Oldie but a newbie

OZ e flyer

Hi all from down under,

Been reading this site and RCM&E for a while now and have been inspired to buy a plane (Apprentice Se), get flying and I am now about to embark on my first free plan build (Sleeker).

Balsa sizes have been a bit of a challenge for me as all the sizes on the plans are imperial but in Australia we only do metric. Anyway got that sorted as best as possible and have just started cutting wing ribs. I will probably join or start a thread (Ton's free plan thread maybe?) to entertain everyone with my noob mistakes but, I hope I get as much great advice as I have seen posted in other threads.

Anyway keep up the great work on the site and Fair winds to All.

TP

Advert

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Do you remember where you went in Perth Glynn? Just starting out so on the look out for a club close by me.

John, I will definitely post pics as I go.

I just finished my first build to "get my eye in" so to speak. A little rubber band powered Guillows bi-plane. I enjoyed it and it taught me a thing or two about accuracy (and reading instructions properly. Lol) It hasn't been flown and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about flying it as it's quite delicate and looks nice not all busted up. Will wait for a perfectly calm day and then launch on soft sand I think. I know, chicken s... right? 😂

Anyway I will put a pic of it up as soon as I work out how. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

TP

Thanks Denis. Just have to work out how to get the pics from my phone to my laptop. Techo things not working for me just now. Anyway I will definitely post pics.

Glynn I know the area well. Nice field. A bit far away for me. I'm closer to Perth when I'm home. I work away in the mines. 2 weeks away one week home. which means my builds are a bit slower as well unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to fly the bipe T.P. - Mind you I'm not sure about over sand - if I am concerned about a new plane my first (hand launched) flight is over long, I do mean long, grass, as in ready to cut for hay or silage. As an alternative, hand launch over bracken or heather - or an Antipodean equivalent. Oh, and ideally into just a whisper (2-3mph) of head wind. Then, even if she 'arrives' rather than lands the first few times she shouldn't get damaged.