Renewing Your Driving Licence At 70

Dai Fledermaus

With my 70 th approaching, I've just had notice from the DVLA to renew my driving licence.

Having now done it online, because it's a little easier as a passport holder, they want me to cut up my old paper licence and return it to the DVLA, because you can't have two driving licences at one time. That's fair enough, but this requirement seems to imply that I should do it now.

The problem is that my natural caution is telling me to wait until the new one arrives.

Advert

Be warned, if you wish to retain C1 after 70 then take early action concerning medical etc and apply as soon as form received. I need C1 to drive my motorhome as weight is over 3500kg and as I have circulation problems had to have a treadmill test, paid by DVLA,. Two years to next test and I will be fitter and loose weight as I scraped through this time.

For a few weeks my licence had expired due to DVLA delays, but as I was unaware of any reason why renewal could be declined was able to drive. My point to DVLA was, try explaining that to a Spanish policeman.

I would take great care to check the entitlements you have on your new licence before returning your old one. I have two friends who have lost their motorcycle entitlements. One doesn't ride any more so no problems for him but the other one wants to and has had a long running battle with DVLA. Even though he knows all the details of his test pass they cannot find the records and won't give it back to him.
You can log into the DVLA website and check your entitlements. It appears to have happened to many people when they changed computer systems some years ago.

Shaunie.

Do not destroy old licence till you receive new one. instructions on web say retain till receipt of new one and specify a time scale when if you do not get it to notify DVLA. To retain C1 you must renew by post with a form. do it on the web and it is automatically removed. (to prevent to many geriatric minibus drivers). Another renewal required at 73 for those of us planning to hang about longerdevil

My renewal was almost automatic .I was asked by DVLA If I wished to renew. If do answer the medical questions My passport had expired but I already had a paoer ==licence they usd the photo on that I was only asked to destroy my old licence and I still have the paper counterpart Odd They must trust me I suppose angel

Just checked my entitlements on the website, most of it appears fine except that I have a full D1E (minibus with trailer, not for hire or reward) but only a provisional D1 (minibus, not for hire or reward), how can that be? I can legally drive with a trailer but not without one!

My paper licence has full entitlement for both. Could be a problem as I test drive minibuses from time to time. That'll be fun getting that corrected.

Shaunie.

Of course you won't have two licences for long even if you keep the old paper one - because the paper one expires on your 70th birthday. My view is never destroy an important printed document in case computers fail.

Note that if you hire a car the car hire company probably needs a printout of the info that would have been on your old paper one. ( Crazy! ) You get that info online from DVLA and it lasts for just a week or so, so you need to do it just before each hiring. Hertz website explains which countries require it for their hires , but I think they always need it in England. ( in practice Hertz didn't ask me for the printout in Austria or Majorca this year even though their website advised it's needed in the Balearics. They asked for it in England though)

Just as a postscript. I started this post yesterday morning having made the online application on Tuesday of this week. By lunchtime yesterday my new licence had arrived, so the process is very quick. Having said that, I still think hanging on to your old licence until the new one arrives is good advice. Mail does get delayed sometimes or goes missing altogether.