Field Battery

Steven Glazzard

Hi Lads and Lasses, I'm attempting to return to R/C model flying, last time was in 27MHz AM days. Can I trouble you to give guidance please with regard to: Q1: Recommend a suitable Field Battery Capacity in Amps, (Leisure Type), Q2: Build size for a Field Flight Box, (Battery, Fuel Bottle, Power Panel, Tools etc. etc.)

If the near future I 'd like to try electric flight, do I need to consider the battery amperage size with regard to re-charging the lipo battery?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks folks.

Advert

It looks like you are IC Steven, and minimally a 7 Amp gel cell alarm battery will keep you going with starter and plug for a week or two between charging, but ideally a 12 - 17 Amp will require less charging.

A flight box can be bought as a kit, but its base would be approx 12 x 24 inches in old money.

Field charging varies from your requirements to fly. As an example, at the low end, look up a B6 12v field charger, minimum, this then escalates for 4s to 6s charging that is another ball game that you have not reached as yet

Edited By Denis Watkins on 18/01/2017 16:01:44

"Q1: Recommend a suitable Field Battery Capacity in Amps, (Leisure Type), Q2: Build size for a Field Flight Box, (Battery, Fuel Bottle, Power Panel, Tools etc. etc.)"

Sounds like you're going the glow route;

7Ah gel cell is plenty for standard size starters.

Flight box, mines the width of a gallon carton, which goes sideways on one end, and the 7Ah goes sideways at the other. Space in between has a couple of drawers and a tray. Pretty much as per here:

http://rcdata.ir/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Field-Box-Plan.pdf

Everything cut from one 4' x 2' sheet of cheap DIY shop 1/4" ply (except the drawers and the handle).

Can't help much with electric, but I'd imagine the biggest 12V battery you can move without injury would be about right for field charging.

As Percy says, flight boxes are a personal thing. For me it was weight as at my old field there was a 200m walk from car to strip. So I opted to use 3s Lipo's for my starter battery as they were significantly lighter than gel cells, also, used a half gallon fuel bottle as opposed to a full bottle, as I rarely used more than that in the engine sizes I was using..

"used a half gallon fuel bottle as opposed to a full bottle"

half a gallon in a gallon bottle also works quite well smiley

lipo in place of the gel cell is a good idea though I guess it might depend on whether you already have a suitable charger (hence gel cell for me).

Posted by Steven Glazzard on 18/01/2017 15:18:54:

...If in the near future I 'd like to try electric flight, do I need to consider the battery amperage size with regard to re-charging the lipo battery?

Assuming you are starting back with IC I would not think about field charging requirements for electric at this point. This is because a) you have no idea what type of electric models and battery packs you will be using, and b) any leisure battery you buy for electric is going to be a lot bigger and heavier than it needs to be for your IC use. AS per some of the above posts unless you regularly fly all day from a field with no electricity supply it is not normally required to field charge any more; buyng more lipos is generally cheaper and easier than buying and lugging about the field charging gear. Alternatively join a club with charging facilities and there is no need for extra batteries of either type!

Edited By MattyB on 18/01/2017 16:40:20

Hi all,

Sorry, too many replies to thank individually by name. Many, many thanks for your individual very quick replies. I've now joined a club and I'm going to attempt my accreditation as an "A Cert" holder using an "Arising Star" aircraft, fitted with a .46 ASP glow engine and guidance from fellow club members.

What I have found is that the R/C people somehow group together and that bond does not seem to lose itself over the years. Many thanks people, much appreciated!

Hi Steven and welcome back

I’m an IC user and have been using the same Lipo 2s 4000mAh battery for my electric starter for the past three years. I almost never charge at the field and my starter battery only needs a recharge a few times a year.

If you are going to build your own field box feel free to download my excel sheet of an adjustable field box plan

You can see my starter and starter battery on the table.

B.

Edited By Birgir on 18/01/2017 17:50:08

The normal 12volt 7 amp gel cell used for starter motors can also be used to give a couple of charges to Lipos for a few extra electric flights. Obviously how useful this is depends what size Lipos need charging - but for example my tired old 12 volt 7A recharged several 3S2200 Lipos at the flight line. Best thing is it keeps the gel cell in use throughout the year instead of deteriorating when IC is not being used.

Check out The Component Shop for deals on 12volt and 2 volt gel cells & don't forget that your old nicads from years ago will need replacing.

Ideally you will probably need different battery's for your two different activities. Something line a 7Ah for your ic starter (or the lipo options as already suggested) And for field charging a leisure battery of about 85 or 110 Ah for Having said that I do know a few people who carry an 85Ah for their glow starting so if you are happy to carry that then why not

I'm with mr stones, a toolbox with lid is my preferred option. My flightbox is some 10yrs old and is still one of my better modelling accomplishments!!, shame it don't fly as all other aspects meet with all key principles of crafting a solution / end product.. it has been the subject of many modeller envy!!!cheeky

I do the same as Slim and others. I use an all hard plastic toolbox 19"x10"x10" it's light and waterproof (Halfords, B&Q etc). It stores my Tx, all necessary tools and I have many (one for every conceivable problem) and electric starter with 3s lipo - which I don't use these days, much prefer to hand start so kit is even lighter. Half gallon fuel, handpump and AR oil in plastic bag and I'm good to go. Oh not to forget the fuselage, wing and foam stand.

I prescribe to the 'KISS' principle.

Edited By ASH. on 18/01/2017 20:15:54