Dubai announces passenger drone plans

Advert

I was amused by the comment made by Dr Steve Wright that he would have to be taken on board Kicking and screaming. I couldn't quite work out if there is an on-board pilot or if it's remotely controlled. In either case I think I go with Dr Wright's assessment.

I'm not absolutely sure but I suspect Dr Wright may have been a graduate trainee I interviewed for a post in the electronics and instrumentation dept at RR Derby back in around 1990. I know he moved to Bristol after working at RR and he was certainly a very bright lad. His then girl friend did work for me and she too was a lot cleverer than I am

Geoff

Dr Steve Wright, senior lecturer in avionics and aircraft systems at the University of the West of England, told the BBC that safety would have to be paramount.

"The way these systems work, making them work normally is easy. The tricky bit is making systems that are resilient to failure," he said.

"I would like to see the drone flying for at least 1000 hours before I saw a human in it."

Crying laughing ,but something tells me these motor car things will never take off......

Dr Wright added that he would not be volunteering for an early flight.

"I'd have to be taken on board kicking and screaming."

Edited By Jonathan Blackmore on 15/02/2017 12:03:43

• 1 month later...

Hello Geoff Sleath

Ha! Found you at last. Delighted to hear that somehow we have both survived the intervening decades. I was wondering about you just the other day (not like I fancy you or anything you understand...)

I should stress to the forum that Goeff's influence on my life and career was far greater and more valuable than merely giving me a job at RR.

It would excellent to make contact and swap drone/model stories - google "steve wright uwe" to cut through the cyber-haze.

In the meantime, this might amuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0GUTAdDpJs

Best wishes

Steve