Time to change car

David P Williams

Well, the Mondeo estate is six years old and getting a bit rattly, so fancy a change. SWMBO fancies one of these SUV style things - the reviews and advertising for the new Seat Ateca are catching her eye, but I'm not sure that type of vehicle is a good model carrier compared to an estate car - am I wrong?

My most likely move is to downsize slightly to a 6 month to a year old Focus estate but could anyone out there with one of these run a tape measure in the back with the seats down please? I would like to know how much shorter the load area would be than the Mondeo. Do the seats fold down flat?

Thanks, David

I'm a Mondeo man too, anything smaller just won't do. I got it because it's the floor space that matters most to me, if I can't get my SE5a in fully assembled plus another model or two plus field equipment it's no good to me. Be careful with the specs for those SUV types, might have a lot of volume but a lot of that is floor to ceiling.

That's what I've found anyway.

Thanks chaps, I know what you mean about anything else feeling small after the Mondeo. Its an hours drive to any flying club from here, so I tend to take a selection of models plus supplies for the day and the floorspace available makes it easy. I did baffle the Seat salesman by getting him to fold the seats down (they don't go flat) and measuring the loadspace. About 1.6m long, so a tight fit for things like my Wots Wot XL.

It is annoying that all the references for loadspace are in litres, when I need to know the floorspace.

Anyone out there able to measure a Focus estate for me please?

I've just got a new Mondeo Estate. Very nice indeed!

All depends on how large you models are. Octavia, Superb, Golf, Passat, Mondeo or up to an Smax, Galaxy etc. Not really much to tell between any of them.

I'd go for a Superb estate or a VW or Ford people carrier if you're carrying models. I've got a van, so keep the car for non modelling.

Thankfully Percy has got you the info!

Being on a slightly lower than Mondeo and Focus budget, I have been looking at the same issue. Clearly the SUVs are of no use whatsoever.

Two interesting cars I have found are the Renault Twingo because the seats fold to produce a perfectly flat load space from the passenger side dashboard to the tailgate - in complete contrast to my C1 which doesn't! The other is the Dacia Logan with the 900cc Ecoboost type engine (turbocharger with variable inlet valves to provide the throttle control). Put aside the Auto Express hype, it is the old model Clio with the new model Clio systems, sold as the Renault Logan in many parts of the world, and every owner I have spoken to likes them.

Edited By John Emms - Puffin Models on 16/02/2017 21:08:44

Posted by ted hughes on 17/02/2017 06:39:03:

Don't get a diesel whatever car you get.

They are already being penalised with higher parking charges in some cities, and there is talk of them being banned altogether:**LINK**

Edited By ted hughes on 17/02/2017 06:58:21

They may ban the future production of diesel vehicles in coming years but they are not going to ban diesel vehicles that are already in existence. Just the flavour of the month, next year it''ll be the fact that Hybrids do more overall damage to the environment from manufacture to disposal, with all the battery material that is extracted from all over the world. A Prius' batteries contain material from Canada and South Africa and are shipped to Europe for assembly, then the batteries are sent to Japan and the car is made, then the car is shipped to wherever in the world it has been bought. My new horrible, nasty diesel..I know i'll rot in the flames of hell. Mondeo was built in Spain, then shipped here..end of story.

The big thing people should be worried about is the VED changes in April. If you own a small 'eco-friendly' city car that currently have low tax then be prepared for a shock!!

The diesel thing is part of the problem I have. I said I would not have another diesel when I was shopping for my current car nearly 4 years ago - I only do 8000-9000 miles a year and a lot of it is short (<30miles) local trips.

The problem is that in the second hand market for model carrying type vehicles like estate cars, the vast majority are diesels. Finding a decent spec petrol one with a decent engine seems difficult, especially when you live a long way from any large towns or cities as I do.

Manufacturers over the last few years put all the effort into diesel models and the petrol versions appeared like an afterthought, or the basic entry level model with a puny engine that allowed them to advertise a low "starting from" price.

Things appear to be changing - new models, such as the Ateca I looked at, have good petrol options through the range, but it will take time for this to filter into the second hand market.

I'm extremely reluctant to buy new having dropped 18 grand in a couple of years on a new Jaguar I bought years ago back when I was still working. Now properly retired I have to make optimum use of the pension and non-increasing savings, so would be happier spending 10-12K plus the value of my current Mondeo (not much!) rather than 20K+. Anyway, no point having a really nice car round here as it's all narrow muddy lanes full of potholes and you spend a lot of time squeezing into hedges to make room for tractors the size of earthmovers, huge artics full of sheep, and school buses.

So - round and round the decision loop I go and I know the answer is probably either to keep the Mondeo estate I have and just patch it as it goes (will be less than 10-12K over the next 3 years) or swap it for a 2 or 3 year old petrol version if I can find one.

Posted by Chris Whalley on 17/02/2017 08:27:42:

If they do ban diesels there's going to be an awful lot of vans and hgv's going spare!!!

Quite. I'm not supporting the backlash against diesels, I'm just pointing it out.

The harm diesel emissions do was not considered by Gordon Brown's government when they brought in the current tax bands.

Posted by David P Williams on 17/02/2017 09:16:22:

The diesel thing is part of the problem I have. I said I would not have another diesel when I was shopping for my current car nearly 4 years ago - I only do 8000-9000 miles a year and a lot of it is short (<30miles) local trips.

The problem is that in the second hand market for model carrying type vehicles like estate cars, the vast majority are diesels. Finding a decent spec petrol one with a decent engine seems difficult, especially when you live a long way from any large towns or cities as I do.

Manufacturers over the last few years put all the effort into diesel models and the petrol versions appeared like an afterthought, or the basic entry level model with a puny engine that allowed them to advertise a low "starting from" price.

Things appear to be changing - new models, such as the Ateca I looked at, have good petrol options through the range, but it will take time for this to filter into the second hand market.

I'm extremely reluctant to buy new having dropped 18 grand in a couple of years on a new Jaguar I bought years ago back when I was still working. Now properly retired I have to make optimum use of the pension and non-increasing savings, so would be happier spending 10-12K plus the value of my current Mondeo (not much!) rather than 20K+. Anyway, no point having a really nice car round here as it's all narrow muddy lanes full of potholes and you spend a lot of time squeezing into hedges to make room for tractors the size of earthmovers, huge artics full of sheep, and school buses.

So - round and round the decision loop I go and I know the answer is probably either to keep the Mondeo estate I have and just patch it as it goes (will be less than 10-12K over the next 3 years) or swap it for a 2 or 3 year old petrol version if I can find one.

Apparently the cheapest way to run a car is to buy one a year old and keep it until repairs are un-economic (that came from a money-saving website, for what it is worth).