Time to change car

David P Williams

Posted by Andy G. on 17/02/2017 08:37:11:

Take a look at the Honda Jazz. Plenty big enough for my gliders or power models plus flying gear, seats fold totally flat in seconds. Comfy,quick and very economical on fuel. When I was looking for cars the totally flat and large headspace was top of my list.

I have to say that the Jazz is also on my own short list of interesting vehicles for our use. I like the fact that the Jazz are not using turbos, Honda are consistently in the top 3 on used vehicle reliability, and the base models are more than well enough equipped for my own requirements.

Diesel has been favoured by German manufacturers for a number of reasons, and looking at VW vehicles (include Audi, Seat, Skoda and Porsche in that), there seemed to be a distinct preference for THE 2 litre diesel engine, but of couse VW have announced a pretty much complete move from diesel to electric.

Diesel was favoured for it's greater fuel economy, but that is now pretty much being matched by the huge advances in very recent petrol engine design. The real issue for the user of private diesel cars is that if we are not regularly doing motorway type driving, then the DPF regen is not happening, and that is required very regularly on Euro 6 - dilution of the engine oil has also been a problem with DPF regen. That is why, unless I really need a large car or diesel, all the cars on my short list are petrol.

In the short to medium term, there is no escape from diesel for commercial vehicles, and they are large enough (and expensive enough) to carry the bulk and cost of effective after treatment for the main issues, particulates and oxides of nitrogen.

On the tax, if you are looking at a less than (or close to) 100g car, then buy now, but if you want a Mustang (less economical and less that £40k) , then the one to have is one registered after the 1st of April.

Advert

David, it's worth a browse around the Honest John website - loads of info and feedback there.

We've got a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross, which is an SUV type thing. The seats fold flat and there's a decent amount of space, but the load length is not as good as a conventional estate. Lots of kit for the money and our 1.6 petrol can do 50mpg on a run. Ours is a 2014 model, the latest petrols are 1.0 turbos.

I drove a 1 litre turbo petrol Astra for a couple of days last summer. Brilliant performance and 50mpg on A road driving. The estate could be worth a look.

Posted by ted hughes on 17/02/2017 09:49:39:

Apparently the cheapest way to run a car is to buy one a year old and keep it until repairs are un-economic (that came from a money-saving website, for what it is worth).

That's what we've done. We've been running a Mitsubishi Space Star for the past 12 years or so and it's just passed its latest MoT a few days ago. It spends most of its time with the seats folded as I use it to transport models, my wife to take her garden rubbish to the tip and both of us to carry bikes. It still goes very well with its 1.6 litre petrol engine and fuel economy is OK as we don't do a big mileage anyway (bus passes, bikes and walking take care of lots of journeys). However we're toying with the idea of a change, even though the guy who does our servicing wonders why we're bothering.

Because our needs are primarily for carting stuff about and a bit of extra headroom would make carrying bikes easier (ie upright rather than lying down) we're looking at cars that look like vans with windows (or even a van). We certainly don't want a diesel - my wife's been a member of the Green Party since it was called the Ecology Party and she wouldn't allow it So it's :

Ciroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner Tepee (same vehicle but different badges)

Renault Kangoo

Skoda Roomster (we had a Favorit estate we could even get out tandem inside with the seats removed and the rear wheel between the front seats but our new tandem is a bit longer so no chance with most cars)

I think we favour the Roomster if we do spend some savings. Anyone with any experience of any of them?

Geoff

Apparently the cheapest way to run a car is to buy one a year old and keep it until repairs are un-economic (that came from a money-saving website, for what it is worth).

That is sage advice Ted the only trouble is, how do you know when it has become un-economic with repairs? I'll explain... I bought a four old Disco 3 with 26K on the clock from a friend. Was a brilliant car for towing, until it was twelve years old, then in the 13th year things started to go wrong. First it was the alternator, so you wouldn't ditch it for that. Then rats ate the fuel tank! ( I didn't make that up) That could have happened to a new car. Then a wheel bearing went. On it's own no big deal. Finally a timing chain tentioner failed with the consequence that a piston struck a valve which totalled the engine (I had already had new timing chains fitted). Although the car didn't have a spot of rust on it and had only done 115K by then, the car was un-economic to repair, so a right off. Clearly I should have sold it in it's twelfth year, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? On the other hand, the turbo on my previous Disco failed six months after I sold it, so on that occasion I replaced it at the right time. You just need a crystal ball when it comes to cars.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/02/2017 12:03:00

Hi David

Looks like keeping your old banger is favorite, but if you do decide to downsize another option would be a Skoda Roomster. Mine is a 1.2 turbo petrol and is quite nippy although they do a more powerful version which is also used in their biggest cars.

I bought mine new 3 years ago for 10k although they don't seem to advertise them now ( probably a new model imminent ), as the name suggests it's roomy, basically a van with quirky styling and lots of glass, including the roof on mine. Rear seats are removable

Ron

Posted by ron evans on 17/02/2017 12:46:10:

Geoff, just spotted your post, not sure you'd get a tandem in a Roomster...it's tall but I doubt it would be long enough. I'd try getting your bike in before you buy... I've had some strange looks from car salesmen when measuring up carssmiley

Thanks, Ron. I wasn't expecting to be able to get our new tandem inside. It's a Cannondale and it's much roomier for the stoker and hence about 150mm longer than our old hand-built 531 steel one.

One thing does concern me is the spare wheel, or lack of one. It seems that there seems to be a tendency to supply a tyre repair kit (presumably an aerosol) rather than a spare. I'm certainly not happy with that. I have in the past had a tyre disintegrate whilst on the M1 (amazingly I hardly noticed that it had failed - nearside rear on a Peugeot 104) and would have been stuck without a spare wheel.

For me, a car is merely a domestic appliance and as interesting a fridge. The only car I really enjoyed owning was a Mk4 Austin-Healey Sprite in which we drove over 100k miles. At that time we were sailing a lot so, as long as it had a tow bar for our dinghy trailer, size wasn't a factor.

Geoff

Posted by ted hughes on 17/02/2017 09:49:39:

I kept my last Mitsubishi SUV for 5 years from new, and traded it in with 40,000 on the clock. I got over 50% back against the list price of a new one. That worked out at just £2000 a year in depreciation, and the only things replaced were the tyres.

Well, I'm hanging on to my 2008 2.0 Diesel Mondeo Estate. I've had it from new and she's done 126000 miles (new cam belt due). I only do 6000 miles annually now, I've looked after the car carefully, it has a spotless interior and the only marks on the exterior are those courtesy of the numpties in carparks carelessly throwing open their car doorsangry. and the inevitable motorway stone chips at the front. Pulls our little caravan nicely, so why should I even consider throwing thousands of pounds down the drain on something newer packed with all sorts of techno-junk that I don't need and will cost a king's ransom to repair if it goes wrong? 55 mpg on a run when not towing, 33 if you stick to a steady 55mph with the van. Road tax is a pain, but is nothing against the eye watering depreciation on a new vehicle. One pays one's money etc.

Posted by ron evans on 17/02/2017 12:46:10:

For me, a car is merely a domestic appliance and as interesting a fridge. The only car I really enjoyed owning was a Mk4 Austin-Healey Sprite in which we drove over 100k miles. At that time we were sailing a lot so, as long as it had a tow bar for our dinghy trailer, size wasn't a factor.

Having started life in commercial fleet maintenance, I have the same feelings about cars, though I absolutely love driving my current C1. The car will fit all normal electric models in, so two 1,5m aerobatic models can be taken to the field easily and economically.

My idea would be a 2m to 2.5m trailer with hard top, but unfortunately it would be illegal to tow with my car. Sandra's previous car was a Suzuki Liana, like all of the last 4 cars we owned, bought at 1 year old, and disposed of once they pass the 10 year mark. A perfect solution for me would be the very Liana like Swift, and a trailer for the weekend. Yes, allow £1500 to £2000 for the trailer, but that can easily be offset against the costs of a larger car **LINK**

I'm with you Geoff on the no spare wheel thing. Unfortunately I didn't notice 'till after I'd bought the car..frown.there is room in the boot...it's an optional extra.

Pleased so far with the Roomster....my previous Fabia had its battery replaced at 9 years and now at 13years is still in the family and still with the same exhaust.

My Phoenix 2k goes in the Roomster in one piece, but a front seat passenger would have a wingtip in his earsmiley

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 17/02/2017 14:46:05

David, six years old is nothing, what's the mileage? Is it falling apart?

We bought a 100k miles 10 year old X5 a year ago, put a new gearbox in it, and fingers crossed, it should be good for at least another 100k.

In my mind it is time to change when the cost of repairs start exceeding the value.

Edited By Rich2 on 17/02/2017 16:06:45

Bought a 1998 Volvo V70 in 2001 for £10K. It now has 186000 on the clock, will cruise at 80 and do 34MPG while doing it. Total "repair" cost in the last 16 years £300, sails through the MOT no problems. Replaced 2 sets of tyres and one set of break pads. Will carry models plus camping gear and dogs. What more do you want?. smiley

Posted by Cuban8 on 17/02/2017 13:51:41:

Well, I'm hanging on to my 2008 2.0 Diesel Mondeo Estate. I've had it from new and she's done 126000 miles (new cam belt due).

Did Ford change the engine, I had a 2004 2.0 Diesel Mondeo estate and it had a timing chain and not a cam belt.

Mine started to to suffer from all the ancillaries going wrong at 90k, water pump, power steering pump, coil springs on the front and wheel bearings, but the engine still pulled really well.

One vehicle you should consider is the Skoda Octavia - the saloon has a boot as long as the estate and bigger than the Golf estate I think. A new facelifted version has been anounced so there may be bargains in the old model - look for an old model that is still new and could be heavily dicounted..

For sheer trouble free motoring a Toyota should be considered - my old Carina is now about 20 years old and still going strong and passed every MOT (17 times! ) without anything being done. Consider the Avensis now.

I had to change vehicles last year and, like some on here, didn't want to go down the diesel route as I do approx 5000/yr and most journeys are less than 5 miles. This pretty much rules out the Mondeo unless you get it to order. I narrowed it down to and Octavia, Superb or Avensis. None are all that common but I managed to acquire an Avensis and have been really happy with it. I can get 3 .60 size models in with ease.

Do what I did and buy a large Transit as a second vehicle. Reliable, cheap to run and you can get as many models as you like in the back. If the time comes when I have to choose then the Audi would be the one to go, much as I like it. A van may not be to your taste but I bought one for a very reasonable price for other reasons originally but would not be without it now.

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/02/2017 21:28:19:

Well Michael, I'm afraid I'd beg to differ. I'd rather walk than buy an Alfa Romeo. In fact if you bought one, you'd almost certainly end up walking at some point, such is their somewhat tarnished reliability record. Indeed, it might be fair to say that most Italian produced vehicles have a less then good reputation here. Sure, they're better than they once were, but they don't clock up big sales in the UK.

It was just an example, Percy and irrespective of reliability or lack of, the new Spyder is a very attractive car at least to my eyes. It should be reasonably reliable, though. It's built by Mazda, after all.

Don't like the Alfa? Get an MX5. Basically the same car