Time to change car

David P Williams

I part ex'd my Skoda Superb that was subject to the emissions issue for a new Mondeo and got above the book value for it. 35000 miles and just under 4 yrs old. Prices and therefore demand not affected by something that in reality isn't an issue for most motorists. Most companies use tricks to get around quoting real life MPG and emissions. The Ford dealer told me when I was ordering my 2L 180PS Auto Mondeo Diesel Estate. The salesman said that they quote 55mpg combined but you won't get it, I accept that. After 3800 miles since October i'm getting 44mpg with mostly short city runs, thats ok. The salesman said they test they vehicles with mirrors folded, all the shut lines taped up and wipers removed etc, no lights or heating/aircon on, a virtually empty tank, no spare wheel and factor for a light driver. Of course they do that and I'm not worried, I accept I've taken a hit from averaging 53mpg on the 6spd 140 manual diesel Superb estate to 44 on the Ford. I did 6 months research across all makes, read reviews and did some driving and arrived at the best car I considered best for me. 5 months on and I've not had one bit of buyers remorse which I have had with my previous vehicles, probably because I did so much research and drove several makes and models until I was happy.

You does your research and you spends your money!

Advert

Posted by ChrisB on 18/02/2017 09:37:23:
bought a van instead..best thing i ever did!

Vans rock, You can even sleep in them, make cuppas with a gas stove on a table,or hide from the rain/wind/bad flyers....devil  Also stuff comes out in one piece, but doesn't always go back in in one.

Cheers

D.D.

img_20160530_135225.jpg

img_20160725_122423.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 18/02/2017 21:53:48

I think the official tests are still carried out on rolling roads in a lab, which of course makes no allowance for aerodynamic drag. To be honest, it must be difficult to devise a test that is repeatable and gives realistic real-world results.

To their credit, Renault have been open with their latest electric model. The new 40kWh Zoe has an official range of 240 miles, but Renault state that in real life the most you will get is 180 miles.

For fossil fuels, it is the turbocharged models that differ most from the official figures. Our 1.6 petrol normally aspirated Suzuki is supposed to do 51mpg and I can acheve 50. The Fiat 500 875cc turbo we just sold has an official average of 68mpg, the most I ever got was 57, and it was usually 50 or less. Not Fiat's fault, they were complying with the test procedure. Apparently this is being changed, we'll wait and see.

Regarding the simpler, more reliable older diesels, I was following an 06 reg Focus today, and every time it accelerated I was enveloped in a cloud of soot. I hope the pollen filter dealt with most of it, and that these abominations are taken off the road ASAP.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Vauxhall Insignia estate ?

No ? Then I will.

Don't get one. Mine is dreadful, huge mistake to get after my old Mondeo. The rear seats don't go flat and the rear end is rounded off (not good for big models) Driving wise, it's flakey, almost got a mind if its own, and don't get me started on that fu%?#@g electronic handbrake ...

In 80K it's had several problems including a new clutch, gearbox, flywheel and brake bits. In 4 years the Mondeo blew a headlight bulb.

It's up for renewal in June thank gawd, Mondeo all the way now.

Just a quick correction - the new Mazda MX5 was developed alongside Alfa, but that relationship went awry and the Italian version is the new Fiat 124, which is essentially the same car but with a different engine.

I have the MX5 (well, my wife usually drives it) and you're quite right it is not a good modelling car - I can get a 40 size pattern type model and an Erwin in the passenger sea, but that's about it!

Its great to drive though, a huge improvement on the old model, and, only having a 1500cc engine means it can be fun to drive without going stupidly quickly....

The Alfa Spyder is a totally different beast.

I had three volvo estates in the past, including a V70 T5, which was a flying machine but very thirsty, and I now run a 420D BMW coupe - rear seats fold flat to get most things in, but I do miss the practicality of an estate car.

At work we have a Mondeo 2.2 estate and a Hyundai I40 estate, which is a very nice car, but in my view the Mondeo is much better, if you really want people carriers, we also have a Chrysler Voyager which is quite cavernous with the rear seats folded away, but I hate driving that1

Ultimately, cars are very personal things, its a decision really only you can make.

Percy

For an extra £109 you can extend the Dacia warranty to 5yr.

As you say, yer pays yer money.....my needs in a vehicle are quite modest. Of course models must fit in, but after that 1/ it's got to stop.....2/ it's got to go.....3/ economical. You can see I'm no petrol headlaugh

Be a few years before I need to change I hope, but at that price it's worth a test drive.

Before buying a car read what Which? say about it. Even if not a member you can pay a pound and read report on their website. Then hire one and use for a long journey before you commit to a brand new car.

Note that Hertz sell their cars before 13,000 miles and you can just hire their sales cars and then buy it if you like it. However note that some makers guarantees only apply if you buy through a Main dealer! ( check out the wording of those 3 or 5 year warranties ) When looking at 1 year old cars even from Main dealers I found most were just about 13.000 miles indicating to me they were ex hire cars!

Frankly the price of 1 year old cars is not significantly cheaper than a brand new car at a good discount price from CarWow etc. 1 year old ex hire cars are usually the top spec versions but you can get a brand new one of just 1 spec lower for LESS than the cost of that 1 year old that has probably been thrashed by lots of uncaring customers!

I changed from an insignia estate last year to a Honda CR-V and am impressed with the crv . I went for the petrol because I only do about 8k a year and the figures did not add up for a diesel on that mileage. On a run I'm getting 40 mpg . I love the high up seating position and the leg room plus the fact you don't have to haul yourself out of a low down seat after a couple of hours driving. Floor space is pretty good and easily accommodates an acrowot xl and a large seagull fw190 with room for flight box cases etc