The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread

Lucas Hofman

what are peoples thoughts on a yearly mass build aimed at the gliding fraternity??,this would give everyone the choice of one or the other.....unless you are a building colossus,in which case both!!!......l don't see any harm in proposing it in any event,maybe attach a limit of 100"span,scale or sport,slope or flat field,though flat field would probably be the best choice,winch or bungee launch,but run on the same lines as the existing mass build gatherings,its a thought to ponder anyway!!,jack.

I fear you may well be right martin,come on guys,lets put it to the test,lets have a straw poll to gauge the interest-if any-in a glider mass build,my apologies mister moderator if this breaks any rules!!,but if people could just indicate any interest maybe,just maybe,we can get something going,though l am not holding out too much hope here....jack.

P.S,my own suggestions are:- veron impala,veron big impala,chris foss middle phase

Edited By JACK on 11/11/2017 09:07:45

Model flying is a niche interest and within that, model gliding, even more so. Then there there are thermal, slope and PSS as sub-specialities. As far as slope soaring is concerned not everyone lives within a reasonable drive of a suitable and available soaring site. It is hard enough to engender enthusiasm amongst builders to join the Mass Build as it is. Everyone has their current model 'in build' and many are reluctant to start another project before finishing their last. People have so many calls on their free time nowadays. In past Mass Builds, the most successful seem to involve quick, simple models, like Webbit, Sharkface and Pushy Cat. Peter Miller's Ballerina was an exception to this but as a sweet flying club aircraft it was likely to appeal to many. Having said that, Peter's Grumpy Tiger Cub seems to be doing rather well in the current vote, - so much for my theory! Also the PSS A4 Skyhawk MB was very well subscribed too, many being built, even I built one. So perhaps the answer is to pick a subject of the right size to capture peoples imagination? Although a good suggestion, I am not sure Red Eagle does that, even if many have been built to date. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Niche within niche; certainly rings true. Much has been said about the ethos of the mass build concept and being a newcomer I had not appreciated a major them had been quick, simple and cheap when I joined last years build. I have since heard several comments along the lines of ‘whatever floats your boat’. So still not sure what the right ingredients are but I agree with the comments.

I had already decided on my winter project which just happens to be a version of Peter’s Grumpy Tigercub so it did not seem ethical to cast a vote and I too had not expected it to be doing so well in the vote.

I have an old Impala which I fly for relaxation and I used to be a BGA instructor so I have a love of gliding but could not explain to you why I do not choose to build more Gliders.

Still love watching the build forums though whatever the model.

Tim

A very good suggestion from David. So many themes are possible, quite apart from different genres and eras, or, any model from a particular designer too, although I think this was suggested before. I think the biggest obstacle is getting people to vote, let alone build. Apathy rules OK, or it would rule if anyone could be bothered!

Just look at the current vote, I don't detect a lot of enthusiasm? Perhaps some people decide to join in once a model has been chosen? Perhaps people are not thinking about next years build, maybe an annual Mass Build is too often?

Anyway David, a good discussion. Viva la Revolution!

Hi all

If everybody was building to a theme then I think that you would increase the number of people building in the mass build and may well create a lot of interesting blogs.However I took part in the 2016 mass build as a new comer to building planes (but not to model building) and found it a very good idea that people were building the same thing as the information was there to access ie Building issue's were high lighted as people came across them,asking questions resulted in answers from people building the same model.

Would you as a newcomer find your own model to fit within the theme, would the help be as good ( I know the help on here is excellent but I am sure you know what I am driving at ) I also think that it is good to see lots of the same plane being built and to think of all those planes out there .I thought last years was a good choice and the only reason I did not take part was I had a project or two on the go

Still the other side of the coin sometimes things need to evolve, Maybe give it a go one year see what happens my only concern you may not appeal the the new guy.

Kind regards

Tony

I actually prefer the 'Theme' idea and I have tried to group models into Groups where appropriate. I am also a little concerned that we don't have enough votes to make this viable. I think we have more models on the shortlist than votes at the moment.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 13/11/2017 15:55:52

Ok,l seem to have started something here...l hope!.....having read all the posts l find myself to be largely in agreement with everyone,l see nothing wrong with the "THEME"idea,thats an idea worth pursuing,l appreciate that a lot of people cant access slopes for a variety of reasons,however,if the theme were to be based on 100" gliders,it would not only open up the choice of venues,but could generate a slope based meet AND a flat field meet,thus giving the widest range to the possible choices of model,in addition,newcomers to the sport would find the outlay for a model to be considerably less than for a power model...no leccy motors/batteries to buy,or for an I/c model,fuel starter, props,plugs et al.....l am sure most glider guiders have either a winch or bungee they would be willing to let a newcomer use,l think we could have an opportunity here guys,to get a new venture going,l myself don't have the organisational ability to do it,but would support anyone who does!!,at the least we have an interesting discussion underway!!......jack.

Thanks Jack, but i think its too late for this year. I would be intetested as i fly gliders but i don't think we would get many subscribers to the idea. The fact is that no one suggested a glider is a good indication. My experience with the glider build blogs i have done is that there is little interest. Most people here want powered sports fliers and that was reflected in the nominations. Not my choice and personally I would prefer a higher performance model but this generally is not what people want here.

Martyn

Despite your involvement, Martyn...

... only 17 voters as for now with, as you wrote, 17 nominees for the MB... !!! ... ???

What's happening to the forumites here?

I thought last year that Lindsay's Skywiter received a lot of votes but was barely built by its own 'voters' at the end...

... but now even worse - apologies to the gents that lifted their hand - nearly a total absence of voters !!!...

Even with a number of Peter's designs being nominated.

Strange world...

Cheers

Chris

I still have my Skywriter to finish, lost mojo stopped me, feel guilty about it, but life go's on and i'll finish it.

You spend far too much time talking about what is a M/B ? Purpose was/is to get folk building, never has been or ever will be the perfect model. People that joined/built are what made the successful ones good.

Hi All

I joined the 2016 and 2017 mass builds. I have been a model flyer for many years and had almost stopped building due to ARTFs etc. I take RCM&E but had not built from any free plan in yonks. Then along came Ballerina.....

Even before the MB2016 was announced I really liked the plan. It fitted in with my likes and as I had built another Peter Miller design some years ago (Werewolf). Ballerina was ideal so me as I have got a bit fed up with ARTFing. The article in RCM&E for the free plan was so good (and also current) was I feel the overall deciding factor why Ballerina eventually was such a great choice for a MB. On top the designer joined the thread which made a huge difference.

When you look at all the Ballerina builds it almost was in fact a theme. The eventual build was so varied, some followed the plan 100% others went for for electric, there were different build styles (depron) and so on. So MB 2016 morphed into a theme.

MB 2017 was very different. Essential difference was that in 2016 the choice was restricted to a small list (all based on Peters designs). 2017 almost became a free for all for suggestions and 2018 is going the same way. I really liked the Skywriter design and voted for it and I'm still building her. I am actually a slow builder and on occasions can lose interest if I get into the summer months when other interests come into the frame. Looks as if John Stones had the same experience.

So why did the 2017 not succeed when 2016 was so good. The answer for me was simple...Too much choice. The eventual winner (Skywriter) is a very nice looking plane, but for some was more complicated for a short timescale build. Hence in my opinion it eventually appealed to a less wide audience. Not being a current plan may also have had an effect.

I quite like the idea of a theme and perhaps limiting the choice to say free RCM&E plans from the last year would be the way to go. However that could mean lack of choice for a very inexperienced build as some free plans are not always very simple straightforward builds.

I put up Holi as a 2018 contender but looking at the vote Chillbreeze and Grumpy Tigercat look to be more ahead. Tigercat for me would be a no build as I am not into twins.

That it from me.

Best regards

Peter

This is a forum John, so people discuss,- the 2017 MB was not well subscribed. You are right, the purpose was to get folk building, which as far as the MB was concerned didn't happen this year apart from your good self and a couple of others. Hence the discussion as to how it can be done better in future years. So why were so few Skywriters built, as opposed to other MB subjects in previous years? If you don't wish to join that particular discussion but concentrate on building instead, then that is good too.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/11/2017 07:49:30

Well I finished my Skywriter some weeks ago but as my camera went into hiding at about the time I was covering it sadly no photos of that stage. Good news, my camera has come out of hiding so I will post pictures of the finished model soon. As to why there was a small take up of this model? It's a biplane, so twice as many wings to build. Now I quite like building wings so that didn't put me off and besides that I hadn't built a bipe for some years. Other attractions I like stringered fuselages so I was up for the build, but not every ones cup of tea. As for this years list on which I will vote as soon as I've posted this drivel! My first choice will be PM's Cap 20, why? I've had a part kit for a couple of years so its about time it was built. I also like Peter's designs, my hanger contains a Ballerina, last years MB, a Fournier RF4 and a Baby OO-TIT.. Second choice will be a a Flea fli. Why, because i built one in the '70s, great flyer even with the standard servos and Rx of the time. I keep threatening to build it again with modern light weight gear, and I still have the plan I built the original one from! Third Ghost Rider in this case the original '50' Again built it originally in the late 60's fitted with home built RCM&E galloping ghost gear, model flew well, might be tempted to build a 2.4Ghz GG emulation outfit and again I still have the original plan! How sad is that? If none of those designs are chosen then I shall go off in a huffsmiley and build a Spook 96 again because I have the Belair kit and a very nice open rocker OS 60 fs.

So for me the choice whether I join the mass build is down to whether I like the chosen model and what resources I already have to keep the cost to some sort of reasonable bounds.

Whether a 'themed' mass build will work better? probably providing the theme fits reasonably within peoples 'bucket list' of models to build. Should it encourage new builders? Yes but that might restrict the choice to trainers and intermediate aerobatic models of simple construction, where perhaps the MB should encourage participants to extend there building skills.

Time will tell.

I did join the discussion Piers, right from the beginning. M/B is a few years old now therefore lost it's newness ?

PSS lads do regular builds, Danny is doing another join in scale build, Warbird lads have blogs ongoing, all look successful to me, is it the subjects chosen or that people are willing to commit to it and build ? What secret ingredient have they got ?

For me it's simple, they build whilst they talk, this thread undermines your own Voting thread to me.

BEB pulled the Ballerina build together, Peter played a big part in it, it goes nowhere without the builders.

Skywriter ? by far the most votes, yet still it's said, wrong choice, too difficult, and yet you chose it. dont know you see anyone struggle with their build ? again it goes nowhere without the builders.

Ok David,l have replied to your pm,l am know looking into a suitable subject for 100" build,l intend to keep it simple for a variety of reasons,not least of which is l will need to fit it in around my scale projects and find bench room,l will post my choice once l have decided on a subject,l will also post details of where to obtain the plans.....this will be a plan build,not a kit,but hopefully some of you,as per Davids suggestion,will decide to build along,l will be happy to offer help/advice to any newcomers via this forum,and/or PM,more to follow!!!smiley