Fusion 360 for modellers

BobW

Hi folks. I'm preparing a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress so there may be delays in getting files on here initially.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Step 1 Setting up Fusion 360 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHb01iZFlxTHM2UGM/view?usp=sharing

Step 2 Designing a pushrod exit guide (To follow soon)

Step 3 Designing a saddle clamp (To follow soon)

Step 4 ... ?

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Edited By BobW on 10/03/2017 19:41:07

Good Man Bob. I've just read your first pdf, it's excellent, well done.

A lot of us are going beneifit from this.

OG Fusion 360 can be traced back to AutoCAD but I don't know whether it still carries any similarities, I suspect not.

Is there anyone that can run a similar thread for AutoCAD I wonder?

Edited By Ian Jones on 10/03/2017 21:56:18

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Step 4 ... ?

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Woops, spotted my first mistake, I've changed Step 2 to a new version without the mismatch in sizes.blush

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHek8tQURrZU9rNFU/view?usp=sharing

Step 4 ... ?

Edited By BobW on 13/03/2017 07:25:50

Bobw - Thank you for all your instruction so far. Each day I run through it trying to commit it to my old brain. Looking forward to the next instalment.

I have had a look at some of the tutorials available through the help menu. It seems there are at least 2 ways of design.

1. Working with solids as you did in your exercise 1.

2. Working in 2d with sketch and using lot of modifiers, then converting to 3d using extrusion.

I did start look at these tutorials but found it very complicated so I left it.

Graham

Hi Graham. I've worked from a sketch upwards and its fine for certain things but I'm finding starting with a solid is easier for the parts I'm designing. I've used the sketch approach when I made 3D printed wing ribs for my indoor model. I used a number of progs to arrive there. I used Profili2 to get a wing section and took that to a 2D design prog I have used to add parts to it. Then exported that as a .dxf and imported that as a sketch into Fusion 360. It work but I think there's better ways of doing it. The wing ribs worked well but the whole wing printed was a bit of a floppy mess. Worth a go but there's better ways of making a wing. smiley

dscn2839a.jpg

Hi folks, back again. Here's the 3rd Guide to Fusion 360 for modellers with the previous guides now updated to fix a few problems. All the links on my previous posts won't work now and these here are the most current (Just wish I could edit my previous posts and the problem would be solved but there you go)

I need ideas for future guides, some more simple ones like these and maybe some a bit more challenging. What would be good to be able to print for your models? What would be useful? Any ideas, please let me know or I'll end up bumbling along on my own. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

Guide 1 - Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Guide 2 - Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Guide 3 - Designing a saddle clamp **LINK**

Guide 4 - Designing wheels?? (To follow in a while unless I get a better suggestion)

Edited By BobW on 15/03/2017 11:18:21

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

Have enjoyed working through your 1st 2 designs. I've been wondering how does the printer cope with the small overhang when printing the groove on the bottom of the saddle clamp?

A couple of designs worth looking at -

Servo wing frames

A receiver holder with external mounting lugs and arial guides.

Hi Graham. I've not had a problem with the printer and overhangs like that. So long as it's been a curve that's part of a full circle it's been ok up to maybe 10mm dia. I've tried it at around 30mm dia but the top underside has been a bit raggy, not unusable but not as it should be. I think you'd have to build some sort of central support in it that could be cut away after printing but then you would have the problem of cleaning it up so you're probably no better off. The same would apply with putting holes in vertical parts. In some of the things I've done I've put a recess to hold a nut for a bolt to go in and the same there so long as the nut corner is at the top rather than a flat.

Servo wing frames - what size servos? I suppose it doesn't matter as the sizes can be adjusted for whatever you've got and I suppose the same with a receiver holder. I'll give those some thoughts.

Hi Bob, it's good to know what things to look out for when in the design process. At present I don't have a printer to experiment with. Thought it better to get to grips with a CAD program first.

It doesn't, matter what servo it is. It's the development and tools that we are trying to learn to use.

Graham

Like Graham I don't own a printer yet and am trying to get my head around the modeling bit first - challenging for an average age modeler wink

What about a dummy cylinder? I guess you would have to print halves to build the fins vertically and then somehow curved sections between for the barrel, a square base and honeycomb center to reduce filament/weight? Getting way ahead of myself now.

Appreciate the effort BW yes

Hi, I've done dummy cylinders in two ways. I decided to do some for my Flair Baronette triplane, I reckoned I could get 3 dangling below the part cowl so made them as you thought by drawing out the full cylinder and splitting it vertically, printing two halves and gluing them together, also added the valve gear on the top along with the weirdly curved inlet manifold (a pig to draw). I got 3 all made then spent half a day kicking myself as I couldn't fit them cos the engine silencer was in the way!!! Ah well. Also done it the other way by printing individual fin disks and stacking them on top of the other engine parts and each other, a much better result. See my pic of the Mills 0.75 electric in the Show us your 3d prints thread. But yes a dummy cylinders might also be another good project.