Re: Peter Miller's Don't Bin It, Fix It Article

Nightflyer

As an experienced modeller from the days when balsa bashing was the only way to get a model aircraft (unless someone built it for you or you bought a second-hand one at a club auction), it was really great to see Peter's article. There have been a number of discussions of late around ARTF's, kit or plan building and with the number of ARTF's in many clubs these days there must be a fair number of models that have crash or other damage which get consigned to the bin, and this is not necessarily confined to ARTF's for that matter.

There are many modellers who may not know much about building models, or know how to build but do not understand design and construction enough to see the potential recovery of their re-kitted model and Peter's article provides some good advice to all.

Of course there can be times when multiple repairs or the weight gained becomes an issue, but I know of some people who have salvaged some badly damaged models. I think the only thing that would be good as a second article would be to cover how to repair glassfibre or carbon-fibre fuselages and foam wings. Although even these can be repairable.

Sometimes a re-kit is a blessing in disguise. I picked up a"completed" airframe and used it to try and complete my flight training because my trainer was too badly beat up to fix in the season. Well, I wrecked that model too,buutttt....I discovered while picking through the the carcass there were a few reasons why the airplane behaved oddly. Those issues have been dealt with during an extensive rebuild and tweaking of issues. IE: no shear webs, insufficient dihedral bracing, lack of reinforcing on spliced sections... etc. I could have binned the plane and built a kit for the time and effort I spent this winter, but it's been a good lesson for checking things when picking up a model from the hobby shop ceiling. Live and learn...

Edited By William Gordon 1 on 29/04/2017 13:46:07

I have shown these repairs before of crashed ARTF's. I am not sure in the case of the Super Air the repair saved any money compared with the purchase of a new fuselage. However covering of the wings that had become quite punctured was necessary, its just a shame that the manufacturers use such awful covering material which is not easy to repair or remove. I was not responsible for the three crashes but would add that one of he Cougars crashed due to 2.4 GHZ radio failure. I also like carrying out repairs to planes as no stress is involved.

010.jpg

pa250397.jpg

p7150067.jpg

p5270148.jpg

p5280149.jpg

p5310166.jpg

p5310167.jpg

p6070202.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/05/2017 20:12:24

I haven't 'binned' a plane yet. Though I do have one or two that, well, you know. But I can't, not even that tiny 12" glider I made from a plan, but accidentally put a bag full of shopping down on. I'll try to recycle each piece one way or another, one day or another. wink 2

There is Great fun to be had from resurrecting a deceased model.

The following pics show a Boomerang Trainer that is constructed from 3 planes, two Fuselages and a damaged wing, it is still flying today, I passed my "A" with it and so did my mate Johnny.

The 109, I witnessed hitting the ground so hard there was hardly anything left, I said I could repair it and was laughed off the patch. I made a motor mount, the original was a lump of 1" ply with 2" screws in it. The Cowl was in 3 bits, and the wings were broken in half

D.D.pic_2900.jpg

pic_2846.jpg

pic_2843.jpg

pic_2527.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This Seagull plane crashed yesterday. It's almost new but suffered an aileron failure on take off . The owner was thinking of binning it but I was sure it could be repaired,so I got the job. I started the repair today but it is like making a puzzle with bits you cannot locate and other bits missing. Fortunately the wings were virtually undamaged. Not sure which model it is? The owner has just let me know he has the missing balsa parts, but he lives 50 miles from me !p5310008.jpg

p5310009.jpg

p5310010.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 01/06/2017 20:10:15

Several years back I was asked by a club mate to make him one Sebart Angel 30 out of two damaged ones. So I got the worst bits.

The nose on mine was missing, but I was able to put the intact nose of the good one on to the scanner to print off the shape. I used the photocopy to cut new ply parts.

Then I used block balsa to get to the finished shape.

I now have a nice flying model.

Peter,

I think the missing bits will not be a problem, however every bulkhead in the fuselage has broken with some bits in situ but most not. Even the front ply bulkhead with the engine mount has suffered. I have noted that the tank and battery support structure and the servo tray will be difficult to install if I complete the fuselage repair first, so both operations need to be carried out together. The fuselage sides are only 1/16 balsa sheet so they are very flimsy and it's no wonder one of the fuselage sides shattered. The same is true with the balsa covering on the bottom of the fuselage and strangely the balsa grain runs along the fuselage.All the damaged balsa will need facing with balsa sheet internally between the new or repaired bulkheads and I will need to add thin ply where the fuselage wing ribs /wing fixings are located. I will need to re-cover the fuselage where the original sticky covering had to be removed. However I think I can re-use the self adhesive go faster stripes and other decor. The wing tube bent and has not straightened properly so that needs to be replaced.---How much is a new fuselage?

Seagull Challenger

Some progress made with one side of the fuselage which was extensively damaged. I have had to dismantle this side which I had glued together and replace two bulkheads and repair the front bulkhead. It was necessary to ensure that the fuselage distortion was remedied which seems to be the case. The wing tube shown I have straightened but it will need to be replaced as it is still bent {Anyone know where these tubes are available?)

It would seem that these planes are built with bulkheads attached to one side of the fuselage first and then the other side of the fuselage added and fixed to the bulkheads. Super glue seems to have been used throughout the construction.

p6050011.jpg

p6050012.jpg

Thanks Peter, I have just discovered the short piece of Phenolic tube that fits within the fuselage in amongst the broken plane parts. Also I have just re-fixed the Starboard wing peg that had come adrift and set the wing within the fuselage so that the glues dries with the peg in the right place such that the screw fixing can be made.

Just when things seemed to be going OK I contacted SLEC regarding the Phenolic tube and it seems they cannot provide the right diameter of 16 mm (15.9238 mm). I am now stuck as I need to fix both wings on the Seagull Challenger to check for alignment and distortion.

Anyone know another supplier?

I have just found that Fighter Aces list the 16mm DIA tube

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/06/2017 12:30:36