Anet A8

Geoff Gardiner

john kennedy 4

You don't specify which "slicer" (printing) software you are using but you have to remember that the STL file is just a standard set of data that the "slicer" package has to convert into the actual commands to control the print head.

The basic STL file from something like Thingiverse has to be 'universal' so it will not control all the 'print options'. You have to set them up for your specific package. Unfortunately It can take a bit of reading the 'help' and experimentation before you fully understand what the effect of each option is and how they might interact with each other.

If it did not print the top at all then in, say, Cura there is a specific "top layer thickness" setting which in conjunction with the individual layer height determines how many will be laid down. You need to check what it is set to.

If it tried to print the top but it all went wrong then maybe the issue is with the type and density of the "infill" that is required to physically support the filament of the top layer as it is printed..

It is amazing how quickly the waste bin fills up with scrap as you experiment. wink 2

Thanks Geoff and Simon. Not quite sure what I was doing wrong,maybe I didn't give the leveling process enough attention. Anyway all seems ok now. Got the Spinner made and Grandson gone off to Australia happy now.

The new bed arrived and soon got it fitted. Paid attention to leveling and done quite a few little upgrades for my machine which turned out good.

So not bothered with the Auto leveler.

I will study Cura in more detail re the top thickness. I'm sure I'll get more out of it with practice.

Thanks again. John

Thanks Colin

I looked at the STL samples and they also seem to be faceted although the size of the facets has been reduced. That would do in a pinch but I don't seem to have that option on my Turbocad, probably only available on the pro version. I will definitely look at Fusion 360 before splashing out 100 quid on the TC upgrade.

I am pleased to see 3D printing has made it to this forum. I also have a A8 clone.

I am new to 3D drawing and have found Onshape. Its really easy to use, free and you can export a STL file which is then opened in Cura ( or other slicer).

Only downside (for some) is that it is online only.

Herri

Pete, when you say faceted do you mean the wireframe, or that the render is showing faceted?

If the former, then that is controlled by an icon in the toolbar...

bolt wireframe.jpg

And if I click the wireframe icon, I can select a rendered view. (The icon is highlighted.)

bolt render.jpg

The facets within the render are down to the resolution of the triangles making up the surface - fine resolution means smoother rendering. I have no idea how to change that.

Apologies if you are already aware of the above but it may be useful to people new to TC.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 29/07/2017 21:20:51

Thanks Colin

Yes I'm aware of the way the render works, I had just assumed that when the file was output as an STL it would go back to a smooth curve. In the help files it shows a way of re-setting the 'resolution' of the wireframe but in my software that option does not appear. I assume that this is because I don't have the 'pro' version, although it doesn't say so in the help. Anyway I'll see how I get on with Fusion 360 before I do anything drastic like spending money!

Hi again,looking for some more advice. Just tried to print off a balsa stripper by 'Workshopbob'

When I took the stripper body off the plate it was very flexible and 'dry' looking. It resembled a piece of Shredded Wheat in that the front face started to come away in strings like each layer was not fusing with the previous one.

Anybody any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, John

I don't have one of these printers but the generic method for ensuring the extruder is supplying the correct amount of plastic is to mark the filament 120mm from where it enters the extruder, then set your control software (whatever you are using) to extrude 100mm of filament. You can then measure how much is actually extruded. If you read **LINK** it tells you how you can calculate and enter a new value for your E steps per mm to adjust the amount extruded, alternatively you may be able to enter the value directly via firmware upload.....as I said I don't have an A8 .......

sorry your printer has packed up Tony..what is wrong?  controller board gone south?

Edited By MaL on 12/08/2017 11:04:47

Glad you have sorted it Tony.. It is a common 'problem' with the generic RAMPS board too, although usually down to poor connections at the screw terminals with people using tinned wires or not tightening the screw enough (or not checking it regularly). The 'problem' is that there is a lot of current flowing through the board when the extruder and the bed heater are on together - hence the desire to fit a 3rd party MOSFET driver board for the heated bed and reduce the current flowing through the mainboard......lots of solder on the pcb tracks will help also.

(sorry if this is teaching Granny)