Anet A8

Geoff Gardiner

Hi all. Silly question - If I download something from Thingiverse (ie pilot for a model) is it possible to change the scale (bigger or smaller)? I vaguely remember seeing a scale command in Cura but now can't find it, perhaps I imagined it! I presume it's not possible to get back to the original CAD file and edit it from there?

Posted by Pete Collins on 20/09/2018 12:29:29:

Hi all. Silly question - If I download something from Thingiverse (ie pilot for a model) is it possible to change the scale (bigger or smaller)? I vaguely remember seeing a scale command in Cura but now can't find it, perhaps I imagined it! I presume it's not possible to get back to the original CAD file and edit it from there?

Yes - one of the Markers at the bottom of the screen brings up the scale selection .. you may want to adjust layer height and fill values too if you adjust the scale.

Here is a quick video:

Pete

What you download from Thingiverse is an STL file. This is an 'output' from a CAD programme and contains just the basic drawing instructions which as you surmise it is not possible to modify it directly.

CURA reads the STL file and creates an image for you to see. On command it then "slices" the image into layers that a 3D printer understands as a Gcode file. This is the file that you transfer to the printer.

As Mark points out CURA has a 'scale' function (and a lot else in the latest 3.4.1 version!) which allows you to resize by any amount, limited only by maximum physical size your printer can handle.

I recently changed over to Cura 3.4.1, it's great! I have been printing from the SD card but have now changed to USB printing. I am using Windows 10 64 bit, I now get "wait for user..." which requires that I press the function button on my printer.

Does anyone know why this is happening? It never happened with the SD card!

Well after assembling my A8 from Gearbest, and printing various test bits and upgrade parts, it was time to design and print model bits.

When I built my Chipmunk last year, one of the tricky bits was replicating the bakelite nav light holders -

dhc%201%20024.jpg

I didn't have the printer then, but I do have a lathe, so spent ages making these, out of chemiwood as it happens, not ideal but it's what I had to hand.

img_2775.jpg

These have been fine, until a landing overrun into the tall grass caused damage to a wingtip and broke the nav light. So, after downloading Fusion 360 (the Hobbyist/Startup Business free version), and spending an afternoon with the tutorials learning the basics (I already use Autocad for 2D stuff), I drew up a nav light holder and printed it on the A8

img_8436.jpg

Not too bad for a first attempt I think - a bit of tweaking and it will be fine.

Next challenge is parts for my next project, a Dragon Rapide.