June 2017 RCM&E

Mark Kettle 1

Advert

Personally, I found the new fonts a little harsh and aggressive. At least the magazine layout doesn't use the small dark font over a coloured background anymore, which for me rendered some pages unreadable. I have just taken out a subscription so never noticed a price rise.

New layout clear and likeable, but beware making fonts too small or the style difficult to read.

One of the yachting mags did this a few years ago and got so many complaints about un-readability they had to revert.

Unless the readership is a 20-something demographic with zappy eyesight and superficial processing attitudes... which I somehow don't think RCM&E is!

the mags the mag....its ok...and welcome to the young lass Nikki from me..look's like young Asher's days could be numbered?....first young Beth got her feet under the table and now Nikki ....I would be looking over my shoulder and wot not... teeth 2 ..... go to sleep with one eye open etc.....

ken Anderson..ne...1 ....save young Asher's bacon dept.

Really love the new design, layout and the fonts used;- well done Nikki. Looks a little more slick and modern (a good thing!). Excellent and plentiful content too, a good mix with something for everyone. By the way, Shaun Garity's Column is great and is usually read first;- keep the retro plans coming.

Subscription? = Safe!

I do like the new look and feel of the mag, it comes across as a bit sharper and classy.

Great content this month and I particularly like the Tech Fest slot.

It would be great to see some reviews/comparisons in the "Group Test" style that some mags use of On Screen Display systems with ratings and reccomendations.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 10/05/2017 08:02:30:

I think I'm safe Ken, Nikki is happy just to look after the design 🙂

Ah yes, but when do we get to see the girls flying ? You now have Beth and Nikki in the office and Mrs A taking (rather good) photos. When are they going to feel the joy of committing aviation. That first solo flight. handling the model in less than perfect conditions. The picking up of the pieces afterwards ? devil

We need more women !!! (in the hobby)

Kevinb (confirmed bachelor).

Liked the new look.

However, and this is something I have noticed before, some of the features tend to concentrate on very few models.

For instance the Great Orme article has 21 pictures of which 3 are of the Magister and 3 are of the same Mustang. Also 3 of what appears to be the same Alpha jet. I do not deny they are superb models but over 40% of pictures in one article on just 3 models?

Similarly in the Delyn Fly-in article 5 of the pictures are of Extra or "Extra look-alike" models including two of the same model. A nice model but an ARTF type.

Could we not have a bit more variety please.

Maxg

Posted by MaxG on 15/05/2017 10:07:38:

Could we not have a bit more variety please.

Sure MaxG, build a model and come to an event, then feel qualified to comment.

It’s great to know that building unique models, travelling 7 hours, then taking time out from flying to take pictures is so appreciated.

Matt I think maybe I didn't make my point clear.

The point I am making is that there must have been lots more models at the event and it would have been nice to see some of them as well.

It was not about how nice the model shown are. They look really great. Or how well photographed they are. The photos themselves are great as well.

Wish I could take such good ones and build such great looking models.

It was about picture selection for the articles which I suspect does not do justice to all that were there.

Sorry if I offended you

Maxg

Posted by MaxG on 15/05/2017 11:33:14:

Sorry if I offended you

Maxg

MaxG, as much as I really enjoy this forum I have discovered that it's very easy to ruffle some very sensitive feathers, and there seem quite a few that are very easily ruffled (I won't even go into the PC side of things!), unlike the more hardened forums such as RCGroups and RC-Network. Still, it takes all sorts in this world.

.................Posted by Bill_B on 15/05/2017 11:59:38:
Posted by MaxG on 15/05/2017 11:33:14:

Sorry if I offended you

Maxg

MaxG, as much as I really enjoy this forum I have discovered that it's very easy to ruffle some very sensitive feathers, and there seem quite a few that are very easily ruffled (I won't even go into the PC side of things!), unlike the more hardened forums such as RCGroups and RC-Network. Still, it takes all sorts in this world.

.......................................................................................................................

hello maxg......you are allowed to make a comment.. you didn't upset the forum C of C etc...... and only mentioned what you saw/read.......

ken Anderson...ne...1....... mag content dept....