King Charles 111

cymaz

Whilst not wanting to get into the right and wrongs of history, I thought this was brilliant.

Written in the Shakespearian style and bits of his plays woven together. Well dramatised and beautifully put together. Very modern but very old in feel.

Advert

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did share Martin's unease but thought Charles was portrayed as a principled and thoughtful man. Nicely apolitical prime minister and leader of the opposition. The Shakespearean "flavour" was perfect. It's the sort of thing the Beeb does well and almost justifies the licence fee!!

David

Couldn't stand the style of speech. Turned it off then came back to it a bit later, still didn't like the style. Why do they do that for a present day drama, it does not fit. If they want to make things more 'arty' perhaps we could have the news in prose. Don't like Shakespear either. This may offend the more 'arty' forum members but that's my opinion.

Edited By GONZO on 11/05/2017 11:01:39

I've just watched this on the iPlayer and I agree with Cymaz, absolutely brilliant. The Shakespearean language style suited it perfectly and although it was odd at first it soon became acceptable and unnoticed. I thought the dark side of Kate as a Lady Macbeth figure manipulating all around her came off well.

I'm no Royalist but the conflict over the assent of the Bill limiting press freedom was realistic and genuinely controversial. Well done BBC and especially Tim Piggot Smith in the title role in what was I assume his last performance.

Geoff