Opinions wanted about selling

Hello all, the sad time has come to face fact and accept that I have to sell my beloved aircraft. I can build them but I can't fly them very well and so they sit on the shelves year after year......

I have a Messerschmitt 110 (build blog on this forum somewhere) and was wondering if it would be advisable to try and sell the engines separately to the fuselage. My reason for thinking this is because although they are now old they have not even been run in fully and so have individual appeal and that gives the buyer of the fuselage an option to use electric motors. What are your thoughts? Al

Edited By the unmagnificent man on 03/06/2017 09:19:55

Very sad to hear that Al after all your hard work. I'm sure your 110 gives you pleasure just when sitting on the shelf even if you feel you can't fly it anymore. Keep building as that is half the hobby in my view.

As far as selling is concerned, my instinct would be that the model is worth far more as a 'going concern' - with the engines, ready to fly. It would be quite a faff converting to electric for any prospective buyer in my view. If the engines have not been run-in they are new, even if you bought them a while ago. They would cost a lot more to buy at current prices.

I hope some one on this forum offers you a good price as it looks like a lovely model.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/06/2017 10:51:16

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/06/2017 10:52:16

Ebay works for some things.

I've sold quite a few motors on their, but with that market there are collectors and prospective buyers can happily make snap decisions about something that doesn't take up much storage space. You do get the odd silly question and daft offer, but that's par for the course. The paypal / ebay fees look huge, but I have found that the increased market size of ebay means you generally get a higher selling price in the first place and end up with more in your pocket.

I would however hesitate to put a complete airframe on there.

I ended up placing adverts on here in the classifieds and also on my local sellers site in France. Both are free to advertise and open up the market to people interested in model aircraft. Let them run and see what happens.......

Since I stopped flying I started designing and building model boats (UMM ducks out of the way to avoid being hit by rotten fruit) one thing I noticed that is massively different to aircraft moddeling, apart from the obvious is the fact that if you buy a model aircraft ARTF for example and you add all the necessary components to make it fly, then even if you do a good job it's never worth anywhere near what you paid for it. Whereas with model boats you can sometimes get very near the price you pay and if you do a particularly good job you can even turn a small profit! Obviously not including time spent.

Then compare that to something like rocking horse making and your hard pushed to lose money even though in my opinion it was far easier to do than any model boat or plane I've ever made. If the market here in France was as demanding as the English market I would consider making them alongside my job until I had enough orders to do it full time. Why don't I export them then. To get the best prices you need to be a well known name so you have to start cheaper, that plus transport costs kills it. Saying that making them all day every day takes the fun out of it! UMM