Alternative to Spektrum

ChrisB

Hi all, I've currently got fully working DX8 G1 and DX9. They both work perfectly well with a range of genuine Spekky receivers. I probably won't replace what I've got but may at some point buy a new, none Spekky TX.

The reason is that I can know from club mates and chatting to people at shows etc that the current situation with Horizon products is not good and I can see it going one of two ways. Franchises in the UK, with only a very select handful of retailers who jump when they're told to or pulling out of the UK market all together.

Certainly the current situation cannot continue, with retailers and flyers being left to argue about the poor customer service and long timescales for Horizon products being sent to outerspace and never returning. I hope, as do many, that this ridiculous situation cannot continue.

Therefore, I'm researching the alternatives for future models, as I'm reluctant to invest another x£££ in receivers for in case one of my spekky transmitters fails and i'm left in a pickle.

I'm leaning towards Hitec or Futaba but then there is frsky and Jeti. Ideally i'm after 9ch+ systems. 

I fly everything from foamies and gliders to glow and Petrol including 1/4 and 1/3 scale stuff. 

Over to you for your thoughts.....I know i've probably opened a can of worms and as one mans treasure is a another mans trash.

Cheers

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 17/06/2017 22:13:11

I understand what you mean about a can of worms, I've never tried the FrSky stuff, nor indeed Spektrum. I bought a Hitec Aurora years ago and I find it so very reliable and easy to use. I accept that there are only two of us in a club of 100 using it but it certainly gets my vote. I realise that someone will also say the same about another brand that will be just as reliable as Hitec so you'll be no further forward. As has been said here before, 100 replies, 100 different opinions.

Thanks chaps. Yeah its a minefield of choice. I've always been a fan of same makes recievers rather than clones etc. I've used and still use JR 35 and for the last 6 years Spektrum. The Jeti system has some appeal, although I'm told by sources close to Hitec that a new 14ch is due out here in a few weeks, with a 12rx and looks very good. The prices seem competitive and the service is currently UK. The biggest thing I'm worried about is making sure I don't have brownouts, particularly on my large scale models.

Ask a dozen modellers and you will get a dozen different answers. Also some have the strong belief that the only brand of radio that works is the one they use. Maybe there isn't too much panic yet. You have got two good transmitters now and there is no reason to believe that at least one will keep going for another 10 years. Maybe rather than heavily increasing the investment in Spektrum you should keep the Spektrum receivers for the big stuff and buy Orange or lemon for the foamies. Maybe even a second hand dx6 as well for the foamies etc and reduce the wear on the DX 8 and 9

I've been a long term user of Spektrum and it's been faultless.

I've changed to Frsky based on the following

1 Great value gear and peripherals

2 Pretty much limitless programming with OpenTx

3 Frsky are a very innovative forward thinking company

4 Telemetry options are easy, flexible and great value

5 Happy with support from T9

6 Wish I'd tried it years ago

I have been using Spektrum since they first came out. The old DX7. Never had a moment's trouble with it and it works with the new receivers.

I have a Hitec Aurora 9 which is very good but I find that finding my way round the programming can be a bit complicated because the manual is not very good. I wissh that Don Edberg would write one for it like the one that he did for the Futaba Field Force 8.

I also hate touch screens, This hatred was not too severe until I bought a Canon EOS 100D.

If you use (or would like too) a vario in your gliders then research the Hitec Aurora a bit further, my friend ended up buying a stand alone vario at great expense. I'll 2nd Percy and if you want a simple to program, but still quite poweful system, the new MPX Cockpit Sx is worth a look, another friend has one and it's very nice (if I didn't already have a Royal Pro to go with my Profi I'd get one).

But if you are a happy Spekrum user why change, give it a few months and see if the product support issues sort themselves out.

At the risk of (or certainty of!!) overkill, herewith my 5p.

I am an every week several times a week flyer, Indoor and Out, Slope, Thermal, Heli, Fixed, Multi.

I regularly own and use (numbers of Tx in brackets):- Futaba (8), Spektrum (4), FlySky (1), and in FrSky, Taranis (1), Horus (2). I also have loads of OE supplied Tx. Of these the heaviest used are a Futaba 10CG, Spektrum DX9 and the Taranis.

Mentioned as have no axe to grind or brand loyalty or differing levels of familiarity..

There's an obvious no brainer choice for you, and that is Taranis and a module to still run your old Spektrum stuff into the ground (hopefully not literally!). Week by week the supply of multi modules capable of running a wide range of gear are growing, for example, my "toy" quads of various makes and 2.4GHz formats all can be run directly on my Horus (or Taranis) and the Tx transforms their flying quality!

There another off the wall pocket money choice to try, spend £35 on a FlySky FS-i6 with the FS-iA6B receiver, and be amazed!!! (More receivers inc micro type are around £8!!)

I've been a Futaba user for 35+ years, but late last year I found I couldn't do what I wanted with my TwinStar -- namely use two separate throttle channels (so I could have rudder-linked throttle differential, switched so I could use it for taxiing only) AND have the throttle-cut switch operate on both throttle channels.

I asked the question in this forum and quickly a chorus of voices told me it can easily be done with OpenTX and Taranis. So I bought a Taranis and am well progressed on replacing all my Futaba receivers with FrSky -- usually at a profit when I sell the Futabas on eBay! But what's really sold me, apart from the programming flexibility, is the voice alerts, for now I don't have to remember which switch does what for each model; I simply flick the switches during pre-flight checks and they announce what they're for.

As others have mentioned, you can use a Spektrum module with a Taranis to fly your existing receivers.

I see lots of support here for Taranis. Very flexible and great if you have a degree in computer programming, but the average aged flyer would be bamboozled by it. I know, I have one.

I saw Flysky mentioned above. This is virtually the same as Turnigy and compatible. I got hold of a quad with a TGY 6ch Tx (TX, 30 quid) so bought more very cheap IA6 Rx`s and TGY i10 Tx which they said in the manual is compatible with the IA6`s. It is not, only with the IA6B`s. Now have a few of their 10ch Rx`s and it works great, very easy to program but is touch screen.

Having said that, give me a JR DSX9 any day. Just added the older 9x2 version which takes a FrSky or Orange DSM2 module. Service no problem with MacGregor and now set up forever.

Hi Chris I had the same issue, I was a JR man and flying a DSX9. I decided that a Taranis was the way to to go, just hoick the module out of the ageing DSX9, stick it in a Taranis, and problem solved.

Wrong.

First - there is no module in the DSX9, as I had become accustomed to from years of JR TXs.

Second, I struggled mightily with the programming, and got very frustrated along the way, making stupid mistakes. (Ok - confession time, I guess I am at least a borderline Old Git, you might do better...)

Third - when I did get a model flying, I hated the way the sticks felt, cheap and chunky. Now I have to say here that this was an early (batch 2 I think) Taranis, and later models are likely a lot better.

But when my DSX9 finally let me down, I went out and bought a Hitec Aurora 9X which I am delighted with, and would recommend to anyone.

But I still have a lot of models with DSM2 RXs in which I don't really want to retrofit, so I have revisited my Taranis, fitting the Hall effect gimbals, which absolutely transformed the feel, and I have that Orange module on order.

Not sure yet which is the way to go, so basically, you pays your money, and you make a choice

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/06/2017 23:23:53:

I see lots of support here for Taranis. Very flexible and great if you have a degree in computer programming, but the average aged flyer would be bamboozled by it. I know, I have one.

That is a preposterous position.... yes its different but entirely logical - If you down load the Companion onto the PC and use the new model wizard a three year old could set up a model in three or four minutes

Well, you may have no trouble Dave but I do not as yet use Companion since I need to learn how to make changes at the field without lugging a laptop with me. Great system but most of the terms used are totally alien to some of us old gits. Recently had to re-load the audio because it failed on the count down timer for no reason at all.

Most of my models require rather complex programs.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 18/06/2017 23:31:43:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/06/2017 23:23:53:

That is a preposterous position.... yes its different but entirely logical - If you down load the Companion onto the PC and use the new model wizard a three year old could set up a model in three or four minutes

While agreeing (slightly less aggressively which is unusual!!) with Dave H, I think I should also record:-

1. I'm no spring chicken either (and certainly not just "chicken"!). Been retired over 17 years, though I "work" with groups of 11-17 year olds using RC twice a week to promote engineering in a 1300 pupil boys school.

2. Other than Backup, I have never used Companion to programme models on the Taranis OR Horus. I do it ALL on the Tx. No computers taken to the field here. My Taranis is held pre-Euro Status and has not been on a computer for years. Currently it has 57 models (of the 60 memories) loaded to it. It has a Futaba FASST module permanently inserted to fly older models.

3. My Taranis is a Batch 2 with NO hardware changes. It's standard gimbals are as good as anything else I have (after easy adjustment). Nothing has broken, nothing is sloppy, I'm an engineer, if it isn't broken I don't fix it, so "Horus" type hall effect gimbals are IMO simply not required.

4. "Complex" models? Most models have Flapperon and Spoileron switch protected and on a slider. Many have multi servo wings with switched in linking of flaps/ailerons/brakes for stunt/crow/camber/butterfly, etc, etc. Retracts, etc as well. Flight modes? (you should see my Libelle program, I had to use three switches!)

5. I'm now also into "race" Quads, with all their requirements catered for quite easily. The MAJORITY of quad flyers by long experience use Taranis.

I liken this to trimming. I had a great friend, now departed, who's every flight seemed to be spent tweaking trim. He also mixed Knife Edge, Flaps to Elevator, etc, etc,etc, all of which came in for constant adjustments. I just flew the damn thing as hard as I could. IMO that's what you have sticks for.

Enjoy your flying.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/06/2017 23:54:42:

Well, you may have no trouble Dave but I do not as yet use Companion since I need to learn how to make changes at the field without lugging a laptop with me. Great system but most of the terms used are totally alien to some of us old gits. Recently had to re-load the audio because it failed on the count down timer for no reason at all.

Most of my models require rather complex programs.

And those complex models are far easier to program then in most other systems - even without companion, once you forget how other systems program it becomes easy, very easy.....

The reason I suggested Chris download Companion was so that he could get a taste of the OpenTX programming used on the Taranis and available on the Horus without actually putting his hand in his pocket and committing to an FrSky purchase.

Once you get your head around OpenTX logic on Companion everything translates directly to the transmitter screens and options. If you can set up a model on Companion you can do so on the tx, no need to lug a laptop around.

That said, some people prefer menu driven systems even given their limitations, and the option to wander into an LMS to feel the goods means a lot to some even if it does cost more. It's a free country, all choices are valid.

devil

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/06/2017 09:06:03