Which 12v motor for 30" carbon prop?

Hi.

Excuse ignorance as brand new to this hobby so please speak in dim terms although I understand a little.

I have a 30" carbon prop I want to get spinning over 10,000 rpm and run off a speed controller (have 70a one) and 12v lithium car battery.

What kind of motor would provide enough torque and speed to achieve this please?

If you're wondering, I'm building a simple paraglider fan rig. After experimenting with an 8inch prop and a cordless angle grinder I was pleasantly surprised with thrust.

Any tips in simpleton language please. Lol. Thanks in advance.

Advert

Spinning a 30 inch prop at 10,000rpm would send the tips supersonic....interesting but not recommended....I doubt it would be strong enough to withstand the forces involved...

I also think you would need several kilowatts of power to get anywhere near that sort of speed....

Something is not right in the OP...are you sure it's not a 30cm prop? That would be about 12 inches & things start to make sense....

To get 10,000 rpm under load from 12v the motor kv would need to be about 1050. A safe current limit using a 70A esc would be about 60A. Therefore max power (input) would be around 720 Watts (just under 1HP).

OP, forget rpm for now; what is your target pitch speed (the max speed of the airflow coming off the prop)? To calculate tell us the max speed you are looking to attain under power, then add 20-25%. Once we have that we can work out the rest more easily.

Hi David,

Assuming this prop has a average sort of pitch value you might expect, I'm afraid what you are asking for isn't practically possible with that battery - the current needed to deliver 10,000rpm would be huge!! Orders of magnitude beyond your 70A Speed Controller! That prop and that battery are just not a compatable pair.

It would make a lot more sense technically to start with the question "How much power do you need to fly this paraglider?" We could then work out a sensible prop/ESC/battery combination.

BEB

Wow. Looks like I may be using this as a ceiling fan then lol. Not sure about calculating stuff but wanted enough thrust to push around 90kg through the air so what rpm needed for 30x10 prop is unknown factor to me. Main objective is to simply achieve thrust. Obviously weight is a factor so wanted to keep battery weight low as poss. Just thought would be interesting feasibility project before having a go. Thanks for all input so far.

Posted by David Wainwright on 10/07/2017 13:10:42:
Actually they are about 4 hp. Even the petrol ones aren't double figures. Original question did say I was after a basic device delivering thrust and I quoted angle grinder experiment

Wasn't after Frank whittle plans.

There's one here that is 10kw (14hp). 4 hp is hardly cutting it on a good aerotow tug teeth 2

BTW if you want to check power, thrust, rpm etc then there are some good programs on the net, Drive Calc and E-Calc are two that come to mind.

I think a few more details of the model are needed to make recommendations. a 90kg model is massive and the build would need to be done with LMA support. Large electric or large petrol engines are both options at this size/scale but the electric setup would need to be pretty serious.

While i have no idea what level of experience you have exactly but you have told us you are new to the hobby and if so a project of this scale is really not recommended.

Ok, thanks for replies so far. Just to clarify, this was never supposed to be a serious bit of kit designed to fly 90kg. For a start, the wing is what flies it. Am just after a motor to power the prop.

As an incentive and seeing as they have just delivered two props by mistake, anyone who can come up with a viable option which falls within parameters, and they pay postage, they can have a free, 30x10" carbon prop as thanks.

Remember, I'm not building a rocket.