Slope finder

• 2 months later...

Hi all,been looking on slopehunter for sites near Chepstow south wales.....surprisingly l found no mention of the BLORENGE at Abergavenny,does anyone fly there?,is there a local club?,l have flown there some years ago,a para gliding club fly there,so l am wondering if r/c models are not allowed,its a great looking hill,so cannot understand it not being mentioned,anyone got any info??,jack.

On the SlopeHunter site for West Sussex it mentions Mill Hill which overlooks Shoreham Airport. This is no longer available as it is inside the Shoreham ATZ and following recent changes to legislation cannot be used. If you carry on up the lane past the Mill Hill car Park for about a mile and a half you will arrive at the Beeding Hill car park. From there within a short walk there are several good slopes that favour SW, W, NW and N. None of these are within the Shoreham ATZ.

Posted by JACK on 28/10/2017 21:26:07:

Hi all,been looking on slopehunter for sites near Chepstow south wales.....surprisingly l found no mention of the BLORENGE at Abergavenny,does anyone fly there?,is there a local club?,l have flown there some years ago,a para gliding club fly there,so l am wondering if r/c models are not allowed,its a great looking hill,so cannot understand it not being mentioned,anyone got any info??,jack.

Hi Jack, It may something as simple as another slope nearby for the same wind direction that has closer parking, or not wanting to play 'dodge the paraglider'. My memory of the Blorenge was a long, uphill track, open only to 4x4s and VW campers which had the ground clearance to cope with the ruts.
I flew a hang glider from The Blorenge a couple of times. Once I landed near Pencelli, and the other time at Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff. That flight was memorable as I went into cloud at 6000' and popped out at 7200'.

Hi,

I think this Slope finder is a great idea it just needs some local knowledge to up date it .

for instance Pule Hill is marked on the map as being near Oldham But infact is listed correctly as Marsden Huddersfield.

On my travels i find i am surrounded by hills and i am sure there are lots of un-listed flying sites that are just waiting to be updated .Or are some flyers keeping their sites secret.

Steve

Posted by JACK on 28/10/2017 21:26:07:

You might want to ask Dean at the Abergavenny Model Centre he might know. Also check out Garway Hill we slope soar there and it's about the same distance from Chepstow.

Frank,can you give me the location of garway hill please?its not a name l recognise,l fly mainly large scale vintage gliders so need a reasonable out of lift landing area,but l do have other sport gliders so would like to try garway hill,thanks jack.

Jack, I (and others) have flown 1/4 scale vintage scale off Garway, it's a pretty soft landing, deep bracken in Summer, here's some video (not scale) from Saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGkoz4oHvjc

Google Garway Hill Common and you'll find it, PM me if you want details of where to park etc. Slope works NW round to SW.