Property damage

onetenor

Advert

It might depend on the nature of the damage - if, for example, they said that the only way to get into a locked bathroom where the patient was in trouble, they had to kick the door in, it would probably be considered justified. If they were careless and scratched your wallpaper with their bags, you would probably have a strong case.

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/08/2017 14:04:39:

I'd have thought that the NHS would have some sort of public liability insurance?

With regard vehicle insurance, very large fleet owners like Royal Mail, etc and likely the NHS where ambulances are not locally privatised do not have insurance, in lieu of insurance they lodge a large sum of money with the state so effectively are their own insurers.

Does not inherently affect the provision to third parties, etc.

I assume its likely they do similar for staff, etc

Edited By Dave Bran on 21/08/2017 15:36:44

Posted by Keith Lomax on 21/08/2017 14:59:02:

It might depend on the nature of the damage - if, for example, they said that the only way to get into a locked bathroom where the patient was in trouble, they had to kick the door in, it would probably be considered justified. If they were careless and scratched your wallpaper with their bags, you would probably have a strong case.

However, if they kicked your door down and it was the wrong house..............................

So if the Ambulance came to your house and they scratched your wallpaper with their bags, you would actually claim? Astonishing that some people even think like that.

I'm fairly sure that Ambulance crew don't have the legal power to force entry, stupid I think we would all agree. When I was working they had to call the Police to force the entry, things may have changed though. Great if the Copper was close by...

Posted by onetenor on 21/08/2017 13:46:11:

Anyone know if a homeowner can claim for damage caused by an ambulance crew on a call?

In the first instance, I would ask your home insurer. Then photo the damage and write the ambulance trust a letter.

No, and I accept that I could be wrong, the Ambulance staff don't have the legal power to force entry.

My point is that the Ambulance staff have been called to render assistance, they would have done everything they could to do this. If one happened to break a vase or scratch something they won't have done this intentionally. So, maybe give them a break? I know that the Staff won't pay out of their own pockets but did they intend to break/scratch something in trying to render their assistance? Highly unlikely. Why do we have to sue or claim for everything? Why can't we be grateful for help and pick up the pieces and count our blessings?

I've written this and then nearly deleted it several times. I'm not trying to cause an argument, I know virtually nothing about happened here, hence my reticence to comment at all. I just get a little fed up with the speed at which society wants to blame someone and claim off someone, anyone at all. I totally accept I may be wrong here with so little information but an Ambulance Crew on a call? I'd be grateful for their assistance, they do a job I couldn't do.

Posted by cymaz on 21/08/2017 19:43:18:
Posted by onetenor on 21/08/2017 13:46:11:

Anyone know if a homeowner can claim for damage caused by an ambulance crew on a call?

In the first instance, I would ask your home insurer. Then photo the damage and write the ambulance trust a letter.

You asked for advice. I put myself in your shoes. That doesn't mean I would do it myself. I'm sure someone somewhere would want recompense. IIRC if a car is badly parked and a fire engine scratches it to get passed en route to an emergency....tough on the car owner

It's not terribly clear but my reading of the OP is that the most likely interpretation is that it was asking whether the homeowner could claim on their home insurance for damage caused during a visit by the ambulance service?

In which case, the best advice - as already given - would be to contact their insurer to discuss making a claim.

I have to say that the claim culture mentioned by Bucksboy really annoys me. A relative had a minor accident last night and when someone else heard about it this morning, their first reaction was to advise him to claim for whiplash "they can't tell if you've really got it" and anything else they could think of...and were surprised when I expressed my severe disapproval at this and sentiments such as..."only the insurance companies who will have to pay - what's the problem?"

I'm a Emergency Medical Technician and delivered a baby at home a couple of weeks ago, the lady didn't want to get off the sofa and despite our best efforts to get here on plastic sheets and towels etc the sofa took the brunt. They claimed on their home insurance as far as I know. (also got me a box of chocolates !!!)

Posted by Rob on 21/08/2017 21:53:18:
I'm a Emergency Medical Technician and delivered a baby at home a couple of weeks ago, the lady didn't want to get off the sofa and despite our best efforts to get here on plastic sheets and towels etc the sofa took the brunt. They claimed on their home insurance as far as I know. (also got me a box of chocolates !!!)

Did it come under flood damage?

Slightly off topic -sorry- but it annoyed me so much- I stayed in a hotel yesterday, a bit short staffed at peak time breakfast, I waited 2 minutes for the fresh fruit salad and 3 minutes for the bacon to arrive, it didn't worry me I really enjoyed my breakfast. Large lady with large child and meek husband on next table went berserk at staff because she had to wait the same and demanded her money back. She got it too which caused some other people to follow suit. I didn't but I don't see why I should have to subsidise this awful person's breakfast just because she was impatient and very rude. Another example of the increasing abuse for people in the service industries -caused I feel by blame culture, lawyers and people like Martin Lewis telling people to claim for anything even when it is not justified.

Posted by i12fly on 22/08/2017 00:16:40:

Slightly off topic -sorry- but it annoyed me so much- I stayed in a hotel yesterday, a bit short staffed at peak time breakfast, I waited 2 minutes for the fresh fruit salad and 3 minutes for the bacon to arrive, it didn't worry me I really enjoyed my breakfast. Large lady with large child and meek husband on next table went berserk at staff because she had to wait the same and demanded her money back. She got it too which caused some other people to follow suit. I didn't but I don't see why I should have to subsidise this awful person's breakfast just because she was impatient and very rude. Another example of the increasing abuse for people in the service industries -caused I feel by blame culture, lawyers and people like Martin Lewis telling people to claim for anything even when it is not justified.

And does she feel it necessary to ask for her car tax to be refunded if she gets stuck in a traffic jam? 3 minutes for bacon to arrive!.....well that's dreadful.

I'm out.

If we keep claiming for every bit of damage or grief we will be WORKING our backsides off just to pay insurance for trivial rubbish. We work hard per day and we get a yearly, monthly or quarterly charge for insurances and other services but if you work it down to an hourly rate we are working harder than we should for fake insurances.

me poor me know when budgeting

Unfortunately it's true that we are more and more adopting a blame culture and look to complain/sue for the slightest issue. Part of the problem is that the courts, instead of throwing the cases out, frequently pander to the complainant.

When I lived in the USA a neighbour disturbed a burglar robbing his house. The burglar fled, tripped on the stairs and broke his leg. He then successfully sued the home owner for damages!!