Strange goings on with an FP40

Doug Lawrence

Hi guys, I am a newbie to the MF website/forum but not to modelling.I have an old Priory Models Silhouette (which will give a clue to my age!) powered by an OS FP40. Details are, inverted engine, centre of tank (brand new as is all plumbing) exactly in line with spray bar, Model Techs fuel 10%, 3 line fuel tank with vent connected to muffler, one supply line and one fill/empty blocked off on running. Engine will start and tick over for a short period then stop, no indication as to rich or lean, it just stops! However, if I hold the nose up the engine will tick over for ever and throttle up instantly BUT, if I drop the nose even slightly and slowly, instant stop! The only thing I have not tried is to take the vent off the muffler. Any ideas/suggestions will be most gratefully received! Cheers!

Advert

Thank you Martin and Phil. Plug is a brand new OS 8, I checked (and double checked!) all the plumbing including the exhaust nipple, quite clear. Engine runs perfectly with the nose slightly tilted but stops instantly when I lower the nose. I take your point about foreign objects in the bore and I will check this. I have been modelling for many years but I have to say this has got me very confused! Will report back when I've taken my head off (!)

Fp has an air bleed carb iirc, look up thunder tiger 42 gp instruction manual, this tells you how to set the air bleed by tipping the nose of the model up or down.

Unless you have already cleaned the air bleed which are prone to picking up gunge it may be worth doing before disturbing the head.

If it has a two needle carb, sorry I spoke.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 06/09/2017 10:41:25

I once had an FP40 that ran for years with no problem then then started playing up and eventually suddenly stopped. All the conventional cures failed. Eventually I removed the exhaust to find a big lump of carbonised fuel residue was moving around & able to block the exhaust completely. That's the first thing I would check on your engine as the problem goes away with tilting the plane upwards......

Many thanks for all the input lads. Carb is air bleed, fuel is new and muffler is completely free of gunge. I actually stripped the carb as part of my efforts to find a cure, washed it out completely, no bits! I am going to try either a bar or 4st plug and I will certainly have a look at the Thunder Tiger instructions, I am reasonably confident that main and sr needles are set ok or at least very close but I will try all suggestions to try and make sense of it! Cheers!

If it's not spluttering to a standstill I'd go with Denis' suggestion of checking the tank out. I've connected the pipes up wrong before now and spent many hap[py hours wondering why the engine would cut after a minute or two. If it is spluttering before it stops, check the tank height again and open the air bleed up a shade. The fact it will run nose up indicates either a rich engine or the feed out of the fuel with the model level. Will the engine run at full throttle with the model level or does it cut regardless of throttle setting?

Hi Bob, no spluttering, no speeding up, just stops. I can't tell you how many times I have stripped the tank and plumbing down since this started. Tank is spot on level, no holes in feed or vent lines. I live in a slightly noise sensitive area so I try not to run motor at high revs for too long but I think it will continue to run on wot. Believe me however when I say I have tried all settings on slow needle to try and stop cut out when I drop the nose a bit. I didn't realise that, when new, the FP40 was supplied with a bar plug, there must have been a reason for this so I'm going to give it a go and if that doesn't work to try every other suggestion made by you nice guys above! Cheers!

Hi Nigel, thanks for your input. The model has been laid up for a few years but recently pulled out of the hangar and refurbished. You will see that all of the tank/plumbing/ carb areas have been renewed , cleaned etc. The aircraft flew perfectly previously (I am talking of a few years back) but memory prompts me that I did have to start it the right way up (engine is inverted in the model). Cleaning, resetting everything has resulted in being able to start the engine inverted but with the now problem of stopping when nose is tilted down (until model is level, not completely nose down). As said above, I have a raft of things to try so will get back to the forum if/when, I hope, there is a good result. Many thanks!

hello doug . FP engines never came with idle bar plugs fitted , in fact they never came with a plug fitted at all . OS No8 , Enya No3 will run it nicely If you can find one a Taylor idle bar plug is a good option but hard to find these days and really not needed. Check the air bleed hole is clear as castor can block it and cause very rich idle . The Idle mixture screw should be screwed in until you can see it half way across the hole at the front of the carb. Running too rich can stop an engine dead . Have you tuned engine to peak revs then one click back(richer) before adjusting the air bleed for tick over ?

Thank you guys, this is a wealth of info that I intend to try one step at a time. As stated the engine is inverted in the model and whereas the last time I used it, over three years ago, I had to start it with the model inverted and engine up the right way, I can at least now start it inverted. Everything connected with engine, tank and plumbing has been cleaned and/or renewed. Slow running has been adjusted (miniscule amounts at a time ) across rich to lean, same result! Plug is a brand new os8. I am going out in the garden tomorrow to create more noise and work through suggestions, if no luck (watch this space) I shall sit there eating worms. I love this hobby! Cheers guys!

Well lads, I am sure you will be pleased to know that I have no idea what worms taste like!
I sort of had a feeling that it was the flame being put out (as stated the engine is inverted), but wasn't sure what to do about it until CP mentioned a bar plug.
I couldn't find my bar plug so I put in an OS F st plug and....bingo! A literal gnats whisker on the slow end (a bit leaner and I'm talking blowing on it) and she now runs up, down, sideways and whatever on tickover and full throttle. Also instant pickup on whacking the throttle open.
I do really appreciate all of your input lads (I assume there are no lassies out there, shame really!) The ability to throw your problems at other people and gain ideas and inspiration from replies makes the forum a Godsend. Thanks to you all!