Small engines big hassle

bert baker

So I built a plane for these little engines, the first one had a fuel pipe up to a Venturi like a normal glow pylon engine, that did work until the tank broke,

Having these other two as spare engines I thought just fit them and fly, but they won't run more than 2-5 seconds, have stripes down and cleaned them, I rather fancy because I only try to use them once a year this may be a problem,,,,,is there any special things I should be doing with them to maintain reliability

Advert

Bert, don't keep stripping them down, parts can be assembled wrongly, e.g piston backwards, and bits can be left off.

By the small size you suggest, they could be diesels, but the guys need fuel type and motor name.

The small metal fuel can is a clue, and is there a glow plug in the cylinder head

Or is the head one piece with an electrode

Or is there a bar to be screwed up and don't on the cylinder head

These guys can help you

I used to run Cox engines, TeeDee 010, PeeWee 020, Babe Bee 049, Golden Bee 049 and the best of them all a Black Widow. All needed to be run off very high nitro content fuel (as you state in your post Percy) and the glow heads on the smaller ones just didn't last that long. The needle jets were also prone to gumming up and needed to be kept clean a symptom of this was that after priming through the ports, they would run for a few seconds then die.

All were screamers and extremely noisy (none of mine were silenced apart from the Golden Bee which had a ring muffler and killed the performance as well as the noise).

All that has been said is true but no one mentioned that the reed valve can stick. You would have to find instructions for strip down but not sure where.Re the heads I converted one of mine to take a plug. Drift the insert out from inside then carefully tap using Model engineering tap .24TPI but can't recall diameter. but is dia of glow plug. Use first and second taps. Don't run them both right through. On second tap go in stages trying the plug for fit. I can look for taps if no one can tell us what size is.

P.S. That plane would qualify for an ebenezer contest .

Edited By onetenor on 08/10/2017 13:02:57

Yes that would do it Bert but I fear the model might rotate faster than the prop - but not for very long!

As you can see, the reed valve is held in place by a spring and is easily removed and cleaned in meths or similar. As has been said earlier, remove and clean the needle valve and spray carb-cleaner or meths down the orifice to get rid of congealed fuel/oil and foreign matter. There is not much to go wrong so if the fuel is at least 15% nitro, fresh and you have a decent glow from the plug it should start and continue to run. Hard to believe that such a small engine can make such a loud irritating noise! I spent a lot of my misspent youth playing with these great little engines.

Many thanks for everyone's inputs,

Must admit to not actually taking valve out to clean it.

The one I have with a red rear tank looks to be rare have found a engine NIB , for 250 usd, what were two a penny in my youth is no longer,

Duno if any other manufacturer of similar engines are still about,

I think Testors was one make with a square white tank on back, it was probably a 249

Actually just had a thought, I could fit a free flight hopper tank and refit my original engine

Edited By bert baker on 08/10/2017 14:03:52

I have purchased a new cox quick start from him a few years ago, I shall ring next week to see if he can help. I need to order a plane from him anyway so shall seize the opportunity,just annoying I took time to build something different and no shortage a of engines can get it flying