Friday the 13th

Steve Colman

I hadn't flown my Kyosho Calmato in a while. Charged 2 batteries yesterday evening. Flew the model today but I won't be flying it again!

First flight model lacked a bit of power but was still easily flyable. Second flight it was immediately apparent that the model was struggling for power. Decided to do a quick turnaround for an emergency landing. Managed to execute the turn and then the model lost all power and control and plunged nose first into the ground.

calmato 8.jpg

Advert

Too bad Steve,

I had a Hobbyking Soar 40, a Calmato lookalike/copy (?). It was a lovely flier, which met its maker due not to any mechanical or electrical failure, but by my brain malfunction!

dsc00584_s.jpg

I looked around for a replacement, but finally decided to recreate it from new.

So, from the remains I drew up plans;

dsc00585_s.jpg

and built a new one, using all the salvaged hardware..

dsc00578_s.jpg

I intended to make a canopy from a coke bottle, but the bottles are all too small. Had I realised that before hand I could have made the canopy shorter. In the end I made one from balsa and painted it.

It flies just as well as the original - well worth the effort. smiley

GDB

Fascinating factoid for today....................paraskevidekatriaphobia - a morbid fear of Friday the 13th.surprise

No, I can't pronounce it either!

Actually, I just suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia laugh (Google is your friend).

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2017 13:19:10

Not much chance (actually any chance) of my falling into the Friday 13th syndrome by crashing a model here in Derbyshire - very strong winds and intermittent showers. Fortunately things look better for Sunday!

I know the LiPo looks a bit second hand but I have one in a similar shape after a crash and it still measures OK (I have it in a metal box ready for disposal). My crash happened not long after take off so there's quite a lot of stored energy still. Presumably your problem could have been a faulty LiPo so it's worth checking it to see if it's electrically OK. If it is, then you need to look elsewhere - esc perhaps.

As a very experienced builder and flier once said to me - it's a hard game sometimes.

Geoff

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 13/10/2017 12:58:37:

The 13th of a month is statistically more likely to fall on a Friday than on any other day.

What more evidence do we need that God has it in for us?

Ehhh?? surely as there are 6 'other' days of the week statistically the 13th is much less likely to fall on a Friday than on one of the 'other' days....

There are lies, damned lies ....and statistics!!smile p

Logicomechanophobia

That was a new one for me cymaz. However, I've just educated myself and I guess that anyone typing away on here isn't a sufferer.

Just to prove to myself that this mornings accident wasn't a result of todays' date, I went out and flew again this afternoon/evening and happily report no incidents, just nice and gentle relaxed flying with a FunCub and Fournier RF4D.

We're experiencing something of an extended summer over here and yesterday and today have been sensational; Blue skies, virtually zero wind and temps at 26/27 C. And, It's a bank holiday to boot!

I have permission from my better half to replace the Calmato and a suitable successor is now being researched.

The motor cycle club I was in for years used to run sporting trials. The competitor's numbers we supplied didn't have a number 13! Also Tour de France riders (and other bike races) who have the 'misfortune' to have 13 as their race number fit it upside down.

Geoff

Success today.

Maidened my just completed electric Cliffwhacker. CofG a bit forward but that's safe for now. A bit of elevator trim up required but no aileron or rudder trim needed - a first for me.

Flaps - no problem

Camber (flaps and flaperons) - no problem

Crow - huge nose up lurch. I'll mix in some crow v down elevator

Lovely model Mr Whitaker. It glides forever so crow is a must for landing at our strip!

Not a scratch. Happy now.

(Pictures in Cliffwhacker posts)