Build logs - a dying art?

Stevo

I used to be an ardent blogger, less so now. Compared to other sites such as Facebook, its actually quite cumbersome to maintain a blog here where each photo has to be selected and uploaded then reselected for the post. Its also not very mobile friendly which means that uploading images from the smart phone is difficult. I have moved on from using a separate camera so that adds another step in the process having to transfer the images to my pc. Finally, its hard to keep motivated when there is very little interaction from the reading public. Sometimes i have no idea if what i have written is being read is of interest or considered rubbish. A like or thumbs up/down button for the posts would go some way to at least indicate that a post has been read.

Edited By Martyn K on 21/10/2017 21:30:54

Advert

Posted by Rich too on 21/10/2017 21:36:27:

I agree re the photos but I like the fact that the site hosts them, there is nothing worse than going on a forum for reference material to find you cannot view the photos because they were hosted elsewhere.

Yes, the Photobucket changes have removed my photos from a build log in RC ScaleBuilder. I then moved to RC Groups and have now settled here. The trouble I had with my build logs was the extended time for larger complex builds as I worked away from home a lot. I have just retired laughcake, so I should get more shed time yes and add to the build logs. I enjoy looking through other people's, I get a lot of ideas and inspiration as there are only a couple of other builders of complex kits in my club.

Posted by Martyn K on 21/10/2017 21:29:41:

I used to be an ardent blogger, less so now.

Its actually quite cumbersome to maintain a blog here where each photo has to be selected and uploaded then reselected for the post.

Finally, its hard to keep motivated when there is very little interaction from the reading public. Sometimes i have no idea if what i have written is being read is of interest or considered rubbish. A like or thumbs up/down button for the posts would go some way to at least indicate that a post has been read.

Yes, the method of getting photos to a post is ridiculously time-consuming on this site, but once things are entrenched then its unlikely they'll ever be changed...?

I know the feeling of appearing to be 'ignored'. I think a great many people are interested, but are either shy of posting any contribution, or feel that a build-blog isn't a conversation. But this 'respectfulness' can be jolly unhelpful and dispiriting to someone taking the trouble to share, and there's a balance to be found. So a 'thumbs-up/down/horizontal' icon would be a splendid idea - to encourage the lurkers!

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 21:56:03:

Build blogs - a dying art?

I shouldn't think so. It would be a mistake to assume the only models being built are those seen on here. We have a chap in our club whom has no interest in computers, and consequently never goes online. He's an extremely prolific builder, producing about a dozen models a year. He builds to an extremely high standard too, and whenever he does decide to sell one of his creations, there is no shortage of takers.

There must surely be others like him?

The irony is that the less time that is wasted on computers, the more building that can be done!!

I blog some of my builds on another site (FF stick & tissue scale), and contribute to the threads of others. I see it as an adjunct to building - learning, sharing, asking specific questions, enjoying the humour, etc.

Must dash - got a model to progress! laugh

I regularly look at the blogs and any latest posts that strike my interest. I posted my LD40 build and received nice feedback that kept me going. Also I think this is the right place rather than other social media sites (fb is an example). Ive also noticed its seems to be seasonal..in the summer we post our flying activities and in the winter the build sessions. I dont think its a dying art..at least i dont want it to be! For all who do post..thankyou!!

I hope they're not dying out as, quite apart from personally enjoying them, I'm just about to start one on the repair/refurbishment of a BN2 Islander model which I'm also converting from IC powered control line to electric powered RC. It was intended to be my winter project, but my pre project exploratory tinkering turned into a..... I'll just do that bit, and then that bit etc etc. So, it's actually coming along well and the build blog should kick off soon.

Build logs? I'm in. I'm finishing up a build log now. I intend to post up a log for future builds. I don't know that my projects are on an 'impressive scale' but maybe people can draw something from what I do.

I read build blogs. Sometimes the logs cease halfway through which is a shame. I don't always comment. A like button would help - that way I get to show support without getting in the way of the blogs 'flow'.

It's always good to see other peoples tools & techniques and so on.

This site isn't too bad for posting pictures. Picture taken in smartphone, log on here, go to upload and choose a few pictures, put photos into posts using the 'album' button. No more or less onerous than other sites, I think.

"This site isn't too bad for posting pictures. Picture taken in smartphone, log on here, go to upload and choose a few pictures, put photos into posts using the 'album' button. No more or less onerous than other sites, I think. "

I don't know about that Nigel, most sites seem to upload from any device straight into your post these days.

I have done blogs in the past but these days my building is so intermittent and sporadic that I don't even think about taking photos. As per Ron, I will add a comment to others blogs where I have done something in a different way.

"I don't know about that Nigel, most sites seem to upload from any device straight into your post these days."

It's halfway there - if I go to 'add more photos' inside an album, then click 'choose file' I get the option of using the camera. Maybe that is my particular smartphone (samsung).

I appreciate this link could be added to the 'Post a Reply' box that I'm using right now to type the post. That would be very useful.

I thoroughly enjoy build blogs and bookmark all that I'm interested in which is most of them ( I missed seeing yours Stevo I will correct that ) . I'm a returning modeller and try to keep my blogs up to date and do not class myself as an expert builder but like to think my efforts encourage the reticent to have a go, as far as commenting is concerned I try my best to comment on others build to express my pleasure and admiration.

I've done several build blogs, got one or two unfinished (because the models are unfinished... one day dont know)

I have always found good support, the weakness has always been my getting on with the build, rather than the blog, no build = nothing to blog. In my defence I haven't had the best of health the last year or two, all the same I have some stuff in the pipeline that I fully intend to build blog within this very forum in the not too distant future.

By blogging the build others can learn from it and just as importantly the blogger can learn from others, it creates a great exchange of ideas and information so please keep 'em coming.