Powered Glider Recomendation

Andrew Moore 7

Advert

Andrew, take a look at the Multiplex Solius or Heron, both of which share the pedigree of the Easyglider.

The Solius is a good general purpose glider happy from flat field or the slope. It can thermal and is capable of simple aerobatics too. The Heron is slightly larger and more suited to thermal duties and includes flaps.

If you really want sporty perhaps the new Funray would fit the bill?

The aforementioned ST Blaze is a good option too along with others of a similar size and spec.

Also suggest looking at Horizon Hobby (formerly Staufenbiel) for other options from Staufenbiel and Reichard for example.

Happy hunting.

The Phoenix 2000 is tremendous value at around £75 when I got mine (I assume they're still available). Mine came with a full house of servos for ailerons and flaps (as well as elevator and rudder, of course). Very easy to fly and mildly aerobatic. I've had to replace the motor on mine. I chose a Turnigy Gliderdrive which fits easily and won't break the bank.

Geoff

There was a mention of Reichard, which really do put the Chinese produced gliders into a corner (Horizon etc). If you can find a foam wing Reichard at a reasonable price, that would be my choice. The foam wings are no heavier than the built up wing versions (and may be even lighter), but the light foam, epoxy glass, and light balsa construction is a whole lot more capable at higher speeds.

Posted by Andrew Moore 7 on 07/11/2017 11:12:02:

Those Riechard gliders really look the part.

Do you know much about the make/quality etc etc ??

Seem to be fairly easy to get hold of

Hi Andrew,

I know the range quite well. We used to buy batches £10 000 at time. The designer and producer, Mr Reichard, is highly respected in the Czech model industry, and I have great respect for his designs (I take his Okapi out at every flying field visit). Primarily designed for the Czech home market, the models do not need to be equipped with any expensive servos, or geared motors. Our models came first and second in the first BMFA 200W/kg competition, and I am not sure if it was Reichard Champion that came first or second. We found that the foam wing versions of the same models (foam wing Champion is Svist) are no heavier, and thermal equally well, but our Svist has regularly dived to speed before doing a four point roll, low, along the runway. My strong advice is go with the foam wing versions of a given Reichard model which will provide a decent thermal performance AND be a nicely performing "Warmliner" - term coined by Mike Hines at Hobby Lobby for the foam wing Sport version of the Filip 600, also on my all time favourite list of models.

The Reichard models use a lightweight epoxy glass fuselage that has just the right strength to weight ratio, with a little flexibility. The foam wing versions use a very light foam core, with very light sanded balsa skin (for finish) that is bonded with epoxy glass for excellent strength and rigidity. The plywood fittings for battery trays etc use the best quality ply, and are cleanly cut. All fitting are MP Jet. Unlike foam models, the glass fuselage and Oracover film on the flying surfaces, can look like new in 10 years time.

I am on a modelling budget, but it is a little flexible, and for this type of aerobatic soarer, I will only buy Reichard.

I hope that is of some help,

John