Vintage Digifleet.

Richard Moody

I have just dug out my old Digifleet Custom 3 Super 7 gear. It has languished in a cupboard for some 20 years! Surprisingly the battery packs took a charge and everything appears to work OK. However there is some corrosion to the batteries and I would certainly not trust them in flight. If I remember correctly the transmitter battery was 9v and the receiver 6v. Can anybody out there confirm this and also recommend suitable replacement batteries.

Thank you in anticipation.

Rick.

Looked out my 6ch Digifleet XP/FM set.

The Rx is 4.8v (4 x 1.2v NiCad). Separate rate switches for the aileron and elevator. CAR In/Out/Rotary Adjustment and all - "... de-luxe and Super only ..."! No tick-over adjustment knob, though, as it was only available on the "Super", so I obviously had the cheaper version.

I can't see the Tx battery as it's hidden below a plate and the manual makes no mention of the voltage. If need be, I could find the charger and check the output on its plate - I know where it's stored in shed No3.

Holding the Tx with the aerial extended brought back the memories. I like the Tx, but I don't know if I'd have the courage to try it again - 2.4.stuff is just sooo reliable these days.

Initially I had a 27MHz set which was powered by a 9v dry battery for the Tx and 4.8v 500mAh nickel cadmiums for the Rx. I converted the Tx to 9.6v 500mAh NiCads which worked fine. All the rechargeables were the earlier round button cell DEAC's manufactured in Crewkerne, later rebranded as Saft; German for "Juice" I believe. My later 35MHz set was supplied with 2x4 "AA" (mAH not known) NiCads for the TX making ~9.6v and a similar 4-pack for the Rx, ~4.8v.

I still use a couple of my original Fleet servos on a smaller aircraft model, they work fine. I never had a problem with my Fleet hardware, why it was given the flying field reference as "DodgyFleet" as opposed to the company "DigiFleet" I do not know; worked for me!

Good luck Richard!

Firstly, thanks to all for your replies, much appreciated.

The Rx pack is square and I presume contains 4 cells - so 4.8v seems correct. The Tx is in a hexagonal holder containing 7 cells which would equate 8.4v - near enough for farming.

I also don't know why Fleet wasn't appreciated more. I had very few problems and the company were very efficient and reasonable with the only one I ever had to refer to them. The Tx looks sparkling inside and I am totally impressed that everything seems OK after 20 years in a cupboard. The kit itself must be nearly 40 years old!

Thanks for the tip about Overlander Tom.

Many thanks everybody.

Rick.

Hi Richard. Yes, the Custom range used a single 7-cell pack, the later XP (silver case) range used two 4-cell packs in series. I doubt you will be able to source a direct replacement pack, but you should be able to make up a pack from individual cells. I recently used GP ReCyco+ 2000mAh AA cells to make up a pack for my FrSky QX7. They solder very easily and are low self discharge. They are available from CPC Farnell, order code GPRHC212B252. I used some copper earth conductor from lighting twin and earth cable for the links.

Do check very carefully that any corrosion has not spread from the battery wire onto the pcb. If it has, remove as much as you can with a stiff nylon brush, then brush on a little surface limescale cleaner (not the stronger kettle descaler). Let this fizz away for a few minutes, then wash off, dry thoroughly and apply a coat of clear varnish.

Happy tinkering!

Has anyone had experience of using a Frsky 'hack' module in a Fleet XP-FM transmitter?

I have heard that Fleet 'ploughed their own furrow' in certain areas and wondered if this made it difficult to convert to 2.4 using one of these modules (or something similar).

I'm currently planning to build a Gangster 63, the model I lusted after 30-odd years ago, and a 'retro' transmitter would complete the look.cool

As with the o/p I've had an old Fleet radio set sitting in the loft for many years. The batteries are definitely u/s (won't take a charge at all) so I first need to sort these out. Also need to check for black wire corrosion as described above. Then need to decide whether to use it 'as is' on 35meg, or convert it to 2.4gHz with a module, or nicking the rf board out of my old Spektrum DX5e.

What do the experts think?

Kim

Kim, I believe all the 2.4g rf add-on modules tap into the pulse train from the encoder, the so-called PPM signal. On most Tx's this signal is available at the trainer socket, but the Fleet trainer system worked differently by switching one Tx off and the other one on. However, the PPM signal is available on the pcb on all transmitters. Exactly where depends on the particular model. If you can provide details and or photos, I may be able to find out for you, as my father in law was a partner in the Fleet business, and used to repair them. Can't make any promises, it was a while ago now and he doesn't have any drawings so would be going by memory.

The FrSky "Hack" module is a simple and reliable way of converting an old Tx to 2.4 GHz - here's a couple of mine:

(sorry about the camera shake on the second one!)

The single stick (c.1995) has been in use for about five years now without a problem, and the Royal Classic (c.1969) for about a year.

The Ace MicroPro uses the original encoder, the Royal Classic uses one of Phil Green's Arduino encoders. Both perform flawlessly.

You do need a smidgen of electronic knowledge (not a lot!) and to be able to solder reasonably tidily, but it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of anyone who can make up his own leads to adapt almost any older radio to 2.4 GHz, using these modules.

--

Pete

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my query. I will look up the youtube clip.

I have found some circuit diagrams for the Fleet XP/FM sets on this site: **LINK**

Trevor - thanks for your interest and offer to pick the brains of your father-in-law, any further information would be gratefully received.

On the subject of information, has anyone got a manual for the XP/FM which they could scan for me - somehow the set got separated from the box and book of words, which I seem to have lost.

Pictures of the set followdsc_0224.jpg

Front of the set (you knew that, didn't you). The gimbals look basic, but they've got a really nice feel.

dsc_0227.jpg

Inside the rear cover showing model and serial number

dsc_0229.jpg

With the cover plate removed, one of the batteries exposed (the other is mounted below the pcb on the right. Total 9.6V.

dsc_0231.jpg

Detail of above mentioned pcb

dsc_0232.jpg

Once removed, this pcb is exposed

Peter, thanks for the info on using the hack module. If I can identify where to connect it, I think I'm definitely going to do it, just as an exercise and 'because you can'.

Again, thanks to all and if anybody's got a book of words I could have a scan of, please let me know.

Kim

Kim - that looks like the 6 channel set without a tickover adjustment knob. As is mine, which is numbered 025617. I have the manual - 9 off A5 pages, excluding front cover and Guarantee page. 11 in total. I'll be happy to scan them into my pc ( a bit of reading will be required!) or simply copy them and post them. Your choice - although you'll have to advise me on how to get them to you over the net thingy (an attachment to an email? - I'm not well versed in that sort of stuff).

Kim, that's an XP transmitter, which makes it easy for you as it's the type shown in the YouTube video. The subject of their conversion had the mixer, I can't remember what that sub-variant was called. What's important is that the encoder board and rf boards were seperate, so it's fairly simple to see the PPM connection - I think it's the white wire, but I'll try to confirm it.

You should find the video useful, they make quite a neat job of the conversion. Oddly, the guy seems to praise how good the gear is in one breath, then use the hackneyed old "dodgy Fleet" dig in another. I had many years of good flying out of my various Fleet sets with very few problems, but I am obviously biased by family connection, and I worked in the shop on Saturdays before my kids were born.

I don't know if you've looked at suitable 2.4 modules, but the FrSky one they use in the video is available from T9 Hobbysport for less than £30. Their website lists compatible receivers, and I've found them good to deal with.

Good luck with the conversion, it will be a good time to replace the batteries too as you should disconnect them before dismantling too much.

Mike - close, but no cigar smiley

I should remember what the difference is between the XP/FM and yours, but I can't. Maybe yours came after mine, or maybe the other way around.

John - yes I think you're right. I can only count six channels, although my recollection was that it had seven, so obviously I'm even more senile than I thought!!

There is a blank in the top of the case for the tickover adjust, and a blank in the front where the slider for the seventh channel would be.

dsc_0226.jpg

I'd love it if you could scan the pages and email them to me John, I'll send you a pm with my email address.

Thanks to all again

Kim

Back in from the shed. Set up the vertical stabiliser on a COSMO 10SR 1990's high-winger, partly built at that time by a family member. 3 degrees C. Brrrr . . .!

6 channels - 4 on the sticks, 5th the slider on the front left-centre (eg flaps), 6th on the 2-position switch on the top panel right, labelled "Ch Sw" (eg spoilers,, retracts, bomb-drop).

Now off to scan manual and see what a "pm" is.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 28/11/2017 22:30:18:

Kim, that's an XP transmitter, which makes it easy for you as it's the type shown in the YouTube video. The subject of their conversion had the mixer, I can't remember what that sub-variant was called. What's important is that the encoder board and rf boards were seperate, so it's fairly simple to see the PPM connection - I think it's the white wire, but I'll try to confirm it.

You should find the video useful, they make quite a neat job of the conversion. Oddly, the guy seems to praise how good the gear is in one breath, then use the hackneyed old "dodgy Fleet" dig in another. I had many years of good flying out of my various Fleet sets with very few problems, but I am obviously biased by family connection, and I worked in the shop on Saturdays before my kids were born.

I don't know if you've looked at suitable 2.4 modules, but the FrSky one they use in the video is available from T9 Hobbysport for less than £30. Their website lists compatible receivers, and I've found them good to deal with.

Good luck with the conversion, it will be a good time to replace the batteries too as you should disconnect them before dismantling too much.

Trevor

I haven't looked up the video yet, but will do when I've got more time. I'm glad to hear that the conversion may be fairly straightforward.

I too had no problems with my original Digifleet 6 channel set, which is why I bought the XP/FM to replace it. I can't really remember why I felt the NEED to replace it, given that

a. The old set was still working perfectly and

b. As was the way then, it cost a LOT of money, compared to nowadays. Probably just to get on to 35megs and away from the threat of being shot down bu CBers with burner aerials at Epsom Downs.

The FrSky module was the one I had in mind, although if I could use a Spektrum DSMX compatible module that would integrate with my other kit. Having said that, the FrSky receivers are pretty cheap, so as an exercise in getting my old gear back in use (or to be more accurate, use it in anger for the first time) it's worth doing anyway.

The batteries are goosed anyway, so I'll have to replace them with something suitable - probably a couple of 4.8V NiMh packs in series to replace the NiCads in there now.

Thanks again

Kim

Posted by John Robertson 3 on 28/11/2017 23:36:46:

Scanning done. Surprisingly easy - I left it to "Auto" and all pages scanned as pdf files. Is that of use to you?

I had worked out that "Inbox" was probably the place to look, but nothing there a minute or so ago. It's empty, of course, as I've never used that facility before.

Yes John, that would be great

Sent a message a while ago, so should be there. I don't know if there's a delay in delivery. I don't mind anyone on here knowing my email address (I think it's in my profile) but don't want any spam bots picking it up.

No matter, my email is kimducati996atbtinternet.com

just replace 'at' with @ when you type it in.

Thanks again, off to bed now, work tomorrowcrying

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 29/11/2017 00:00:34