Auster AOR 9 engine advice

andy paterson

Advert

Well actually the designer ( Keith Humber) said in his article on this design " A four stroke of around 60 capacity would power this aircraft adequately "

The article was in RCModelWorld March 1986 when four strokes were a little less powerful than now so the Saito 62 would surely be quite OK. Also the model is a little tight for space in the cowl so a large engine might be difficult to conceal.

Of course it used to be Traplet and now these plans are from Sarik Hobbies.

Andy send me a PM if you need a scanned copy of the article.

Andy . Is your Saito an older version with a thin exhaust pipe and no silencer ? or the newer version with a muffler? If its the older less powerful model then its power will be equivalent between a 40 and 46 two stroke and will fly the model in a scale like manner but wont have any fun factor/ get out of trouble power . The later version has more power with a different cam and bigger valves and will fly that model easily. Its not an aerobatic model so shoehorning in a big engine will be a waste of time for scale like flying.

Just a quick correction. I think the aircraft you mean (or mis-typed) is an AOP 9 (I think the initials stand for Air Observation Post). I have a part finished quarter scale version (which hasn't been touched for longer than I care to remember but certainly 3 years).

I think the quarter scale called for a 120 four stroke and I was originally going to fit a Zenoah 26 but couldn't get it to fit the very narrow cowl. I think kc may be right and the 62 would be adequate but perhaps not startling. If I were to continue my build I would probably go electric.

Geoff

One of the reasons for keeping to the 62 is that the design uses engine bearers and it avoids ( probably! ) altering the bearer spacing which then can need other alterations.

This design has lots of attraction as an atmospheric type of plane but it was too large for me. Keith Humber also did a 45 inch AOP6 for Traplet (Sarik) in RCMW Oct 2004 plan No MW3091 but that was a little too small!    However there is also a 54 inch AOP9 version which would make a nice electric model.........if only I had the time to build it......  The 54 was a free plan in RCMW Nov2006.

Andy, the article has been scanned and sent to you.

Edited By kc on 23/12/2017 18:11:29

I agree with ED completely. Its a gentle model and excessive power is not required.

For the slightly larger DB auster I usually recommend our Laser 80 which gives a good performance with plenty in reserve. As this is a slightly smaller model I would say a 60 will fly it scale and a 70fs would probably be the sweet spot.