Next stage model required

Andrew Robinson

Dear all,

My twin boys (aged 11) have just passed their 'A' tests at the weekend on a TT 40 Trainer. I thought I would buy them a TT sport 40L as the next step as it behaves very similar, but have discovered that its no longer available!!
What would you good people recommend as the next model for them?
I want one which will be almost as docile on the landings as the trainer, but capable of allowing them to do tricks.

Thanks, Andy

Advert

Thank you for all your responses, I will pass on your Congrats to the Boys.
To be honest I'm looking for a low wing ARTF trainer with possibly tricycle undercarriage.
I have a black horse Super Sport which is OK, but its a tail dragger & lands quite fast. I don't want to have their confidence knocked by advancing them too quickly. I did that myself & after 3 crashes I was put off flying for almost a year. Very good at repairs now though ;)
I'm sure within 6 months they'll be nicking my Weston Groove & showing me what to do with it, but for now I want them to really nail the basics.

Aged 11!!!! Blimey. Well I am in a similar position, having just passed my A cert (aged 39), and I have been using the Black Horse Super Air for the last 4 months and it's brilliant. Rugged (although the covering is a little prone to dings)and a joy to fly. I have an OS46LA up front and that's bags of power. As part of my learning, I programmed the ailerons as flaperons too, and this reduced the landing speeds even further. I've flown in winds of upto 15mph with no dramas, and have yet to see any sign of the dreaded tip stall. Highly recommended.

Try the Vemar Escape with a 40 size engine. I have just progessed from high wing trainers on to this model. Easy to build, easy to fly, overall build quality good with exception of covering film. Expect to get the iorn out/ recover as required on the fusalage, and you have a great low wing trainer! Check out the review on this site.It won't break the bank, and has the tricycle undercarriage as required.

I would recomend the Seagull 40 low wing. Very similar to the black horse super air. But if you do get a 46 up front. I've flown gliders for 5 years and have used this to get into power its well built and does all the standard aerobatics you would expect from a low winger. Same point as Shaun about the black horse the covering is good but v. thin so take care if you get one.

I would say an Acrowot would be OK too - I actually went onto one straight after my very first really basic trainer ( the cotswold square one ) bet not many people remember them huh .....
I took and passed my A test on the acro, and my B later on. I have had 4 in all over the years, great all round sport model, loads of different engines will suit ( but only one at time :) )and look far nicer than the Wot4 - and If I know youngsters...and I do..... they will think this is important as well :)

Thank you all for your responses. As it turns out I may well be able to stretch to 2 models. I've got a Blackhorse Super Sport with crash damage which has a 40 SC 2 Stroke, which I can put right, and I have just purchased a Seagull Pilatus PC-9 as InwoodModels had a very good price, and one of the boys instructors said he would teach the boys some tricks with one! I now need to decide whether I fit a 46 ASP or a 52 ASP & still have sensible control.
I can see my 'cheap' hobby (as far as the wife knows) becoming visibly more expensive.

Timbo - Your right, looks matter, hence the PC-9, also I've promised to make the SuperSport look the business with lots of fancy trim, just to match the PC-9!
Shame, brown packing tape looks very fetching to me ............

I got a black horse travel air as my second model. A bit overpowered with an OS 46 AX but great for learning low wing. It has a parallel chord wing so it will not tip stall easily, but a tail dragger undercarriage to give you something new. A great model, but use a 46LA, it will be well powered.
However, don't rush onto a low winger and make sure they're fine flying the trainer. The more hours spent flying the trainer, the more confident they'll get before stepping up. If possible, take both models to a flying session and fly the trainer as a "warm-up." this worked fine with me. Just don't rush it and take it a step at a time, learning aerobatics and other stuff.
Jonathan L

The Seagull PC9 is fine on a 46 (mine is an Irvine) and this gives decent performance without being mad. If you find that it's hard to slow down when landing you might like to set the CG back 10mm from the instructions. It flies great out of the box but I've done this shift on 4 of these PC9s without adversley affecting normal flying (2 were mine & 2 belonged to others with favourable remarks). However it does allow a slower glide making the 'plane easier to land. By the way I know of PC9 with a 52/tuned pipe combination and goes like stink!

advice please lads (or lassies). I am bit of a newcomer to this flying mullarky. I found an aerobird extreme up a tree last year, I have now been bitten by the bug . i now have a twinstar 2, flown about 4 times at the moment, 1 crash ,now repaired. I got a Ripmax 40 trainer off ebay (airframe only) £5, i want to put an electric motor in,nothing special , just enough to get it flying . cash a bit tight at the moment so not too expensive. any suggestions or ideas please.

Hi Maurice, forty size electric is not going to be cheap, even nothing special, then you have all the gear that surrounds electric, ie chargers, batteries to charge the batteries, wattmeters etc etc. An OS46La might be a much cheaper option to be honest. Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Andrew

Been through the same stage myself recently but Im 40 years older than your boys!!
I started with an Arising Star then moved to Black horse speed air 40. after 12 months and "A" cert achieved its still in one peice.I found it more stable than my trainer and no problem at slow speed ,no vices and lively enough when you want to be.Cost wise there is no competition ,I did splash out for an OS 46AX which is also a great performer and perfectly matched to the Speed air.
Wish I had started this woondefrul sport when I was 11yrs old I have now moved to 3d. thanks to the Speed Air.Good luck to your boys.

Maurice. Danny is quite correct - forget the electric idea for this aeroplane, especiallyif you are used to free aerobirds, and £5 airframes. Modern electric gear for your Ripmax 40 trainer would be around £250! That does NOT ibnclude the radio equipment !!
Ebay for a budget 40 2T engine.

Try a Multiplex Magister with AXI 28/20/10 outrunner,& brushless controller, using 7 or 8 cell Nicads or NiMH - suggest Puffin models for the electrical bits. If you're used to oily things you will get twice the flying for half the running costs, & be more welcome when you get back home.