Turnigy Radio Sets

Geoff Peacock

I'm still looking for a budget 2.4GHz set. HK have excellent offers on both the 6XS and 9X models with receivers. I've looked at various reviews on the HK website and elsewhere, but…

I am now confused, with comments ranging from 'brilliant' to 'not so good' (or worse), the main problems being: unable to bind, no servo reverse, no timer and not full range.

Any comments or experiences would be welcome.

Advert

I'm sure you would find a broad range of reviews for all radio sets, not least some of the very expensive range.
I have used a Turning i6 since returning to the hobby after many years away. It has every thing I need and more, excellent range, light weight, low power consumption, binds 1st time every time and I have never had a glitch. I would buy another but then I don't need to with all those model memories.
Ya pays ya money, ya teks ya choice.

Think about the TGY i6, about £35 with iA6 Rx. I bought a quad from them equipped with this and was impressed enough to buy more Rx`s to fit out my other quads. Range is adequate and iA6b version is full range; also compatible with their excellent i10 Tx. which the A6 is not.

Loads of features inc: sub trim, reverse, separate rate switches, expo, in flight Rx battery monitor, failsafe etc at a fraction of the price of a basic Futaba and way superior. Very simple to program as long as you remember to press and hold the `cancel` button to enter a change!

Re branded Fly Sky set and I can see these continuing for a long time.

By the way, I do not praise radio gear lightly.

The 9XR-PRO is only £38.33 at present from HK **LINK**. You will need a RF module, but the FrSky XJT is fully supported and the firmware on the 'PRO is ersky9x, providing full telemetry support.

Full manuals for the 'PRO are here: **LINK**, so you may look to see if you would like it from them.

While a bit more money, you might also consider the FrSky QX7.

Mike.

Actually Percy, I would have said the same as you a few years ago, but if you look at the functionality and capability of these radios, the value is quite mind blowing. No wonder the big RC branded radios like Futaba, JR and Hitec are having a hard time in this market.

I need a another 8ch receiver for my JR XG11 but it costs £86 (when in stock) whereas some of the TGY ones are £8 and £14 for the telemetry capable ones. If I were looking to replace my JR radio (I am not), I would look seriously at the FrSky QX7. I say, if you can't beat em join em!

Geoff, regarding reviews, I would expect that people who use radios like these don't have too much experience. There are a fair number of pitfalls in getting a good installation. Fail to install well, get a bad result, and the radio gets the blame.

And I would say that don't worry about future proofing your spend. Because none of us have crystal balls, and no one knows which brands will be with us in a few years.

Your choice. You make your mind up. Too good to be true, just low mark ups in a short chain, or settle for reassuringly expensive.

One point however, warranty returns and HobbyKing do not really belong together in one sentence.

Edited By Don Fry on 04/01/2018 10:47:01

Hang on a minute Don, if you mean me, my main gear for the last 20 years is JR, and previously Multiplex, Simprop, Prestige etc. Just saying that you do not need to spend megabucks these days to get something pretty good. A new JR RD921 Rx is £120 plus satellites, not even telemetry, and there has been much written on this forum about Spektrum failures. Expensive no longer equates to quality in this game (servos excepted).

Some years ago I bought a Corona 2.4 Ghz module & rx from HK. The module gave up after a few weeks & I complained to HK customer services. They asked for a video of it not working, accepted my case & sent a new module & rx, which I used for several years successfully.

HK customer & warranty service is not all bad.

Tony Scott

Thanks for all your answers chaps.

Still a little unsure, so I'm still considering Ikkonix, but am now hearing that Hitec are in trouble!

I'm still open to further comments on either that one or the Turnigy. The 6XS is favourite at the moment, along with a couple of additional Rx's. Anyone else want to chime in? You'll be welcome, and I'll be grateful

+1 for the TGY-i6. I have been using and I am still using Multiplex transmitters for most of my models, but started to use the TGY for some smaller models (just in case). It has not disappointed me, and the same goes for a clubmate who bought one under the Flysky (original?) brand. Did someone mention already that Rx binding is memory specific, eliminating sending it up while on the wrong memory setting?

Max.

I have the 9X with Turnigy's AFHDS protocol and never had an issue with it flying planes, quad and helis. The only problem was the limited model memories so I bought a 9XR with a FrSky module as well and kept the helis on the 9X. I also bought a Spektrum DX6 which lost it's DSM2 functionality when the TX board failed and a DX9 which so far has been fine.

Was using the 9XR for about 12 years in total until recently some of my PSS models started to fly badly which I eventually discovered was down to the pots in the 9XR beginning to fail so I "upgraded" to a Horus X12 using the same FrSky protocol so I kept all my receivers!

So in conclusion, the 9X and the 9XR have both been long serving and work perfectly fine for range and speed, but if you can stretch your budget get a FrSky Horus (X7, X10 or X12)

Posted by Percy Verance on 04/01/2018 06:26:27:

Personally Geoff I wouldn't touch them with two bargepoles tied together. I'd go for something like that new HiTec compatible 6 channel set at £50, or possibly spend a bit more and go for one of the Tactic sets. Chances are these Turnigy sets won't be around too long, and in 12 or 18 months time when you fancy another receiver they'll be history.

Take a look on the Airtek Hobbies site Geoff. Both sets I mentioned are on there. With the HiTec compatible set (Kontronic) Airtek have 6 channel receivers available for £17 which doesn't seem too bad.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/01/2018 06:38:03

You can get a decent Tx for the price of two bargepoles Percy. wink