Chris's Vicomte 1916

Advert

Hi Martian,

No worries, I won't forget Pierre, 'le pilote'. smiley

I made my own pilots for my Bella Ballerina and the lightest one at 1:6 scale weighted 8g but was quite fragile.

617_foamiepierre_8g_900.jpg

I will be making a new more realistic - less 'stiff' - one for Vicky as I will be able to use it for the Fury as well, being at the same scale. That is, if I ever get to the point of starting that latter build. indecision

I guestimate the 'new' one will be around 15 - 18g.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Driver Control

Hello to all,

If any living soul is still interested in the figures, let’s have that second part of the weighing process.

The stab/elevator parts are 35g. The fin and rudder 17g, the tail skid 7g, the Spanwis 10g and Pierre estimated at 20g at most.

That brings our provisional weight to > 274 + 236 + 35 + 17 + 7 +10 + 20, being a total of 599g.

Now the original Svenson plan clearly states a weight of 800g without R/C stuff. So I supposed it was the weight of the assembled parts included in the kit, which are outlined here above, exception made for the u/c wire. Why then that difference of +/- 200 grams? question

I’m certainly not complaining about it, but am I missing some point here, please… ? blush angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Question Mark Control

Thank you for commenting, Robert. yes

I thought you could be right thinking about the weight of the covering, so I went to check the Svenson construction notes.

Unfortunately the covering was 'optional' - they do mention Solartex and used it on their prototype - and isn't part of the vintage kit and the mentioned frame weight. frown

Your idea made me think about the vintage wheels, but they're not included either as they advise to buy some vintage Veron or Williams Bros examples.

Anyhow, it seems that I have a bit of a' weight bonus' that I will eagerly use for my planned detailing. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bonus Control

Hi again,

Unfortunately, no visit at La Grotte this weekend. The LotH's elections are getting closer and it seems one can really 'feel' it. Meetings, study committees, program reunions, visits to local evening markets and a proper 'steak & hen' lunch and dinner party during last two days... sad cocktail angel

However back to duty today and I do realize this isn’t ‘world news’ at all, but I finally decided to post it anyway.

Even if it can only help one forumite, it will be worth the trouble of posting as it can be handy with all types of translucent covering.

As you all know by now, Vicky is going to be covered with translucent Natural Solartex.

As a few spots needed a bit of filler, like the epoxy glued elevator joiner, the simple use of lightweight ‘white’ filler would easily show up through the covering.

I thought about using a ‘cousin’ of the famous ‘Freddie B sauce’ and decided to mix a small amount of filler with a few drops of Deluxe’s ‘Sand & Seal’ and half a drop of brown artist acrylic paint.

943_vic_elevator-dowel_900.jpg

The mixture can then easily be brushed on in any desired thickness and is a pleasure to sand.

I was a tiny bit heavy-handed with the brown acryl as it is a bit too dark compared to the balsa, but Vicky’s parts will receive a darker staining anyway.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Filling Control

Hi Chris just back from our hols in sunny Greece where it was unseasonably hot smile d not much Internet where we were so have been catching up on things. Sound's as though the election work is going well hope you get the result for all of the work that you both have put in yes. As usual all of the work on Vicki is spot on, looking forward to the next installment.

Paul.

Thanks for visiting, Paul.

I'll forgive you leaving for holidays 'again'. wink

The LotH and I really love Greece and Creta even more as the people over there really have a fantastic sense of hospitality.

We normally go early June and - post summer - beginning October, but this year the latter had to be cancelled due to 'election duties' for Iris. She's really working hard and I try to assist her the best I can.

Being 2nd in position on her party list, she has a big opportunity of being part of the Council.

Of course this is slowing down Vicky's build and will also certainly delay my Fury Masterclass commitment, but 'Priorities First'... smiley cool

I managed to have a mini-session at La Grotte today and some pics will follow shortly. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Priorities Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/09/2018 17:22:16

Hello to all,

As the basic parts of the frame and control surfaces are now mainly built, Gaston insisted on having our first ‘bench flying’ session. cool

945_vic_bench-fly01_900.jpg

First impression to me is that it appears quite ‘large’ at 1600mm wingspan or Gaston might just have been shrinking a bit.... ? wink

956_vic_bench-fly02_900.jpg

959_vic_bench-fly03_900.jpg

As Gaston seems chuffed, I can only be pleased too. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bench Flying Control

Hi to All,

Thank you both for the very motivating comments, gents. smiley

I managed to have a long and fertile afternoon in La Grotte today.

As the next step will involve staining of all those wooden parts, at least the bits in contact with the covering, I started with the first layer of tainted Sand 'n Seal to all of them.

While that was drying, I sanded the already stained fin/rudder with a soft rubbing of 800 grit. This gives a very 'old fashion' furniture patina. Even Drew Pritchard might be totally envious... wink

The stab/elevator got a final staining as well as the tail skid and the bottom side of the wing.

Those parts are now drying and I hope to be able to finish the rest of it as well tomorrow.

Pics to follow when it's 'safe enough'. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Motivation Control

Thanks for the kind and nice words, gents.

The Vicomte is supposed to be a great flyer, Dirk. If built light it can even be that slow that it's able to fly 'backwards' in a little breeze. Supposedly excellent for some calm and lazy evening flights. cool

I share your thoughts regarding the covering, BEB. But I guess it won't fly that great without it. wink

The plan is to stain - with diluted burnt umber acrylic paint - the wood that gets in contact with the covering. With the use of translucent Natural Solartex, I hope to obtain sufficient contrast to be able to still notice the underlying structure. Did I wrote "I hope"...

Back to La Grotte now for the next staining session.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Contrast Control

Hi again, gents.

I’ve always liked to play with acrylics and particularly having them diluted to act like ‘aquarelle’ paint. Hence I thought Vicky’s wood staining would be quite enjoyable, but in the end, I’m glad having reached the end of it. cool

961_vic_staining01_900.jpg

Mind you, I really like the result, but it just took me a bit too long to remain totally therapeutic.

I also painted the bottom of the cockpit in flat black to give it some more ‘depth’.

964_vic_staining02_900.jpg

The tail skid received a bottom ‘gliding’ protection. I simply used the cut off of a nylon tie wrap, making sure I kept the ‘teeth’ at the inside… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Therapy Control

Very kind, John. Thanks.

When I was reading about the "flat cap", I had a large smile and imagined Mr Pritchard making me an offer of £200 for Vicky.

I answered that he should have a look at that Dutch Antique Shop asking €475 for a very 'tired' Vicomte and that when starting over at €600, we could have another talk... angel cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bid Control

Hello to all,

As I had time enough between the staining drying sessions, I had a small progress with some detailing bits.

I have some 2mm thin and light ply of ‘unknown’ quality as it is the bottom of a French goat cheese from the ‘Vosges’ region. The two main advantages are that it has a thin vinyl lamination and… it’s free. smiley

The lamination should help to assist the smooth adhesion of some water transfers, hence perfect to make Vicky’s instrument panel.

969_vic_dash01_900.jpg

As I had a duo of those decals - thanks for it, Gaston yes - I tested a solution that could give a more ‘glossy’ glass-type aspect to the gauges.

I tried to score the perimeter of the applied decals to be able to fill the gauge surface with a glossy ‘substance’ but I only managed to ruin the test decals. sad

Scoring the transfer with the backpaper still on gave a much better result. I also tested different glues to be applied by capillarity, ie B7000 (jewellers glue) = too ‘gel-ish’, F560 (canopy glue) = nicely fluid, but too matt and finally, simple household Pattex 100% = a bit lacking of capillarity but very nicely glossy when dry.

Unfortunately, the pic and the angle of the light don’t really show the top dashboard as being very different to the one underneath. frown

974_vic_dash02_900.jpg

This angle is a bit better but again only full daylight gives its gauges the true brightness.

At least I can erase my doubts regarding the visibility of the Photoshop'd brass screws as they remain easily noticeable even at this small scale.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Daylight Control

Thank you both, gents.

Splendid idea regarding the 'third' benefit, Andy.

I simply love goat cheese. I cut it in small cubes, fill half a salvaged jam jar with olive oil, add some aromatic mediterranean herbs, a red chili pepper and finally add the cheese. We call them 'apericubes'. You can keep them for quite a long time in the fridge. yes

The last advantage of it all is that The LotH doesn't appreciate goat cheese that much... winkangel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Apericubes Control

Thanks for commenting, Dwain.

I just hope you didn't mean the "detail" of the apericubes's recipe... ? angel

Regarding you upcoming "building bug", if you feel you have enough inter-war biplanes now, why not consider a WW1-era monoplane.  surprise

Why not having a Vicomte standing proud on your building board???  cool

I can mail you the plans in .pdf, even including an aileron version drawing with mono-servo/bell crank or dual servos installment...

Just give me a sign if any interest, please

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Building Bug Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 26/09/2018 19:59:37

Hi again,

I had a close look at the fuselage, measuring for the positioning of the servo platform and the Lipo baseplate, together with some measures for the control horns at the tailplanes. Intending to have a bit of progress to my learning curve, the rudder will be a closed loop while the elevator will remain ‘conventional’ (easier for me !) with probably a 2mm carbon rod. indecision

With the purpose to save some weight, I also took the decision to have some brown paper covering applied to the sheeted front of the fuselage and to the back end at the tailplanes, keeping the tex covering at the build up sections.

After all that pondering, Gaston proposed to have a welcomed break with the dry fit of the instrument panel together with ‘petit’ Pierrot. yes

977_vic_dash03_900.jpg

986_vic_dash04_900.jpg

Surprisingly the mahogany-type dash ‘wood’ is a lot more red-ish than the staining. A bit unforeseen, but then it also gives a nice vintage ‘aristocratic’ touch. angel

The close-up pic also is a good representation of the stained balsa, I think.

Where did I leave that Pritchard guy’s email address... ? surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Measuring Control