Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Posted by Nigel R on 24/01/2018 11:04:32:

"I know that the Toyota hybrids cannot be towed and cannot tow"

Not every petrol car can be towed, or can tow a caravan either. At some point towing a van will be possible for hybrids. But let's face it, as a caravanner you're a bit of a niche and the hybrids will be aimed at mass market first and foremost.

As for being towed, when was the last time you towed your car anywhere? The last time I towed anything it had carbs , a distributor, and fully manual steering - "some" years ago.

I often see cars being towed by the AA et.al

Advert

Regarding the important part, .... transporting model planes, my Hyundia Ioniq is more than adequate for my needs.

It's a hatch back, fold down seats, and having some quite big models, B-17, Lancaster, Vulcan, Sunderland etc, (no, not all in the car at the same time), similar room to my previous cars. Plus it feels like a 'drivers' car, sporty, not a large box on wheels, (Chelsea tractor). Having been through a few 'cross-over' type vehicles, at 74 I'm enjoying driving again. Worth considering if you are thinking hybrid, though they do a full electric version as well.

Ray.

There's a Hyundai dealer only about 8 miles from us. I think they may be worth a visit. I don't mind so-called budget cars. We had a Skoda Favorit estate for some years just after they were taken over by VW and it was fine. We could even get our tandem inside with the front wheel removed and the backwheel between the front seats!

We've had our current car, a Mitsubishi Space Star for about 11 years. We don't change very often. The only car I really loved was our 1967 Austin Healey Mk 4 Sprite in which we did around 100k miles, mostly with the roof off

Geoff

"I often see cars being towed by the AA et.al"

Sorry, I thought you meant towing it yourself.

Breakdown vans (at least some of them) have a yoke to raise the drive wheels. They can tow any front wheel drive car with that. Situation normal, for them.

Edited By Nigel R on 24/01/2018 16:01:25

Posted by Phil 9 on 23/01/2018 07:25:37:
Posted by Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 06:40:51:

C8, once the revenue from petrol and diesel begins to diminish, the Government will undoubtedly look at the other motoring related consumables/expenses on which they could consider imposing duty/further duty. Tyres or windscreen wipers for example could have additional duty on them, as could vehicle repairs and servicing. Things like driving lessons could also be hit. And of course there's the new favourite, road tolls.......H M Government simply has​ to get this revenue from somewhere to get all their figures stack up. Who said Dick Turnip was dead?

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 06:50:24

I wonder if we will see GPS tracking become compulsory and a pay by mile system be put in place. The data could also be used to generate speeding fines or even limit the top speed of the vehicle to match the speed limit. In theory police may have the ability to remotely stop a vehicle if smart technology is introduced

Pay by the mile is probably a bit extreme as far as the average motorist goes as this would probabaly hit the average family harder than everything else. What is needed is a way to raise revenue while also improving drivers to drive better.

Therefore, I would love to see a system that fines every motorist every time they don't indicate: how hard can it be to fit an multi axis IMU, accelerometer, GPS (you know, from drones) and steering monitor that detects where the vehicle is and to what degree it turns. This then links to the DVLA which fines you a penny each time.

Bingo! People actually bother to move their finger an inch to indicate because it nudges them in the pocket.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 24/01/2018 17:41:56:
Posted by Phil 9 on 23/01/2018 07:25:37:
Posted by Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 06:40:51:

C8, once the revenue from petrol and diesel begins to diminish, the Government will undoubtedly look at the other motoring related consumables/expenses on which they could consider imposing duty/further duty. Tyres or windscreen wipers for example could have additional duty on them, as could vehicle repairs and servicing. Things like driving lessons could also be hit. And of course there's the new favourite, road tolls.......H M Government simply has​ to get this revenue from somewhere to get all their figures stack up. Who said Dick Turnip was dead?

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/01/2018 06:50:24

I wonder if we will see GPS tracking become compulsory and a pay by mile system be put in place. The data could also be used to generate speeding fines or even limit the top speed of the vehicle to match the speed limit. In theory police may have the ability to remotely stop a vehicle if smart technology is introduced

Pay by the mile is probably a bit extreme as far as the average motorist goes as this would probabaly hit the average family harder than everything else. What is needed is a way to raise revenue while also improving drivers to drive better.

Therefore, I would love to see a system that fines every motorist every time they don't indicate: how hard can it be to fit an multi axis IMU, accelerometer, GPS (you know, from drones) and steering monitor that detects where the vehicle is and to what degree it turns. This then links to the DVLA which fines you a penny each time.

Bingo! People actually bother to move their finger an inch to indicate because it nudges them in the pocket.

Fine people for not indicating ? jeez n I'm being called grumpy. face 1 expect the unexpected n leave room to deal with it works for me.

I think we only have one club member at present who owns an hybrid, never really looked at them, always late to the party with new stuff myself.

Pay per mile would be great because those who use the roads most would pay the most...pretty fair by any estimation. It might also make people think about those unneeded journeys and help to unclog the roads.

Percy, you clearly love Toyota and theres no denying their reliability including their Lexus offshoot but don't forget that the Mitsubishi Outlander was voted most reliable SUV in 2017 and that was in no small part down to the PHEV version.

Andrew

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 18:12:02:

Don, I'll have 50p says it'll be pay per mile will be what they go with when the time comes. I don't like it anymore than you do, but they're already trialling it in various places........ Once the revenue from petrol and diesel begins to drop, then I think they'll make their move. Of course none of us yet knows when all this might come about, but I for one won't be too shocked if we see it inside the next 10 years.

Edited By Percy Verance on 24/01/2018 18:18:39

50p! You must be really convinced! If it takes 10 years I doubt it'll bother me a deal I think it seems a fairer system though but I don't know how it'll cope with older vehicles without a transponder unless they are required to be retro-fitted.

I've long held the view that traffic will decline naturally with time as VR becomes so good it becomes indistiguishable from real-life. We'll all be living in the virtual world and interacting with each other without the need to be physically in the same space yet still being able to 'feel'. The only problem will be that virtual food isn't very nourishing Certainly not in my life time but possible in the life time of children to be born to current newborns.

Geoff

Only about 25% of the revenue from VED and fuel duty is spent on roads, it all just goes to the treasury. Pity they can't spend a bit more on filling holes in the road round here. Won't be any different for 'pay per mile' schemes, just another way of raising revenue - just like 'safety' cameras devil. I will now retire to the bunker!

Be interesting to see how PPM would work. Would it be a flat rate or would there be one rate for 'white van man' (commercial) and another for 'non essential journeys' i.e. a trip to the Nationals or visiting your grandchildren. (not being controversial here - honest! wink 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 25/01/2018 05:32:08

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/01/2018 06:32:05:

Piers, I think most of us already know that only a portion of VED goes where it ought to, but HM Government still need to collect the cash in any case. They couldn't make ends meet without it.......

They probably could make ends meet if they didn't keep spending our hard-earned cash on vanity projects, useless defence projects, failed computerisation programs, "smoke and mirrors" finance schemes and continuing to contract out to the same companies that repeatedly fail to deliver!

And lest the mods think I'm being political, they are all as bad as each other!

angry

--

Pete