Electric Cars.

Cuban8

Advert

Just remember how fast change is happening, could your Grandparents ever have envisaged flying to Australia non-stop, mobile phones, colour TV etc etc.

Everybody seems to think all electric car owners will charge their car up at the same time and during peak hours, when in reality most will charge overnight when demand is lower. But what is going to happen is there will be a mix of hybrid and electric vehicles, possibly hydrogen powered trucks and buses which can be refilled at depots so not needing a full hydrogen distribution network.

Posted by Ikura on 16/02/2018 17:07:45:

It's not just the charging, it's also the capacity of batteries.

Look at our beloved model LiPo batteries. 6 to 8 minute flights and then recharge before using the battery again. That's ok for model aircraft but work that into a fully integrated transport system? Never going to happen.

Totally agree, Ikura. Using 3S 2200 mAh LiPos (intended for model aircraft) to power electric cars is never going to happen.

Posted by Nigel R on 16/02/2018 17:10:47:
Percy

Hydrogen is, as some have noted, a net energy sink. You have to use energy to make it. That fact alone makes it a non starter for an oil replacement. Yes it can be made by hydro power, but the capacity of that is far too limited.

Not only hydro power but solar power or wind/wave/tidal power will produce hydrogen too. Certainly the aero engine manufacturers seem to think that there is a future for Hydrogen. As for a net energy sink, arn't all batteries just that? Also, oil may be 'free' but it costs a heck of a lot to find it in the first place, especially if it is under the sea or the Artic. Then there is the energy required to refine it, transport it to petrol stations etc. As well as being a pollutant at so many levels, oil is a finite resource but hydrogen's raw material is water and the waste product of burning hydrogen in air is water. There is quite a lot to like about hydrogen. heart

However, the next big thing could be metal-air batteries (says he, gazing into his crystal ball) Unfortunately they can't seem to make them work properly but if they ever do it will be a game changer with the prospect of a 1000 mile range on one charge.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/02/2018 18:33:38

Nigel, fake news I'm afraid, well at least old news, as this article from the BBC (must be true!) said that manufacturers were very interested in Hydrogen as an alternative to Kerosine up to about 12 years ago but are now more interested in biofuel. However their objection was based on the high cost of hydrogen production and the fact that the huge amounts of electricity required produced from fossil fuel defeated the object (true-but). This assumes three things, 1) that fossil fuel is cheap, it won't be when it is not available. 2) It will continue to be OK to produce NOx and carbon, as waste products. 3) Alternative clean energy won't be omnipresent at some time in the future. So perhaps in the medium to longer term biofuel will be a good stop gap but after 30 years or even sooner hydrogen may find favour?

I agree hybrid drives are attracting a lot of research and may suit some niche applications. I think the problem is weight: engine/fuel/generators/batteries/motors. Weight is not so critical with buses or cars but with aeroplanes it tends to impinge on efficiency, payload and range. There are some interesting concepts out there though. We live in interesting times.

Posted by Peter Miller on 17/02/2018 08:56:06:

I drive an Aixam Crossline micro car,

I see that Aixam now manufacture an electric car that only does 30mph but YOU CAN DRIVE IT WITHOUT A LICENCE. I believe that 16 year olds can drive it.

OK for towns of course but I wonder how banned drivers would get on with it

I think you will find that UK licencing laws are different to French law re licencing of vehicles and that a driving licence will be needed to drive an Axiom on public roads in the UK.