First build

Robert Edney

Advert

While there's a great deal of satisfaction in producing a lovely straight and accurate model, at the end of the day, our models claw their way through a relatively thick soup of air molecules at much lower wing loadings compared to full sized aircraft, with (competitive models excepted) little need for optimum efficiency and a great deal of aerodynamic latitude.

One of my clubmates managed to produce a DH71 with a wing resembling a propeller - I maidened it for him with a hefty aileron offset (and ran out of trim in the same direction!) and it's flown successfully ever since.

A non-aileron wing could have trim tabs added if a small rudder offset didn't take care of a warp - in fact, I used to own a share in a 1935 Rhonbussard glider which had a 1 degree twist in its wing (long story including a wartime German coal mine and university project) and was fitted with fixed aluminium trim tabs which were only noticeable above about 75 knots - way outside any normal efficient operating speed.

Two choices, cut adjust the brace to suit, perhaps a need to chamfer the root ribs to get the chosen angle. But at the risk, as others have slandered me in the past, of having a touch of cynicism in my soul, 105 mm, or 4 inches, is probably an arbitrary number, chosen for aesthetic reason. If 85 or 83 mm is what you have, go with it.

Part of the fun is driving a result dispite the materials. They just don't cough their cockups. That's why lots on here hide their names.

Not really enjoying the problem solving and my camera is very poor so cannot post a pic,I'm just gonna do it at the 85 mm. Gonna do it out of spite. It will fly. I just don't understand why a kit needs so much cutting and messing about to get a good fit, I thought you followed the plan and it all fitted together!!

Dream on mate. I've been doing this for 50 odd years. I have done one kit which was near perfect. The instructions were also perfect to the point of pedantic. I have done the odd plan which was right. Not many mind, and the errors I have seen are alarming. And is a bit better nowadays, with the CAD software helping the designer.

" I thought you followed the plan and it all fitted together!!"

Yeah that's definitely a view from the hopeless optimist camp...

These are fairly complex structures that are never thoroughly tested. If you're really lucky, the guy who drew the plan has (a) actually built more than one prototype and (b) remembered to fix all the cockups on the plan and (c) all that experience made it into the kit.

Or to put it another way, what Don said.

Solarfilm is probably the right covering material or the cheaper version sold by HobbyKing is just as good. See the Solarfilm video online or send 4 1st class stamps for the DVD ( mentioned in RCME recently ) for the best tutorial on covering.

The video is by the inventor of Solarfilm -Derek Hardman- and is over an hour of great instruction - learn from the master!

To some extent you get what you pay for with kits - the expensive ones may be better, but all demand some skill in working out the best way to build to your requirements. That's why it's an achievement to build your own model -if it was easy it wouldn't be so worthwhile.

Edited By kc on 31/01/2018 16:47:36

Edited By kc on 31/01/2018 16:49:52

Posted by Nigel R on 31/01/2018 16:06:20:

" I thought you followed the plan and it all fitted together!!"

Yeah that's definitely a view from the hopeless optimist camp...

These are fairly complex structures that are never thoroughly tested. If you're really lucky, the guy who drew the plan has (a) actually built more than one prototype and (b) remembered to fix all the cockups on the plan and (c) all that experience made it into the kit.

Or to put it another way, what Don said.

Don't blame the designers. Most errors are caused between the designer sending his plan in and it being printed.

I build a model from my final tracing, then I correct any errors in the plan and send it in.

I then get a proof and lay my tracing over the proof and tell the editor about the mistakes.

Sometimes they are corrected. Not always.

I have sent people PDF files of my original plan to compare them. Ask KC about Ballerina! and there were worse examples

I'm not meaning to blame anyone Pete and I left out a lot from that short list! Plus I assume that the model in this thread is kitted by the designer. Perhaps a poor assumption.

My point was more that the RC business does not usually, for any single design out there, have many iterations through the loop of design -> prototype -> test -> customer purchase -> feedback into design and go again. Long standing kit production runs may go through a few cycles to iron out the big grolleys, but the smaller runs, no chance to correct.

days gone by-most kits were crepe......and needed a load of fettling to say the least... in the 80's when I joined our club, I was told if I could get any of the free plans to work and fly, consider it an achievement,we are spoiled today to an extent ...

ken Anderson...ne...1...... fettling dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 01/02/2018 09:42:57

I was able to compare Peter's original Ballerina plan with the published plan so I can confirm that Peter is right!

But to get back to the original subject, I believe we are discussing this design which is probably one of the lowest cost set of parts ( not a complete kit) and it's not a design I have heard of before. So we should bear in mind the cost before criticising too much.   Building a well known and established design might have been better for a first model, but I think Robert said it was a gift so perhaps no chance to choose.  Buying that suppliers mMAAOSwl9BWLlEV">O Four Ninier product might have been a better choice as it's an established design.   Anyway the Embark  has already served it's purpose as it's got him into building and resolving all the little problems is good experience.

Looking at the photos it does not appear to have much dihedral ( might be an optical illusion ) so the 85mm dihedral will likely be quite OK.  Looking at the details of the Fournier O49 it says email him if you have any questions -  ask about dihedral for the Embark  and your feedback will probably help him get it right for future buyers.

Edited By kc on 01/02/2018 11:38:04

I would be tempted to use the HbbyKing stuff. Because it's cheap enough to make some mistakes. The iron temperatures are the same as pro-film. I have found it to be very good to apply, and is durable in use. First class stuff, irrespective of price. Loads of videos online.

Don't use a heat gun, an iron only.