Balsa Cabin

Jeff staines 1

Advert

Of course it's not Cliff, Esme & Carol Goater running Balsa Cabin nowadays but the current owners have the same helpful attitude. Slightly different location in Maldon now. Best place to buy balsa etc - best prices and quality. Range of fitings too.  You need to phone before visiting

Having said that it's also worth stating that SLEC equal them and do some items like 6 inch wide sheet as well.

Edited By kc on 28/01/2018 11:34:19

No real need to 'phone unless you're coming a long distance and want to be sure of not having a wasted journey. BC are open Mon-Fri but are closed between 1300-1400 for lunch. They're also closed on the monday after a show weekend.

Just as a matter of interest, it's not just modellers that they supply balsa to, it's used in all manner of stuff and I was fascinated to hear that they supply the film industry with balsa for props such as tables and chairs, doors and  barriers that get smashed up by stuntmen

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/01/2018 12:45:07

Isn't it lovely to see a 100% positive feedback for a company who obviously make a great effort to go the extra mile? I bought some stuff at the Nats and the lady the served me was absolutely delightful. I found the Solite I bought to be such good stuff that I phoned to order more for the next project and the service, price and delivery were everything you could ask for. Big thanks,

David

I used to use Balsa Cabin a lot. Favoured getting my balsa from them, had a number of their kits (and the quality of the wood in these and value of the kits was fantastic), also various other key items like glue, etc. I built a great stock up such that for a few years I was not quite so active building but using my stocks up. Living fairly locally it was easy to pop in to the cabin and Cliff was a great source of information and help. Since those early days they have moved to their current location, and It was last year as my teenage son started to build model aircraft and learn to fly r/c that I first made contact with them at Wings and Wheels and then went to the shop.

Cliff may no longer be at the helm but the family connection is there and so is the great friendly service and quality. Every time I have been they have been getting orders sorted or preparing for shows. It is traders such as Balsa Cabin and SLEC that produce and/or supply good products and services to us modellers and we should make sure we support them. I have to say that my son was really impressed by them - and teenagers are not always easily impressed.

I also use Hobbies for wood etc Very good quality and service and short delivery times. I can't get to any of their outlets but any contact I have had with them has always been a pleasant experience. I loved going to their shop in Liverpool but they closed up. Mind you Stan Catchpole's Model world was the place to go.but he eventually retired. Before that he managed Precision Model Engineering in Whitechapel. He was well known as a modeller too. Those were the days.

Posted by Percy Verance on 30/01/2018 14:55:30:

I bought my first DB Expo 80 kit from Stan Catchpole at the World Champs in 1978 onetenor.......

Oh the memories.........

!978...the year I returned to modelling after the usual girls/motorbikes/cars/wife/babies break...a great year!

Oh and a thumbs up for Balsa Cabin as well.

• 2 years later...
Posted by charlie holdford on 17/10/2020 15:54:54:

Balsa Cabin service is magnificent, always helpful. It amazes me every time I open up a box from them. The packaging is a work of art.

Sadly, I think I had the last of the 48" sheets of Soft and Medium Balsa.

Let's hope they can negotiate a deal for next Year.

I don't think it will be a deal. More a sweeping up of the bits the Chinese don't want. On the plus side It might mean that others will see an opportunity as it is a fairly fast growing "crop". Maybe where they have chopped all those trees down in the Amazon ?