img_0518.jpgLast Sunday I ordered 2 x 6" propellors and 1 x 4" propellers from a shop I have used before. Should state that this is not a thread knocking the shop probably more the courier as the service was excellent. The government are having a clampdown on plastic waste etc. I was out when the courier arrived so he left my Jiffy bag with my neighbour as I thought, wondered why as I have a large letter box. Collecting the package I was given a cardboard box 13.5" x 11.5" x 2"containing my three props. As the box was printed with the courier name all over I assume that they supply the packing for the parcels they collect. A medium size padded envelope would have been sufficient for my bits. Save the planet?

john

Edited By John Tee on 04/02/2018 19:58:59

Advert

The picture goes where the cursor is - write some text, do a carriage return (enter key) and then post the picture.

You can also pop a picture in the middle of some text by clicking where you want it to go and then posting the picture.

You can resize it by clicking on the picture and dragging the corner squares.

Both the images above are clickable and open up in full size. Click the browser's back arrow to return to the thread.

Some people have a preference to getting the picture to open in a new window. Click on this one:

to see the difference (to enable this when you're posting or editing, go to the icon to the left of the camera icon, select Link tab, target, new window).

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/02/2018 00:53:09

I ordered 8 x 1S 200mAH LiPos for my indoor winter flying from HK. They arrived each in a little cardboard box that was easily big enough to accommodate all 8 of the batteries.

I think big on-line mail order companies like Amazon or, in our case, HK have a selection of boxes ready to use with a lot of lightweight (usually plastic) packing material so inevitably the packages end up being mostly air. At least, if they're cardboard, they're recyclable.

Geoff

In other words small packages are more easily concealed when being stolen.Books are quite often "LOST" in transit. I'm sorry to say this but it does happen. I've just contacted the supplier of a book which is overdue.It is normally quite an expensive book to buy even in paperback but I bought this one at a lucky price. The supplier has told me if it doesn't arrive by the 8 th he will refund me all costs. This has happened a few times from different suppliers. Stripped of the packaging which is dumped the contents are easily pocketed and there are no identifiers as to ownership even if the suspected thief is asked where the book came from. One bad apple etcangry

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

At least cardboard is recyclable and biodegradable.

What I hate is when the stuff inside the box is wrapped in bubble-wrap, then selotaped so you can't get the delicate items out without breaking or cutting in to them. I just bought an ARTF plane that has very delicate balsa structures. Each of them (wings, fin, tailplane and fuselage) is protected by a relatively stiff plastic sleeve wrapped around, then tightly selotaped all round. The selotape is completely unnecessary because the locations in the box prevent the items coming out of the sleeves. It's a really difficult surgical operation to remove the said items from their sleeves. The selotape only adds to the risk of damage and doesn't prevent anything.

One explanation for the rather large cardboard boxes is that many businesses have to pay to dispose of their waste packaging, so it makes a lot of sense to reuse it and send it to customers rather than buy additional more appropriate sized packaging that only adds to the waste pile.

Posted by Nigel R on 12/10/2018 13:01:06:

If you want odd size parcels, it may be more expensive to hand pack and load and post.

I put the same post onto an American website and one respondent said that it was a question of the speed with which order pickers have to work. They just find the first box and shove your order into it.