Own Design 2m F3A Model

Dan Workman

Advert

Gary yes there will be forces generated by the canaliser to a certain degree just from rolling, pitching etc but the main reason for the canaliser is to direct the airflow directly over the fin and rudder. It makes the rudder much more efficient/powerful. And if you use less rudder to sustain KE then there is less chance of inducing unwanted roll and pitch- less to mix.

Its seems to be pretty standard procedure to have it on the canopy but yes you do have to make sure its very secure. It wouldnt do too much damage and you'd be able to land safely but if anything does fall off your model while competing thats that round zero'd!

Edited By Dan Workman on 12/02/2018 19:00:53

I think Dan is setting new standards with this plane as far as individual modelling goes. I have not seen such a superb construction made before with the use of two dimensional CAD and laser cutting (?) . You can hardly suggest it's traditional modelling although of course balsa and ply are being used.

Well done Dan , I bet there are not many if any that could match what you are doing, or are there?

Thank you Ton and Mike for the compliments.

No i wouldnt suggest its traditional modelling at all, apart from the materials being used!
My biggest problem is im quite (read very) impatient builder. As long as its straight, light and strong enough im happy, if it has a good finish thats a bonus. But the more you do it the more likely you are to have a good finish. I do tend to use cyano more than i should though!!

The 'self jigging' element of using Cad is great. I will put some pics up soon of the wings. It all slots together like a jigsaw! Then i use a female jig to sandwich the wings when sheeting. It all makes for a very straight wing with not much effort. But i suppose the effort came while drawing it up on cad!

There a few guys within f3a who build there own models, to a much better standard than me!

I just want to get it in the air and start practicing, i need it!