An Introduction to the PSSA 2018 Mass Build Project

Pete - we will work on providing an 'additional wood required' list asap - at present I'm working away from home and have no access to the plan so this might take a few days due to travel - apols.

Steve - you are right there is no planned build article to go with the Hurricane - but we did make some notes on the fuselage assembly during the recent 'beta' test build which I will tidy up and provide a copy of on here shortly after the wood list.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 27/02/2018 22:50:24

Advert

In the meantime I'd like to explain how you can purchase a 3D printed WW2 scale pilot bust and a pair of Hurricane exhaust stacks as fitted to the prototype model if you want to add those finishing scale touches!

Sean from Real Model Pilots **LINK** has explained there is a choice of WW2 RAF busts to choose from (mask on, mask off etc) - they retail at £5.99 unpainted. Matt and I agree a 1/10th scale pilot is best suited (model scale is quoted at 1/9 but its actually 1/9.4 and a slightly small pilot is more ideal than a slightly big one!)

As for the exhausts, the part definition for your order is Hurricane type, 110mm in length - a printed pair of Merlin bifurcated exhausts retails at £15. You can see both in place on the model below.

prototype 3.jpg

The parts themselves viewed a bit closer after a lick of paint.

rmp parts.jpg

If you are keen to purchase these items then get in touch with Sean at RMP - he's ready to hear from you!!

**LINK** email [email protected]. or phone 0194 981982

Thanks for the update on build notes, Phil.

Count me in for the build .

Has anyone seen the 'Plane Resurrection' series on Netflix? It features the restoration of 6 old planes, including a Hurricane from the Battle of Britain. I'm new to Netflix, so everyone may have seen this series already!

One of these features a scratch built Fokker DR-1 covered in ....OraTex. Again, news to me but others may be aware of its use for full-size models!

Edited By Steve Houghton on 28/02/2018 23:10:03

Edited By Steve Houghton on 28/02/2018 23:16:43

Hi Steve,

The fuselage formers F8 and F9 are indeed flat along their base edge, to aid assembly, however with the lower, rear sheeting fitted and shaped the final fuselage section does correctly form the angled 'hull' as per the full-size.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 01/03/2018 15:26:30

Thanks Phil

So during assembly the fuselage vertical datum is dictated by F8 & F9 and the fuselage structure is built up with F8 & F9 "flat bottoms"seated on the bench.

(That's what i was hoping to read / hear!)

Edited By Steve Lechner on 01/03/2018 15:44:18

Edited By Steve Lechner on 01/03/2018 15:45:16

Edited By Steve Lechner on 01/03/2018 15:46:25

Hmmm.

Don't need another PSS model, Would prefer a bigger Hurri with a lovely 4 stroke in it and with so many projects on the go time is very scarce.

But I find myself placing an order for a plan and plastic from Sarik and looking forward to joining in with you all again! The level of skill and detail from these PSS mass builds is simply inspiring and addictive.

C'mon postie. I want to get started! surprise

Steve,

F8 and F9 will actually sit slightly raised off the bench within the fuselage sides - which are intentionally over-sized as supplied. The formers height is governed by the position of the 1/8" x 1/2" fuselage stringer doubler running front to back. This acts as the datum for so much of the fuselage build. Once the tail is pulled in at the fin post along the centreline, F8 and F9 are then added, then the 3/4" triangular section is added to sit into the corner recesses of F8 and F9, and the hole rear fuselage base is then sanded back in profile to the bottom edge of the formers... creating the curve as shown on sheet 1 of the plan. Finally the bottom sheeting is added and that part of the build journey is effectively complete!

Mark - any chance of a photo or two of the parts as received - I've not got mine yet! Would love to hear your first thoughts on the parts and the plan!

Just thought I'd place a few pics of the Sarik woodpack and vac-forms to give you an idea of the quality of materials we will be dealing with on the Hurricane build. My pack arrived earlier in the week, but working away from home has only allowed me to open the box today!

The SET package arrived well boxed and included the 2 sheet plan, neatly folded.

There's over 65 pre-formed pieces in the woodpack, across 19 sheets of balsa, lite ply or ply. All the cutting lines are clean and precise, the balsa selection looks good (we should be weight conscious at the tail) and to aid ID each sheet is laser etched with sheet # and part description.

hurricane laser pack.jpg

A close up of some of the 1/8" balsa wing ribs showing the quality of Sarik's laser cutting and part etching. thumbs up

hurricane laser pack 2.jpg

As well as the pre-formed wooden parts, the SET also gets you a vac-formed canopy and spinner. The canopy is nice and clear and includes the classic Hurricane framework slightly raised. My canopy was a little warped along its length, a side effect of how it was packaged I think, but this was easy to correct and it will fit the model perfectly once trimmed to size. The spinner is quite robust, formed in white with a clear cutting guide towards its base.

hurricane vacforms.jpg

Thanks Steven,

Our intention will be to fly with these features attached to recreate the illusion of scale! Chris' method allows them to be 'knock-off-able' on landing whilst retaining them to the airframe so they don't get lost in the heather - I'm sure he'll come good on his promise for a photo or two very soon!

Yup, stretchy tether too for those slightly nose down arrivals! lol

Tidying the shed now and will be making a short build blog for the canons but with a Durafly Me 163 Comet pitot tube today or tomorrow.

Very similar to the building tip above but with a short strip of rubber band recessed to the underside of both parts. When they get knocked off they stay attached and just stretch the rubber. They also have an amusing "re-load" feature where by just dropping the nose of the model the guns snap back in place ready for flight!

As promised, please find below a list of ADDITIONAL MATERIALS you'll need to purchase beyond the Sarik Woodpack...

All Material is 36" long - ideal density as listed;

Wing

L/E STRIP material – ½” x ¼” balsa – Medium - 2-OFF

Sub L/E STRIP material – 3/8” x 1/8” balsa – Medium – 2-OFF

Spars – ¼” x 1/8” spruce – 4-OFF

Sub T/E STRIP material – 1/8” x ¼” balsa – Medium – 2-OFF

Aileron Stock - 1 1/2” x 1/2” balsa T/E stock – Medium – 2-OFF

Top and Bottom wing skins SHEET – 1/16” x 4” balsa - Soft – 12-OFF

Servo bay SHEET – 1/8” x 4” balsa – Soft – 1-OFF

Wing Dowel – hardwood - 6mm dia – 6” length

Aileron torque rod pair 3mm gauge

Fuselage