Gear channel not available when dual ailerons plus flaps selected

Adrian Hazeldine

I've been trying to setup a new model and have run into a programming issue and want to see if anyone else has seen this:

Transmitter is a DX9 and I have seen this issue on Airware 1.11 and 1.20

I created a new model on the tx with model type as fixed wing and wing type as dual aileron plus single flap. The gear channel is then unavailable. When I go into 'channel assign' - channel 5 Gear is set to flap and there is no way to change this (or any other channel) to gear.

If I change the wing type to single aileron and single flap, then the gear channel is available as normal.

Has anyone else seen this and am I doing something wrong?

Advert

I have a DX9. On my spitty and mustang I have flaps, dual aileron and retracts. I have dual aileron on wing type, the flaps on aux 2 or 3 assigned to the three pos switch so I have landing and take off flaps the retracts is on the normal channel. I also slow the movement of the flaps so they only operate slowly, this helps any change when deploying flaps.

Glenn

I've had this. Think what I did is just do dual aileron, but not flaps, but set flaps up separately, using the channel select function and select the switch you want to use.

Seems when you select Flap in the setup, the gear channel doesn't work as gear, or allow you to do that.

Hi Adrian

You didn't mention your Rx, but presumably you have enough channels.

The setup with flap assigned to gear channel isn't really a bug. It's been the way of this sort of programming for many years and is what, unaccountably to me, drives the open tx brigade to spitting tacks. Being a simple-minded soul, I've always found it normal and acceptable. Just think channel numbers instead of names. So the gear channel is really channel 5 and aux 1 is channel 6. So you have channel 2 as right ail, channel 6 as left ail, and channel 5 as flap. The channel to operate the gear must now be chosen from the channels that remain assigned to their original switch/slider/knob, ie aux2 (ch7), aux3 (ch8), aux4 (ch9).

On the first channel assign screen leave all the port assignments untouched, and then progress to the next screen. On this second screen you re-assign switches/sliders etc to control the appropriate Rx output channels (or ports as they call them). I use the 2-position switch A for controlling the gear, and this switch can be assigned to Ax2 (ch7), Ax3 (ch8) or Ax4 (ch9) as you wish. Roll the cursor over the switch ident adjacent to, say, 7 Aux2, and click and then rotate the roller to choose switch A.

For the flaps, I use the 3-position switch D. So I go into the flap system, choose switch D, and set up the appropriate percentage movement against each switch position 0, 1, 2.

Hope this helps

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Yes - plenty of channels on the rx thanks.

You're right - if I just consider the channels in numeric order then it really doesn't make any difference to what goes where and I've now set up the model with gear on Aux2. There's just something irritating about the fact that there is a slot on the rx marked 'gear' that I can't plug the retracts into...

But.... Life is too short and it works by another means so nothing lost!

Hope to see you down at the field soon !

cheers,

Adrian

First thing you should do after picking a advance wing type is to take a look at the monitor, there you can see where to plug in the servos.

And this will change if you pick more ailerons and flaps, and also glider type with more ailerons and flaps and motor..

Cheers

Soren

Edited By Speedster on 30/03/2018 21:47:05

Posted by Steve J on 31/03/2018 08:44:05:
Posted by Adrian Hazeldine on 30/03/2018 20:15:22:

There's just something irritating about the fact that there is a slot on the rx marked 'gear' that I can't plug the retracts into...

If it's bugging you, go into Channel Assign and move things around.

Steve

Steve, in Adrian's first post he was noting that if you select dual flaps, you can't assign gear to channel 5 which is marked Gear on the Rx. He was just wondering if he'd done anything wrong or if it was a bug/feature when selecting dual flaps.

Hi Adrian

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the field too, sans wellies!

Ref Rx channel labels, if I remember correctly, my first propo radio, a Futaba Digimax 4, simply had an unlabelled block connector that you plugged the four 5-wire servos into. So until you got used to the channel order on the block, a bit of trial and error was needed to connect the servos to their correct Rx outputs. I also have a feeling that when eventually 3-wire servos came along plugged directly into Rx sockets, the sockets were again unlabelled, or maybe had just numbers. You soon got used to the channel order being throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder on 4-channel sets, and when 5th and 6th channels eventually arrived, they were gear (2-pos switch) and flap (slider on side of Tx case) in that order. All pre-computer so no reassignment possible, or even needed I suppose. Back in those really early days of propo, if you wanted dual rates on aileron and elevator, you fitted a couple of mini toggle switches onto the Tx and wired in the appropriate bunch of resistors and pots using the circuit published in RCME. No servo reversing, though, and there probably wasn't room on the Tx case for a rudder dual rate switch!

Happy days!

Gordon

• 2 years later...

I am having this issue all of a sudden, has anyone solved this issue ? I can see lots of “fudges” to fix it, but using the flaps as “flaps” is preferable due to the easy mixing you get in the Tx.. I set it up as 1 aileron - 1 flap , which means you get all you would expect and gear is gear, and then set AUX 2 to “Aileron” which gives you the extra aileron control, but it “still ( in 2020 ) “ seems to be an issue...

had anyone figured out why this is the case ?