Odd servo fault

I was just checking control surfaces travel in the right direction and noticed that the Hi-tec HS65HB on the throttle would occasionally "stick" in one position until the TX stick was returned to full down position (the clevis to the cab is disconnected, so only the driving its own arm).

The other thing was that if I repeatedly move the TX stick from one extreme to the other then the servo would follow suit for about 7 cycles and then not travel the full arm distance. if I leave it a couple of seconds it will travel full movement.

Other servos are all okay and the RX is off its own UBEC for info

I'll try a different servo on the RX throttle channel and look to bin the servo.

Just like to gather opinion from the great and good that its the servo?

Advert

I'll second Mike here totally.

At least strip it, even just to have a look inside and probably 'learn' something.

Beside getting a spare set of bearings, gears and screws, the PCB makes a perfect home made switch.

Just desolder the pot - mostly 1500ohm - and replace it by 2 resistors of half the value - ie 750ohm in this case. Eventually a drop of epoxy to protect the soldering together with a piece of heat shrink insulation and you obtain a nice switch when connected to any open channel of your Rx. Simples & free.

Cheers

Chris

In ye olden days of aerobatics (70`s) it was common to service the servos every few weeks due to the prohibitive cost of new ones. We would unscrew the motor end plate and clean the commutator, then disassemble, clean and lubricate the pot. Not suggesting that you try that now since they are as cheap as chips comparatively.

HiTech use a horse shoe shaped piece of phosphor bronze to connect to the pot. centre. If this gets dirty or loose it usually means that the servo runs to one end and burns out. Not had that actually happen on a HiTech (which I use a lot) but on some cheaper copycat types such as Tower Pro (maybe copies of these) it is quite common.

Also found that with some types of Tower Pro that if you stop the servo manually or with a heavy load it will only restart when the Tx stick is moved in the opposite direction, similar to the O.P.`s problem. Perhaps your servos are not genuine ones?

Anyway, just keep it for spare gears.