What has happened to Spring!!!

Rocker

Advert

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 02/04/2018 17:21:33:

The climate here in South East Wales seems to have morphed into three months of Winter and nine months of bad weather. 😋

That is very true Dai Fledermaus. I'm South East Wales as wellsmiley. I keep weather watching, either to windy or to wet or both and when it's accceptable I cant get to the fieldcrying. I have a DLG glider ordered ready for those calm warm summer evenings. A bit optimistic I think!

I've flown one day so far this year. ONE DAY! :'(

The weather is really getting me down, as the rain is very bad for my asthma, and I have been very ill since about Christmas. Also means I've not been out on my bike, though I did at least manage that today.

Thoroughly depressing. It's only reading lots of RC & aviation books which is keeping me going.

Managed 2 flying days so far which would have gone better if I'd had floats instead of wheels ..... but hey I bought a Roku for my workshop TV and can watch model flying on youtube while staying warm and dry as I build my next project !

Posted by Chris Walby on 02/04/2018 21:53:24:

Nearly worth a new tread, so what flies well in very poor conditions?

For me its a 4-Max Yeti which is low cost, pusher that's almost an indestructible flying delta and hides I the back of the car just weighting for the day I would not dare fly anything else!

Ducks, Quack Quack.

Spring is doing what it usually does here - starting cold...

Mind you my log says I've been to the field 10 times for 4.5 hours total flying this year - seems OK so far.

TJ sorry to hear about the asthma, our eldest lad's eczema is terrible in this weather.

It's not so much the cold that puts paid to my winter flying, but rather the waterlogged conditions that exist on my nearby flying sites. Had an email from my local club over the weekend saying that it would be floatplanes only at one site i.e no flying at the moment. The other site's car parking gets impossibly muddy and churned up, so for me at least, I'll pass on that one too.

I just don't relish an hour or so flying and then a couple of hours cleaning models, self, car and then hosing the driveway down. If your club has hard standing for cars and a hard runway to fly from, I envy you.......

Posted by Cuban8 on 03/04/2018 12:10:34:

It's not so much the cold that puts paid to my winter flying, but rather the waterlogged conditions that exist on my nearby flying sites. Had an email from my local club over the weekend saying that it would be floatplanes only at one site i.e no flying at the moment. The other site's car parking gets impossibly muddy and churned up, so for me at least, I'll pass on that one too.

I just don't relish an hour or so flying and then a couple of hours cleaning models, self, car and then hosing the driveway down. If your club has hard standing for cars and a hard runway to fly from, I envy you.......

and that's after you've had to call the AA to tow you out of the mud! Our site parking is the same, it'll need two or three weeks of dry weather before it can be used. There's always the option of parking on the access track and carting all the gear to the flightline across a wet, muddy field, I think I'll pass on that thanks.

Ours isn't dissimilar. As many fields are like, I would guess, "a bit soft".

Flying at unpopular times (lunch hour, mostly) does mean that I can just park on the gravel access track without blocking anyone (or being blocked) with the associated kerfuffle when rearranging. I might change my tune if I only flew Sundays!

Wanna swap?

It’s as hot as Hades where I am at the moment 40+ Celsius for the last few days, hot winds and dust storms.

It is the end of summer tho and I am in the north west of Western Australia on the edge of the desert so not unusual for this time of year.

Problem is this is also the tail end of the wet season so if it’s not hot and dusty it’s hot and humid with the chance of a cyclone.

Roll on autumn and winter I say. 😂

TP