12v charger adaptor supply

fly boy3

Advert

If you want a project you can convert a pc power supply as i have works well and this latest one i have has been going at least 7 years more proberly. also sever power supplies are good too better durability to , search on here plenty of post of how to.

coor just seen that post above thats good for 8 amps but converting a server power supply will give more wattage for less money

Those little coaxial dc plugs are far from standard. I would have referred you to Maplin to see just how many there are, mae a bit late for that. I have a charger which claims to be an IMAX B6 for field charging it must be a clone but has done sterling service over the last couple of years. I did however manage to melt the input socket on one occaission. Charging a Lipo at 5 amps would have required an input current of considerably higher current I am guessing at least 8A. A very large current for such a tiny connector. I hard wired the input lead after that. People have mentioned having croc leads are they hard wired or do they go into the unit via the little plug. My Core charger used the same sockets but is always used on mains via its internal power supply. An ill fitting or corroded plug would certainly get hot

I wonder if anyone else has had melt down, fortunately I fuse my input leads there is a bit of energy in a 110Ah leisure battery

My Eco 6-10 has hard wired i/p clips and is rated at 200W but I believe that they make smoke at about a third of that. Even though I use some high capacity batteries I rarely charge at above 1A so a 5A power supply is quite good enough.

Old PC power units are often used and will supply lots of Watts.

Those dc barrel connectors usually have a 2.1mm centre but some can be 2.5. CPC is a good cheap source of them but the quality is not great and the plating on the centre part can make soldering a bit tricky.

Refering to the original question.

If you are referring to the coaxial dc input socket such as commonly used for transmitter charging connectors.

These are specified by outer then inner dimmensions. The outer is commonly 5.5mm but the inner varies, 2.1mm and 2.5mm are the ones I see mostly. These would be specified 5.5x2.1 or 5.5x2.5 respectively.

Measuring the plug is easy, using a caliper on the outside diameter and a drill bit as a plug gauge on the bore.

The sockets I usually measure by trying first a 5.5x2.1 plug then a 5.5x2.5 plug.

As has been mentioned, we are pushing these connectors hard so the correct size is essential. You can get away trickle charging a tx with the wrong connector, they will often make sufficient contact, but a recipe for disaster when drawing higher current.