I think I've fried my RX but have I toasted the battery and servos as well?

Glad that I am at least a bit right. I looked for a spare JR three wire switch to test but they are all in models. A changeover switch is certainly break before make but a simple two pole one is not. Some wall wart chargers will supply a huge voltage when no load is applied so this was probably the problem. I very often have a pack on charge when doing prolonged setting up and would not even think twice about switching on during this process. We all learn the hard way.

I would be cheeky and send the Rx back!

Advert

Martin, I've very little experience with JR products so they may use a different type of switch to the type which are commonly supplied for Futaba and the majority of other systems. If this is the case, it might clarify things to give a quick description of the type that I'm referring to. These use sliding contact centre fed switches i.e. double pole double throw rather than simple single throw switches. The length of the sliding contact ensures that there is a break before make action. The contacts are paralleled and used to switch the positive wire.

Yes, it's good to know we're both partially right! laugh

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/04/2018 22:31:12

"A changeover switch is certainly break before make but a simple two pole one is not. "

The number of poles has nothing to do with the break-before-make action.

I would put my money on a switch that doesn't quite break, before it makes.

Edited By Nigel R on 01/05/2018 17:42:33

An update re the RX: I tried re-binding etc, but it is officially a stuffed Dodo.

Re the interesting discussion about switches, I think - for my own part at least - that the safest procedure in future would be to not touch the switch at all during charging!

This is getting interesting even if nothing to do with the OP.

Nigel, the point I was trying to make was that a simple two pole switch will connect the charge lead to the Rx. In which case it could not possibly be break before make. Clearly the OP`s switch is not of this type.

Just trying to get to the bottom of his problem which I now think has nothing to do with switching on whilst charging.

I had a Spektrum Rx suddenly die on me. One day I was flying it, the next time it was dead. New one provided by return post no questions asked. Great service.

Martin, it doesn't make any difference whether it's a two pole or single pole switch [in fact it's common practice to use a two pole with bridging jumpers soldered to make it effectively single pole]. Normal method is that all -ve wires are permanently joined by-passing the switch, the battery +ve goes to the switch centre post, the Rx +ve wire to one outer post & charger +ve to the other. So long as a break before make switch is used, as is the normal practice, the Rx +ve & charger +ve never come into contact.

Edited By PatMc on 01/05/2018 19:47:03

Hi Pat, when I said two pole it was a little misleading, I should have said single pole but with two sets of contacts in parallel in which case all three sets of +ve wires will be connected together. I used to make a few of these things for a radio manufacturer but only the normal type. Apologies.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/05/2018 19:54:30:

Not sure if you understood my earlier hypothesis: did you know if you put the charge plug in the charge port,the other way round?

Sorry Paul, yes understood and apologies for not responding to that earlier, but no didn't have the charge plug in upside down - had been charging normally for an hour or so (the charger would have otherwise beeped at me from the very start if the plug was in wrong) before I threw the power-switch on the model.

Hi Martin, I'm afraid I don't understand your description.

To avoid any misunderstanding the sketch below is how all switch harnesses, using flying leads, I've ever seen (Futaba, JR, Hitec etc) were wired. The only combined switch/charge socket I've used - a Futaba item but similar to Jonathan's JR one - had the same circuit.

chge+sw cct.jpg

I think you'll agree that it's not possible to connect the charger to the Rx so long as the switch is break before make.

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/05/2018 23:01:21:

It would be interesting to test it to see if it works as per the more common type. Maybe Nigel R's money is feeling a little more secure?

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the usual double pole switch converted to single pole & the action of one side slightly lagging the other - effectively making SP it make before break.

I missed a few posts somehow before my previous post but that arrangement is what I was attempting to describe (with the irrelevant in this context paralleled contacts). It's nice to be in agreement and perhaps we've been at cross purposes somewhere along the way? I thought you said that it was possible to connect the charger to the Rx with a normal switch.

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/05/2018 00:41:13

I think we're having a terminology mix up.

Martin M. means (I believe) a single throw switch (not single pole).

That would leave battery permanently connected to charge jack, and switch in/out the RX to both of them at the same time.