The Ohmen

Also

Just doing a dry fit with the motor mounted and the tail parts in place and the CofG is spot on which has got me really worried as I don't have a battery fitted as yet..?

Guess I will be having to add some extra weight into the tail when I go to fit it out with the electrics or perhaps a smaller battery.?

img_20190807_171838.jpg

Advert

You might only need 1 cutout for both servo leads. The leads can be inserted by first putting something like 'snake' inner through the middle hole with thin string attached and getting the string into the servo area, then pulling the string back with the servo lead ( or extension lead) attached.

The covering material, undercarriage, tailskid, clevis etc might all affect the balance when installed so it's too early to tell, but provision for several positions for battery is a good idea. But if needed just a tiny bit of lead at the tail can adjust due to the leverage.

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your positive feedback.

The only mistake I made was with the undercarriage so had to peel off the film and cutaway into the fuselage to fit some extra ply mounts. For most of my build it always seems to be the undercarriage that creates the most grief. I couldnt even find the right wire so ended up picking some up at the local scrap metal yard and when I went to purchase the rods he wasnt sure if they were aluminium or magnesium. I guess if they are magnesium and if it should go down in flames then it should be quite visible ha ha.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Trevor, I found that before I modified the rudder angle it pushed the tail up, especially noticeable if a lot of rudder was needed for a crosswind take off. Do not really wish to criticise the design because it looks and generally flies pretty good.

A bit off piste but I originally gained a B about forty years ago in order to enter competitions. After an enforced lay off I joined another club and they accepted that I had a B, but I had lost the certificate. The BMFA, as the SMAE now is, could find no record of me whatsoever, so on a day when a couple of B tests were being run I volunteered to do it again. It was windy and to the surprise of the examiners elected to use a very light OS 20 powered funfly. Worse than taking your driving test again.

Feel perfectly free to criticise the design. If something improves the handling everyone should benefit from the added knowledge.

Alisdair Sutherland once oonted out that where the rudder is completley behind the elevatror Knife edge flight is much easier.

I stil forget to incorporate that in my designs.