The Ohmen

I can only quote the way I have set mine up, it depends on whether you prefer nasty twitchy or nice and smooth. A club mate bought a reasonably fancy Spekky set but has never used rates or expo! `Don`t like expo, never tried it`.

Here we go-

lo                              hi                 expo

ele   up 10mm dn15      up 15 dn18    lo 30     hi 40

rud   30                         40                      30        40

ail     9                 5        12          7           40        55

Hope that makes sense. Your Jeti gear should easily cope with it.

3 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I can only quote the way I have set mine up, it depends on whether you prefer nasty twitchy or nice and smooth. A club mate bought a reasonably fancy Spekky set but has never used rates or expo! `Don`t like expo, never tried it`.

Here we go-

lo                              hi                 expo

ele   up 10mm dn15      up 15 dn18    lo 30     hi 40

rud   30                         40                      30        40

ail     9                 5        12          7           40        55

Hope that makes sense. Your Jeti gear should easily cope with it.

Thanks Martin. 
That will do! I like smooth aerobatics with jets and wild aerobatics with props, so this is great. 
I like to get everything out of my radio, so I love expo and mixers as well. 😜

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter!

Just to inform you I made 6 uneventful flights with the Ohmen today. 
CG was spot on for my taste of flying (almost no down stick required during inverted) and the settings of Martin were almost perfect as well. Some very minor different settings I have made like more throw of Rudder in the low rate mode so I can maintain knife edge easier. The rudder authority was enough to hold the model in to this position without loosing altitude. I needed a knife edge mixer though to “lock” the model. 
The OS FS26 with an APC 10x5 has more then enough power to make big loops and power to weight is almost 1:1. The speed with prop “suites” the model very well although I am gonna try a 9x6. 
After 3 flight I already made rolling circels and rolling loops. For landing I use crow/butterfly to have high Alfa attitude for nice 3 point landings. 
By the way, one of the easiest models to  take-off and lands. 
So thanks Peter for this great model! 

11C42A6F-CCD8-4B19-82C0-1D410B143203.jpeg

4F0EBE79-D1C9-4590-A979-00AAA9C7224D.jpeg

7606C5C5-8F92-479B-AEA7-F6C5961BB238.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you Didier.  I am so glad that you are so happy with here She is one of the best models that I have flown for fun aerobatics and  is my favourite but you have taken far further than I have ever done.

I must say that I have never managed rolling circles or rolling loops and you certainly have taken her far beyond anything that I have done but I have done  lomcevacs with mine.

9 hours ago, Didier said:

peter, I will make a video of the model. 
what is also very nice is flying 1/3 of the throttle and fly within 100 meters above the field. The model does not want to snap out.

Didier

Thanks.I  would love to see it. 

Mine is getting rather "war weary" but still keeps flying. If it stopped I would have to build a new one at once.

• 3 weeks later...

THat was fabulous to watch!!! It is how I like to fly mine. You  really know how to fly her.

I am so glad that you enjoyed her as much as I enjoy mine.

You know sometimes a model is just that much better than the rest. There is no magic formula that I can name but it just is that little bit more magical than others.

Mine is over five years old and is still flown more than any of my other designs and you have just shown why!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

THat was fabulous to watch!!! It is how I like to fly mine. You  really know how to fly her.

I am so glad that you enjoyed her as much as I enjoy mine.

You know sometimes a model is just that much better than the rest. There is no magic formula that I can name but it just is that little bit more magical than others.

Mine is over five years old and is still flown more than any of my other designs and you have just shown why!!!

Yeah I like it very much. I also added wingtip lights and strobe for the sunset evenings. 😃

16 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

26 flies it well, nice flight Didier. 👍

Yes! I expected it was a marginal with the 26 but I was really surprised I have so much power left. Even a “power hungry” manoeuvre like the rolling loop is easily done. 

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

Why is no tank pressure better for the bearings?

As exhaust gas contains acids. You put acids back in to the fueltank. Acids comes back in your fuel system and reached the bearings. This creates rusty bearings. Without the fuel pressure of course you still have to use “after run management “. 

10 hours ago, Didier said:

No, I run without tank pressure. Better for the bearings. What do you mean with rich tick over?

Thanks, I concur with your view that tank pressure is not required. On my inverted OS 26FS, with tank pressure and the tank about level with the carb, if the idle was left for 20 seconds or so, it would start to pool up and eventually quit after about 30 seconds. Taking off the tank pressure helped with this. So I was just wondering, that is all. Nice model and nice flying BTW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Open the idle bleed hole by gradually undoing the screw, compensate for the increase in revs by closing the throttle a bit more. Basic idle tuning.

Thanks Martin, but I am an old hand at this. Leaning it on the airbleed results in a throttle down lean cut. I spent 30mins, getting to the optimum I could get, but resulted in removing the pressure and lowering the tank a little. All good