TRASHED

Advert

I've deleted a post for using language which is unacceptable on this forum.

I suspect any blame should lay with the council which seems to to have sanctioned this without much thought as to the consequences, rather than the showmen?

Pete

Hi Pete B. Tend to agree with you but the council lease the funfair field to a third party who runs the local on-site cafe and that’s the problem because as you say the council would not allow this to happen hence the comment “greed & profit”. Sorry to hear someone got upset as I only posted this to get general opinions not to cause an unacceptable use of language...

Sorry to see this Peter. It's always a shame when some individuals act with complete disregard for the impact their actions are having on others.

But give the high energy levels in your club I'm sure you'll soon have it right again. The trick is going to be stopping the council from giving this lot permission again.

BEB

Hi Biggles / Wilco. No offence taken and trying to get the council to stop further bookings will be very difficult because they have passed all responsibility to the leaseholder who runs the site on their behalf and to get the council to give them a prod is like trying to get blood from a stone. We had to jump through hoops before we could put on our events but I bet no such paperwork is produced to have the funfair and circus on the site. This current lot will just pull off and go to the next site and leave us to clear up their mess so we can have access then along will come the circus and we go through this all again. Councils aren’t what they used to be as they haven’t got the staff anymore... if anyone has any ideas how we can change this for the future I would be very pleased to hear from them...

Our club rents our flying field direct from the council but everything else is controlled by the leaseholder who also runs the cafe. The “event field” which is now only used for the funfair and circus is the area we have to cross for access to our flying field and parking - Sadly for all of you who came to our Flying Spectacular events (which was held for eight years using this field for only the camping) is now no more as the fees to rent this event field just kept going up and up till this year we have had no choice but stop our free admission event. It’s all down to greed and profit as we make nothing from the event - for each year its cost our club members a lot to subsidise this free event but it was finally killed off by the increased costs to hire the events field... lots of top U.K. pilots were gutted to lose the event as they came and supported the event because they enjoyed it... Sad

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 06/05/2018 09:37:02:

It’s a good idea but I doubt it would help as the leaseholder runs the site on behalf of the council - we have sent photos to the latter but I fear nothing will be done as the situation just repeats every time...

It's the sort of thing that they have experience of & will know the best course of action to take. You certainly have nothing to lose by contacting them - it's an important part of the service they provide to memebers.

Perhaps having a word with the BMFA would help - could do no harm as I feel we are due a duty of care to have access to our flying field which we have had for over 30 years...🤔 we had loads of visitors come to our event and last year was fantastic and the fireworks and light show was chock a block in the evening - and all for free. Sad what greed and profit does which is why it’s so rare nowadays...

414288c3-2215-4267-903a-76d1b11de9fd.jpegGoing to go over to the field today and taking an old trolley borrowed from a neighbour with some old bits of wood cut so I can get me fuel and tool box on - maybe a plane on the top (suspect will have go back for them) I want to run up the new Albatros engine and range check the model. Also will take the Cougar over as it might fit on top of my trolly!

The leaseholder may run the event for the council but I am quite sure that there are strict clauses in the lease that requires the leaseholder to take 'reasonable care' of the land and to make good any damage that may be caused by their activities. You need a copy of the lease. Have you contacted the Council and made them aware of the damage caused to the surface of the access (with photographs) to their land by the fun fair? They may not be aware of it and also might be reluctant to grant permission for a future event. Contacting the relevant Parish council may be worth considering too as they do generally have the time to kick up a stink if things are not put right. Even if the land was privately owned planning consent would be required to host an event like this so the leaseholder would definitely require it and stipulations would apply, like clearing up afterwards.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 06/05/2018 12:02:44:

The leaseholder may run the event for the council but I am quite sure that there are strict clauses in the lease that requires the leaseholder to take 'reasonable care' of the land and to make good any damage that may be caused by their activities. You need a copy of the lease. Have you contacted the Council and made them aware of the damage caused to the surface of the access (with photographs) to their land by the fun fair? They may not be aware of it and also might be reluctant to grant permission for a future event. Contacting the relevant Parish council may be worth considering too as they do generally have the time to kick up a stink if things are not put right. Even if the land was privately owned planning consent would be required to host an event like this so the leaseholder would definitely require it and stipulations would apply, like clearing up afterwards.

Those are exactly the sort of areas that the BMFA have the expertise and experience in dealing with. .

Thanks for the advice and we will see how the council reacts to the little video and what action they take to get the leaseholder to make good the damage done. Today (Sunday) we managed to get over to our flying field as the funfair had removed the orange screen and laid tracking over the mud so we could gain access- this was done by them and not the council as the latter aren’t back till Tuesday. The funfair guy said they had been digging trenches to drain off the mud so they could get out on Tuesday so it’s not being done for us but for them. Let’s see what we end up with and if the council take any action against the leaseholder...

Good to hear that you were able to get on the field yesterday, Peter, although hopefully the council will come up with a more permanent solution.

If forumites wish to continue the discussion, please stick to this particular incident - it's getting a bit tedious moderating comments airing the prejudices of some.....face 11

Pete

Apply for a refund to the council from the rent fees you have to pay for the days you were unable to gain entry to your field and the repairs to the gate and path route to the patch when the Funfair has gone.

Edited By trebor on 07/05/2018 11:13:09

Edited By trebor on 07/05/2018 11:13:48

Hi Pete B. I think I have had some good advice here and at least we were able to get onto our flying field with some help from the funfair guys who laid down some wood 8x4 sheets for us to drive over the mud. We have been told by the leaseholder that the damage would be made good which is fair and the council were also informed. I think it’s just been bad timing with the weather together with the funfair who had nowhere else to go anyway. Sorry to hear you have had your hands full moderating this thread and I would be happy if it’s closed to save further pontification! Thanks to all who contributed. Regards Peter

That sounds like a result, Peter.....smile

We only lock threads if we feel it necessary and I think we're a long way from needing to do that. All we ask is that folk consider how the content of their posts may appear to others, ta!

Pete