How to pass the time when charging Lipos?

The Wright Stuff

What do you do at home while waiting for your LiPos to charge?

Just curious as to if anyone has found a truly worthwhile use of the time it takes for LiPos to charge. Now, I know they are not to be left unattended, which I suppose requires a better definition of 'attended'. I doubt that we all hover over them, staring at them intently for the entire duration of the charge cycle. So being in the same room (within audible range and within a few seconds of being able to switch them off) suffices, I assume.

I'm not currently lucky enough to have a model build on the go, and I don't do ironing!

Suggestions, serious or fun, gratefully accepted here!!!

Advert

Because I charge them on a kitchen worktop I don't leave them unattended, I generally do a bit of tinkering or plastic kit production.

What I have found myself doing is to take a long hard look at a particular model and check all the little details that even normal maintenance would not pick up.

However, to minimise this time I have this setup which works a treat.

p1050387.jpg

I'm either building/maintaining/repairing models or I browse the 'net (here quite often) because I charge in my workshop cum study where most of my technical books are and where my PC is. I spend most of the time in here anyway and, as it's an extension I built and opening off the lounge (and outside) I'm not far from my wife either.

I'm not charging right now but I'm waiting for some glue to go off and I'm watching today's stage of the Giro d'Italia which finishes on Mt Etna.  Just 40km to go and the best part ... the climb.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 10/05/2018 14:55:50

Unattended? I charge mine on top of a solid fuel boiler. It's a fireproofed corner of the house. I'm always somewhat close by, although I might not class them as 'attended'. An extinguisher is available, even if it will be useless on the lipos. Several flavours of smoke alarm are installed on account of the boiler.

I have heard tales of 'attended' but on a car seat for instance = useless in terms of safety (the car was mostly destroyed with driver getting out ok). Alternatively, in a garage, unattended, with the entire garage being lost.

In other news:

Beer is delicious, I'm told.

Edited By Nigel R on 10/05/2018 14:59:49

I have three chargers but everytime I set them up to charge while doing something on a model or reading a mag, one or another of the batteries reach full charge and I have to stop to change the battery. Just get back to what I was doing and another battery reaches full and I stop yet again. Usually while I am doing something fiddly that requires concentration!!

John

Bit worried that nobody so far has said reading or writing Modelflying threads!

I charge batteries in the garage by the up and over door which is left slightly open and on an extension lead that can be unplugged 10 ft away from the charger. If not working in the garage / workshop they get checked to for progress and temp every 10 or so mins. As others have said, good excuse for a detailed check of clevises, bolts, hinges etc and a clean.

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 11/05/2018 13:01:00

Posted by Richard Ashworth on 11/05/2018 12:59:50:

Bit worried that nobody so far has said reading or writing Modelflying threads!

I would worry that reading or writing Modelflying threads would be an extremely irresponsible thing to do while charging batteries. It's far too addictive - I think the house would burn down around me before I noticed!

wink

I wont charge mine indoors now, I was sat next to the charger when one went off, left the room in a mess after I tried to chuck flaming battery out the window frown 2 feet of flame came out and scorched the wall.

Edited By trebor on 11/05/2018 19:03:50

And if anything goes wrong when LiPos are charging what can you do? Not much, apart from disconnecting from the charger, and if you're brave/foolhardy enough carry the battery in the charging bag far far away.

Last week I had a LiPo self immolate, a 3S 3000 - hissed, went bang and then burned quite vigorously.

But no collateral damage - I always charge outdoors, on a pensioned-off steel instrument trolley, in the garden using an extension cable and at least 15 feet from anything flammable.

At the request from SWMBO - I NEVER charge indoors. Why are they always ( even if it takes a long time ) right ! ?