Hawker Hurricane MK1

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Well I've pushed on a little further with the Hurricane. Fuselage now nearly to shape - sits in my cardboard templates fairly well, little more to do then sand to a fine finish. I am using a combination of : templates / 1:72 airfix kit / the plan and a few photos to help achieve the shape.

img_20180615_125830762_hdr.jpg

With the wings - I have fitted the ply wing joiners and gone for the same method as Phil, the ply is trimmed to sit underside of the top skin. I have also butchered carefully cut into the wing leading edges to accomodate lights, I added a sub rib back to the main spar creating a box effect, I also talked myself into fitting wing tip lights ( fitting lighting to a glider is a first for me!).

img_20180621_211143313.jpg

Next job was to start making up wing and centre panel top skins, here they are just laid on the waiting sections.

img_20180622_233157915.jpg

I have been carefully cutting down the spinner to size, using the plan to obtain the shape I made up a ply cruciform from some of the spare lightply in the kit. Hopefully F1a will sit on this and the fuselage front when all is trimmed up.

img_20180621_210801498.jpg

In addition I have been thinking about which particular Hurricane to model and now think I am homed in. I'm going for the last Hurricane built - but I am going to use the scheme when she was registered as a civilian aircraft and used in Kings Cup air races in the 1950's. In this guise the aircraft was predominantly Royal Blue with gold trim/markings. A little like the image below. Clearly as the last Hurricane its not a mk1 but a 2C! The main visual changes on this aircraft were- at some point during its racing life the exhausts were changed to six port from three and the large aerial was removed.

hsgs9967box-lg.jpg

Blimey it seems that everybody is doing llights! Mine is going to be very sub-standard. At this rate, I shall be in the pub on my own whilst you're all flying around in the dark!

Nice choice of scheme Harry. I didn't know that one existed. Are you going to do it in glass cloth again?

What are you thinking/planning about skin joints between the wing panels. If you're planning to glass it, then I suppose that will create extra strength. But is 25gsm enough?

Posted by Trevor on 02/06/2018 09:24:08:
Posted by Harry Twist on 02/06/2018 00:35:32:

I thought the photo below was great - so decided to share!

I SEE THE FIN COCKADES ARE ALL DIFFERENT> Any ideas? John O/T

26d984d14a3ae7cb7cab1c5083ebf82f.jpg

Beautiful! I couldn't help but notice how the 'fit' of the spinner varies on those three aircraft. Maybe best not to replicate the gap on a PSS model though!

Looking good Harry. All blue will be a lot easier than camouflage, that's for sure.

I note your idea of putting some ply inside the nose cone - good idea. I had planned to put some lead weight inside with a bolt in the form of discs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to put lead weight?

Hi All,

Steve - yes planning glass cloth 25g/sqm an then paint. Ref the wing joint I have filled in the gap between spars with 3mm sheet for the bays in the centre panel (R2R3) and the wing panel (R3R4) involved in the join, also trimmed the ply to sit under the top skin. Before I finally commit to the wing panel/centre panel join I will make efforts to ensure a good rib to rib joint whilst trying to achieve the required dihedral also. I'm a step off this yet since I still need to apply topskin/ add washout to the wing panels.

Peter, I'm not sure that the ply cruciform actually does that much apart from giving a little comfort! If you get a good fit of F1A into the plastic spinner - it seems to totally "rigidise" the spinner ( is rigidise a word?) so it may not need further support. I just felt that a bit more contact between the former and the spinner would be useful and the cruciform seemed easiest. I have since blocked in the four quadrants with blue foam, it now needs sanding to profile and locating inside the spinner.

Edited By Harry Twist on 25/06/2018 00:11:54

Pete: Not sure much - if any - lead is needed in the nose on these. Maybe a quick check with Matt?

Harry: I like the cruciform, I was just going to use a back plate, but I shall be stealing that idea laugh Great progress too yes

Steve: Structurally, I am sure there is no need for extra bandage on the join in wing panels. The best bond possible will have been made with the ply joiner web, binding both top and bottom spars together on both panels across the joint.

Edited By Andy Meade on 25/06/2018 08:58:28

That picture depicting the spinner fit is a little misleading. Certain mk's, (probably more likely the prop type dictated) had an oil collector ring, to er.... collect oil from the variable pitch prop, that might otherwise drip back on to the windshield.

This Britmodeller site has some good information on the spinners and props used on Hurricanes. Including a nice picture showing the longer nose length of the MkII over the MkI

Cheers

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress on the Hurri - the wings are now fully skinned, joined and the required dihedral set. I need to do a little rectification of the joint on the underside but overall I'm reasonably happy with the result so far.

Now onto adding leading edges and preparing the trailing edges for the torque rods and aileron fit. Ive also painted up the pilot and started to block in the cockpit floor area.

Wings skinned, joined and outer leading edges added

img_20180712_224154497.jpg

Pilot patiently awaiting completion of his cockpit!

img_20180712_224352533.jpg

Posted by James Thomas 2 on 25/06/2018 09:11:11:

What Nationality is the one with blue Spinner? Never seen that fin flash before...

South East Asia Command. I believe that they removed the red from the standard roundel so that aircraft could not be mistaken for a Japanese aircraft which were marked with a red disc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Thought I should update my Hurricane build. Ive been away for a few days and also seem to have a terribly slow internet connection at home just now.

To the Hurri - some of the scale bits have taken a little longer than planned - but have been good fun!

Ive 3D printed the exhaust stacks- 6 port rather than 3 - (before the scale police dive in - in this aircraft sometime in the early 1950's a six port exhaust was fitted). Finished the underslung radiator - at the moment I"m going for mini magnets (x5 top and bottom) to hold it in place. Fitted the tail strake and played around with a method to add some rib detail to the fin and tailplane ( thanks to Bob J for the idea shared at the Lleyn!).

Tried a a dry fit - all held together with blu tac and painters tape at the moment! Next jobs - tailplane actuator and wing fillets. Slowly coming together... I think!

Some photos below:

img_20180731_210132826.jpg

img_20180731_105730689.jpg

img_20180713_234725549.jpg

img_20180730_113354311.jpg

Edited By Harry Twist on 01/08/2018 18:41:55

• 3 weeks later...

I've been moving the Hurricane along a little more, being away for a few days has slowed up proceedings but I did get to visit the BBMF at Coningsby whilst away so that was a bonus!

Following all the discussion around nose weight additions, I have done a similar modification to the one done by Phil and added a hardwood core and a nut and bolt to the front fuselage.

img_20180818_102553537.jpg

Once complete I had this effect, its a 6mm diameter bolt cut down to around 50mm total length.img_20180818_115939294.jpg

Also got down to the first glassing of the accessory parts, mainly the tail feathers and the underslung pieces. The rib effect on the fin and tailplane remains prominent under the glass.

img_20180820_220726459.jpg

Pushed onto glassing the fuselage but not quite finished yet. The fuselage needed more work pre-glassing than I thought it needed (especially around the wing root fillets where I had gone overboard with filler).

I can tell time is tight - my workshop is even more cluttered than usual!img_20180821_194425437.jpg

Thanks Harry good to know. I'm never sure on the best way to transition between glassed areas and "plain" wood. I'll have a try of your method I think.

PS - off topic. I found a copy of the Halifax book you recommended. When I get time to sit down and read (after the Hurricane is done!) I'll enjoy getting stuck into that - thanks for mentioning it.