Can still climb tree's

Robert Edney

First flight went horribly wrong? Seemed to climb ok then went right and it was all over in a few seconds and she was stuck in the top of a very tall holly tree.

so i got a good upper body work out and after a few hours we got it down, any idea why it would want to dive to the right, for the start it was good and I thought it was going to be ok and then like I said it just dived to the right and it was all overimg_20180513_175728.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/05/2018 20:11:37

Advert

I'm afraid there are lots of possible reasons Robert. It could be a twist in the wing, a lateral inbalance, an off-set rudder/fin, a curved fuselage.

Do you have a lot of flying experience? If not Denis is right - you really need to get a experienced pilot to trim and set up the model in the air. Aeropolanes very raely fly straight and true "out of the box" as it were.

BEB

Why didn't you go to your local club and find an experieinced pilot for the first flight! Everyone who tries to test fly their first model themselves ends like this.

The first thing any club should do is check over the model - it's very very rare there are no faults to rectify. Checking all the linkages are sound, CG is correct, sufficient rubber bands ( 6 strong ones needed usually) Battery cannot move and alter CG, control directions correct, sufficient movement and rate settings to allow some change if required, hinges secure ( and pinned?)   checking for warps etc.    Those are the things we check for newcomers and almost everyone fails on one of those checks but they are easily rectified. BEFORE the first flight. And of course proper club memers are insured just in case of a 3rd party accident ( not your plane though- that's your risk! )

Edited By kc on 14/05/2018 10:59:47

To push in front of the queue of people waiting to say 'I told you so' and try to offer a technical explanation, would I be right in assuming that it initially flew straight and then suddenly dropped the right wing and lost height? Or did it simply veer right without losing height (i.e. it was always below the level of the tree?)

Wings having slipped in the wing bands, or a stall (as an indirect result of attempting to gain height too quickly) could be explanations.

If it helps, I started with a similar (in my case, 2 channel) glider and successfully taught myself to fly it, so although it's not the recommended route, it is possible.

Having become (by my own assessment) a reasonably experienced intermediate pilot, I recently went back to the original glider, and flew it again. I expected it to be easy, after all - I had since flown fast 4 channel sports models and scale aircraft. It was NOT easy. Part of the difficulty with training aircraft, and particularly gliders like this, is that they are deliberately slow to respond. To give you more time to think. But that means that you flying it (rather than it flying you) is quite a mental challenge to overcome - you really have to stamp authority on it and get it to fly where YOU want it to fly. That, in my experience, is one of the main initially difficulties with teaching yourself.

So it's perfectly possible there is nothing at all wrong with the plane, that due to inexperience you simply didn't have enough authority over it. This is where a computer simulator REALLY helps.

Please get it repaired and in the air again. A club or experienced flier is great, but if you don't want to go that route, it's perfectly understandable, and there are other options. This forum is a great source of advice, so you are already making progress.

Good Luck.

TWS

Just a response to TWS, when I launched it i was more worried about it just crashing instantly but it seemed to climb to quickly so I put a bit of down elevator and and that's when it veered right, the tree's where behind me, the plane is quite light and maybe the breeze caught it but it didn't respond and in less than two seconds it was all over. But in the process of repairing at this moment and should be done quite soon repaired the rib and leading edge just need to put the sheeting and cover it and try again in a field with no trees

'tis but a scratch. She'll live again.

As for

"Seemed to climb ok then went right and it was all over in a few seconds"

Stall, overcontrolling, wind, wings shifting, warps, bends, twists, CG, radio install, control run install, surfaces, could be anything. I would say the first model teaches you lots of stuff, but the lessons tend to be a bit harsher outside of a club environment. A club is after all, generally full of people who have been doing this malarkey for a long time.

Best of luck whichever route you go!

Posted by Chris Walby on 14/05/2018 13:01:05:

From a practical point of view it might be worth doing a few unpowered hand launches, just to see how it glides a short distance. This might highlight any wayward tendencies and limit the damage.

Just a thought

Or find a field with a bit of a slope on it, just a slight gradient, and extend the glide a way.

Keep at it. Don't fall in love with your trainer, it is like falling in love with a hammer. Both are tools for a job. If you ever get good advice in this game, that advice has cost the provider a lot of grief and airframes. Game of blood.

Maybe too much down in Robert, perhaps reduce the throw to one centimeter

Be ready at launch, if the model fly's then reduce throttle rather than holding down too long

If all appears comfortable then let it level off

If it starts to decend then add a few more clicks of power

ASAP trim for level flight

Practice feeling for trims with the slightest of glances at the controls

Hold the wings level until enough trim has been applied

As you bank slightly to turn, pull up elevator gently to get you round

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/05/2018 17:18:33

Posted by Don Fry on 14/05/2018 16:53:41:
Don't fall in love with your trainer, it is like falling in love with a hammer. Both are tools for a job. If you ever get good advice in this game, that advice has cost the provider a lot of grief and airframes. Game of blood.

Game of blood? I approach this by starting to build the next plane while I am getting to grips with flying the previous one. That way, it is never my 'latest pride and joy' that is at risk...

Several people seem to have suggested that it's OK to try to teach yourself to fly but if they look at Robert's other posts they will see he seems to live in south Essex which is one of the most crowded areas now. Full of people who will no doubt sue you if crash and hit their Ferrari or even their Fiesta or their child. And yet it's an area full of clubs - Two Tree Island, Thurrock, Brentwood, Dagenham, Bretons( at Elm Park), West Essex ( at Bulphan), Chelmsford, Anglia ( at Runwell) etc, etc, But very few large public spaces where the public are allowed to fly models! So in this day and age of litigation and legislation it's not practical to teach yourself unless you live way out in the wilds and have the landowners permission to fly.

I guarantee you that at least 2 and probably all of the clubs I mentioned will find you an instructor to have a first flight at no cost - as long as you come at a suitable time with a sutable model of course. Instruction is normally free for club members anyway ( subject to an instructor being willing) and for that flrst flight you don't even need to be a member ( remember that the BMFA rules covers that situation) So really no reason to try to fly again on your own! Check out the BMFA website and locate a club which is near you and get the secretary's details or just turn up at flying times.

Edited By kc on 15/05/2018 13:29:33

Response to kc, two tree island is the closest to me but none seem to have a website and I cannot get through to anyone, I really want lessons so I don't destroy another plane. When I fix it I think I will just go there and hope I can get some good advice and maybe a lesson because I don't want to be climbing tree's again. I was lucky to get away with little damage and if the model shop wasn't closed it would be fixed today, if anyone lives in Southend and wants to teach me I would really appreciate it as this is a hobby i really want to get involved in, i m hooked and am not going to give up easily. I'm already getting ready to build the next one but I really want to see my first build fly.Thanks for all your support i really appreciate it and enjoyed the hammer jokes!!

Good stuff Robert

An RC simulator might be a worthwhile purchase, at this stage. They are close enough to reality that you can get a very great amount of time usefully improving your flying skills, without any risks or comebacks.

I use a sim regularly - there are a ton of manoeuvers I have yet to master and need practice with. In the long run it has been one of my best value hobby purchases.