Precedent models from the 80, Hi-Boy, Low-Boy and Supernova

Hi.

I have just re-started in the hobby after a few years off (about 30 actually) and I have started to get some Precedent models together since I loved my Hi-Boy and then Low-Boy back in the day.

I have managed to get a well built but un-flown Hi-Boy series 2 and an un-built kit for a Hi-Boy series 2 as well as an un-built kit for a Low-Boy.

I have also purchased what is badged as a Precedent Hi-Boy Supernova, this has what appears to be the correct original decals to back this up. It is a scaled up Hi-Boy with 72inch 2 part built up wings and a steerable nosewheel. The person I purchased it from has had it for some time but knows nothing of its origin.

I have done a lot of searching around the internet and Facebook groups and can find no reference to a Hi-Boy Supernova or Precedent Supernova.

I was coming to the conclusion that it was a home build based on a scaled up Hi-Boy but another unbuilt ARTF (just needs to be covered) Precedent Supernova has just popped up on ebay.

This leads me to believe it was an offering from Precedent but I would love to know more about this model, was it released in the Balsacraft or SLEC era etc and anything else anyone can remember about its origin.

I also have a question about the Low-Boy. I still have my original Low-Boy (in a hopefully restorable condition), but the unbuilt Low-Boy kit I have just bought appears to be considerably updated from my original model. The entire fuselage has been updated with a totally different canopy design and rear turtle deck. Does anybody remember when it was updated and why it was still sold as a lowboy 5 rather than calling it a series 2 like the Hi-Boy.

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard and welcome.

I can't help with the Supernova, but I believe the Lo- Boy became the Lo-boy 5 when flaps were added, hence the 5 indicating the fifth channel - may be totally wrong mind... wink

I'm glad you enjoyed your Hi-Boy, the ones I flew back in the day were pretty awful !

I started back into the hobby many years ago, I flew control line then moved onto other things for approx. 30 years,I got the aeromodelling itch again and went into my local hobby shop and the only names I reccognised were Supre Tigre and Futaba, so, I came out armed with a Futaba skysport 6, Supre tigre engine and a precident Hi-boy. this set up took me via many crashes and rebuilds, some 2 months off with the plane at rest in a local farmers field, the plane was found by the farmer and returned, the wing was twice the weight due to water damage, the wing was dried by leaving in front of the radiator, and flown the following Sunday, with the passing of about 12 months I managed to obtain my A test, and passed the plane onto another beginer, my memories of the Hi- Boy are of a very docile plane ideal for learning with.

For an improving beginner (or returning modeller) who has a yen for Precedent models I don't think you can do better than the Funfly. What's more an improved version with a built up wing and an electric option is still in production. I had a couple and passed my 'A' with one of the originals powered with a Super Tigre 34 which replaced the Irvine Q40 I originally fitted to tone it down a bit. On the Q40 the performance was ballistic.

I did a bit of learning with my instructor's very battered Hi-Boy but, whilst it flew OK, it wasn't a patch on my Funfly. Both mine had foam wings. I'm sure the built-up wings will be much better.

Geoff

Hi Richard

You are right about the LoBoy makeover. It was revamped. I'm sure any reasoning behind keeping the name is lost in the mists of time. I had a LoBoy 5 which I loved (but I sold it to make room for more models). Here it is - tough as old boots.

img_4421_1.jpg

I also have a HiBoy that I use for teaching:

pict2479.jpg

And I used to have a HiFly as well!

imag0317.jpg

Just get yours built and enjoy flying them!

• Like 1

Ah, Precedent designs. Here's my BiFly 25. Six flights just yesterday.

20180313_123559.jpg

Great fun with the power kept on - glides like a brick, although that makes for nice and steep approaches (even if they are quite fast).

Always aerodynamically sound designs. Sometimes unfortunately saddled with die cut (or was it die crushed) liteply, on airframes that were a bit too small to really work well with it, and often accompanied with, how to describe, not the lightest balsa in the shop.

So they were often a bit porky, but otherwise good models. If you were prepared to replace some of the timber they could turn out rather nicely.

The reported poor flight qualities of their trainers were more down to them being a novice's first build, I think. Nothing wrong with the HiBoy or FlyBoy design.

Weren't the Balsacraft offerings were a bit more "premium" than the Precedent line?

• Like 2

The T240 was a bigger version of the T180. A fellow club member was chucking his old 180 around the sky like a good un on the weekend.

I still have a Hiboy used now and then as an engine test bed,has the wing from a Rojair cadet 62 though.

Edited By J D 8 on 16/05/2018 12:04:33

Posted by Nigel R on 16/05/2018 11:55:05:

Ah, Precedent designs. Here's my BiFly 25. Six flights just yesterday.

20180313_123559.jpg

Great fun with the power kept on - glides like a brick, although that makes for nice and steep approaches (even if they are quite fast).

Always aerodynamically sound designs. Sometimes unfortunately saddled with die cut (or was it die crushed) liteply, on airframes that were a bit too small to really work well with it, and often accompanied with, how to describe, not the lightest balsa in the shop.

So they were often a bit porky, but otherwise good models. If you were prepared to replace some of the timber they could turn out rather nicely.

The reported poor flight qualities of their trainers were more down to them being a novice's first build, I think. Nothing wrong with the HiBoy or FlyBoy design.

Weren't the Balsacraft offerings were a bit more "premium" than the Precedent line?

Nigel, what engine have you got in it? The other thing I seem to remember about the Precedent kits is that the instructions were quite optimistic about the minimum size engine. The Bi-Fly 25 instruction manual recommends .19 to .25 c.u. I have a suspicion that may not be enough...

Wright Stuff, my dad originally had a 25 in it (he thinks) and flew it for several years before selling it on. It suffers from Precedent wood selection - I would guess at it being close to 5lb with a full tank of fuel and the 25. "Keep it moving" he says. Anyway, after he sold it, it got passed around between a few more of his clubs number and somewhere along the way it was electrified.

In its current incarnation, the power train is a 10x5 prop in front of a Mega 22/30/4 on 4S 2200 lipos. This gives in the region of 480W freshly charged. And needs all of it. Takes off at 4 1/4lb including lipo (if no lipo, abort take off).

It is a decent flyer, does all the usual sport aerobatics and looks the business.

I have learned a few things about it -

Knife edge, no chance, not with my abilities at any rate.

Spins need lots of height - 3 turn recovery, minimum, with power off.

Lastly, don't show off your three point landing skills to the assembled onlookers, just fly it in, there's so much drag the three pointer isn't necessary, with power off it comes down pretty damn quick. Also, unexpected flick rolls following crosswind rudder corrections are an embarrassing end to your aerobatic display showcase.

No, that's not right Chris. My LoBoy (still got the build manual) has the flap and is not a turbo. IIRC, they did revamp the Hiboy with a non-dihedral wing and flaps and called it the Hiboy Turbo.

I think the original Loboy looked suspiciously like a Kamco Kavalier and perhaps they were asked to do a redesign to introduce some more original features....

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 16/05/2018 17:42:19

• Like 1

Hello Richard

​If anyone will know it will be Dave Milbourn who designed many of the Precedent kits. He is a frequent contributor on the Model Boats forum and if you click here you should find him. Quite a guru on the Fairey Marine range of boats as well.

​Levanter

As I recall, the Super Nova was right at the end of Precedent production and a possible counter to the flood of low wing loading ARTFs that had started arriving. The fuselage was pre-built.  It was some time from it being announced to becoming available.

Here is one as it would arrive, for sale on eBay:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Balsacraft-Precedent-Super-Nova-72-Span-RC-Plane-Kit-Trainer-/173306541313

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 16/05/2018 18:48:15

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 16/05/2018 18:50:00

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 16/05/2018 18:46:01:

As I recall, the Super Nova was right at the end of Precedent production and a possible counter to the flood of low wing loading ARTFs that had started arriving.. From what I remember, the fuselage was pre-built.

That matches up with the one that has popped up on ebay. It looks as it the fuselage and built up wings were already made and ready to be covered.

Hopefully I will find out how well it flies before too long. Looks very like a large Hi-Boy with a moulded cowl and windscreen.

I have a Lo Boy 5 under construction. It is one of my fill in models when I get bored with the others. Wings joined but with a very slight amount of dihedral just to stop them looking droopy. The wing joiner had to be sunk a couple of millimetres more but it hardly shows. Does mean that I will have to split the flaps but they can still be operated from the single servo with a forked pushrod.
​Quite a lot of ply has been taken out to lighten the sides.
​Will be my first veneered foam wing job.

Levanter

I had a lo-boy 5 that I had purchased at a club auction. I took it on the one occasion that I went to the flying holiday in North Yorkshire (can't remember the name but it took over a holiday camp). I was helping to run one of the two RC fields, about 5 miles away, so I didn't get much chance to fly. At the end of one day, my colleague said "go on then, have a quick one". I did all the pre-flight checks, started it up, took off, throttled back and was just about to start a circuit. For some reason it lost signal (no failsafe in those days) so off it went, straight and level, about 1/3 throttle. I found it in a hawthorn hedge about a mile away.