Jeti new Tx for 2019

SONNY MONKS

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/05/2018 08:11:30:
It will not be competition with the Horus unless it can run OpenTX, which I very much doubt.
BEB

To be fair BEB the Jeti OS is one of the more flexible ones; it's a lot closer to OpenTX than anything other than maybe Multiplex. I personally don't think they are trying to compete with the Horus (which even FrSky fans like us admit has not really been much of a commercial success) - it's middle ground Futaba, JR and Spek buyers they will be targeting who just want decent functionality and build quality and a name they can trust. If the price was the same choosing this over a Futaba is a no brainer, we know it will have miles more modern features and the build is going to be at least as good and almost certainly better.

What they are realy trying to do is sell a lower priced "gateway" product that gets people hooked on their excellent telemetry sensors and other high end integrated products (servos, ESCs etc). They will probably also allow software features to be added vaia additional payments a la the DS14 (not a model I think is justifiable these days, but if people will pay I suppose it makes commercial sense).

• 2 years later...
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 18/05/2018 17:54:24:

Thanks for the link Ron,but it looks plastic the ds12,are jeti now slipping in quality i wonder!

The way I understand it, they went for halving the weight. Many prefer a lightweight tranny to a heavyweight one.

Posted by MattyB on 23/06/2020 23:34:36:

Posted by perttime on 23/06/2020 13:27:39:

The way I understand it, they went for halving the weight. Many prefer a lightweight tranny to a heavyweight one.

Edited By MattyB on 23/06/2020 23:37:06

Thanks for the bump.

Jeti radios are nice. Would I buy one? No.

I don't care about the prices but:

1) Jeti radios only exist at all because of an EU 'Small countries development grant' so justified or not I have personal doubts about their continued existence.

2) There is no large and long established UK agent and those small agents that do exist are constantly changing. So among other problems with such agents,  such as "who's the best small agent this week?" I have doubts about getting it fixed if it breaks.

3) Over the years all the several Jeti ESCs I have purchased have melted sooner or later even though used well within spec. So I have doubts about Jeti's technical competence and quality control.

4)The constant promotion of Jeti by a well-knows US agent on a well-known US forum indicates that a Jeti installation, can be as complicated and can involve as many boxes as an Apollo Moon Mission.

What do I use? Multiplex, and have done so for year. But their quality, though 'adequate' is not as good as it used to be.

Alternatives? Only one - The Futaba T18SZ. It is more than double the price of a Multiplex Evo, Royal, or Royal SX But other than OpenTx it is the only one that comes even remotely close to their functionality. As for OpenTx, I'm totally put off by all the dopey, ever self-promoting fanboyism over a mere machine.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 09:01:28

Posted by Ron Gray on 24/06/2020 09:04:52:

Jeti UK

Quite a few F3A guys use Jeti equipment both radio gear and ESCs, they don't seem to have problems.

Here we go again - 'As for OpenTx, I'm totally put off by all the dopey, ever self-promoting fanboyism over a mere machine' - Yawn!

They do, you know, they just can't resist - "Closer to OpenTx except maybe for Multiplex" - MattyB on this thread. 

Incidentally the founders of OpenTx were  greatly influenced by the functionality of the already existing  Multiplex  OS. Thus Multiplex  is not 'similar' to OpenTx,  it's the other way around.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 10:06:10

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 09:56:23:

Jeti UK

Quite a few F3A guys use Jeti equipment both radio gear and ESCs, they don't seem to have problems.

Here we go again - 'As for OpenTx, I'm totally put off by all the dopey, ever self-promoting fanboyism over a mere machine' - Yawn!

They do, you know, they just can't resist -

"Closer to OpenTx except maybe for Multiplex" - MattyB on this thread. As if OpenTx was some kind of 'only true God'

Blimey, give it a rest Richard. That post was made over 2 years ago (for some reason perttime responded to this thread yesterday after a 2 year gap), and it remains factually accurate. My point was and is that the logic within the Jeti OS is very similar to Multiplex or OpenTX i.e. they fully separate inputs, mixes and outputs and then integrate logical switches for additional functionality. This is in marked contrast to Spektrum, Futaba etc that mostly rely on fixed master/slave mixing labelled by control type (i.e. elevons).

The former approach is far more flexible as you know from your Mpx sets (I also used an Evo back when I was on 35MHz, a great set though the build was somewhat questionable). Indeed the original creators of OpenTX are quite happy to credit the Multiplex P4000 logic as being an inspiration behind their original project to create a fully flexible open source OS. It is a great shame that firmware could not have been updated by Mpx - they could have been in a great position if they had - but it's creator was apparently killed in a car crash and it was insufficiently documented for anyone else to continue his work.

I get that you don't like the more complex setups that some (including me ) often use OpenTX for, and that's fine - your hobby is not my hobby, we are all different. You are welcome to choose and use whatever kit and setups you like, but please afford the rest of us the same courtesy. 

Edited By MattyB on 24/06/2020 10:27:28

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 08:59:04:

Your choice.

1) Jeti radios only exist at all because of an EU 'Small countries development grant' so justified or not I have personal doubts about their continued existence.

2) There is no large and long established UK agent and those small agents that do exist are constantly changing. So among other problems with such agents, such as "who's the best small agent this week?" I have doubts about getting it fixed if it breaks.

3) Over the years all the several Jeti ESCs I have purchased have melted sooner or later even though used well within spec. So I have doubts about Jeti's technical competence and quality control.

4)The constant promotion of Jeti by a well-knows US agent on a well-known US forum indicates that a Jeti installation, can be as complicated and can involve as many boxes as an Apollo Moon Mission.

What do I use? Multiplex, and have done so for year. But their quality, though 'adequate' is not as good as it used to be.

Alternatives? Only one - The Futaba T18SZ. It is more than double the price of a Multiplex Evo, Royal, or Royal SX But other than OpenTx it is the only one that comes even remotely close to their functionality. As for OpenTx, I'm totally put off by all the dopey, ever self-promoting fanboyism over a mere machine.

1) They've been around for 27 years and are doing well.

So any company that gets a grant from their govenment should be avoided?

2) The dealer I use has been around for years and has superb customer service.

I haven't seen a change in the Jeti dealer change at all.

3) Never ever had an issue with numerouns Jeti ESCs.

4) So what. You can make your installation as simple or complex as you or your model requires.

Multiplex - Would never use having seen a model brought down by a nearby phone ringing...

Futaba. No comment...

Posted by MattyB on 24/06/2020 10:14:13:

...That post was made over 2 years ago (for some reason perttime responded to this thread yesterday after a 2 year gap), and it remains factually accurate. ..

Edited By MattyB on 24/06/2020 10:27:28

A couple of reasons:

- It mainly remains factually accurate, perhaps with the exception of the jab about Jeti going cheap.

- I'm considering an upgrade from 35MHz, and Futaba and Jeti are now the main contenders. Comments elsewhere suggest that Futaba is good if you just want to fly but Jeti is great if you want to tweak the features.

2) There is no large and long established UK agent and those small agents that do exist are constantly changing. So among other problems with such agents, such as "who's the best small agent this week?" I have doubts about getting it fixed if it breaks.

Richard

As someone who made the change to Jeti after many years using Futaba, I can say that your assumptions, prejudices and falsehoods are your issue. They are certainly not concerns of anyone who is a Jeti user and certainly not those of us in the UK who enjoy consistent and reliable support, stockholding and delivery times from the distributor, who, I might add seems able to grow the business year on year on the back of Jeti sales.

If you don't want to use Jeti, then fine, your choice, but your remarks are coming over with the inference that nobody else should use it either.

PS - my oldest Jeti ESC in current use was bought in 1997. Maybe you are doing something wrong...

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 09:56:23:

Jeti UK

They do, you know, they just can't resist - "Closer to OpenTx except maybe for Multiplex" - MattyB on this thread.

Incidentally the founders of OpenTx were greatly influenced by the functionality of the already existing Multiplex OS. Thus Multiplex is not 'similar' to OpenTx, it's the other way around.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 24/06/2020 10:06:10

It would be far more accurate that OpenTx is similar to MPX Mc 4000 programming and not the watered down version used in modern MPX radio’s, I say that as an avid MPX user of 25+ years, Still have two 4000’s and a 3030 along with evo 12 and a Royal SX 16 the Global mixers on the SX (and evo, as this is now running SX software) is just aggravating me,

I made the change to Jeti which gives me back the 4000 capability in a 21st century package, as to Jeti being around, they have been around for 25+ years and have built a reputation on good solid, reliable products, they moved into the radio side and in my opinion have excelled in it, there are a few Jeti agents in this country all giving excellent service, the main importer / agent being Jeti UK/ Esoaring Gadgets give the excellent service and stock levels along with the others and all use the products and stand by them.

The funniest thing in all of this is that MPX themselves are marketing their new TX which can also be considered as a ‘Fanboy’ radio as it is manufactured by Core, yes they are selling a re badged Core TX with changes to some programming, hopefully not their origin, this is not a dig at the Core TX as it also is a very capable radio, but sadly more of a decline of a once innovative forward thinking company who were at the top of their game, I still enjoy my MPX radios in a way of a comfy pair of slippers but if I want a more complex programming for both gliders and power models I enjoy Jeti far more.

I also have OpenTx and like it because it is a modernised 4000 capable OS so all this willy waging concerning TX’s and OS is nonsense, if what you have works for you great, enjoy, some of us like to push a bit more and appreciated technology and experimentation.

We are lucky these days that most pockets are catered for in this hobby so most who want it, get it.

I think I'm probably one of the earliest users of Jeti radio in this country, having decided to take the plunge into 2.4 due to their reputation for quality products and primarily as they were the first, as far as I'm aware, to offer telemetry to the masses.

Within a day of reading of of their release in the hallowed pages of RCM&E in early 2009, my order was with Puffin - as far as I'm aware, the only previous official importer to ESoaring Gadgets - for a transmitter module, receiver and vario module and the collection soon grew. Receivers were at a competitive price...this was before products such as FRSky, Orange and Lemon and with the exception of one that spent over 4 years in the upper branches of a tree exposes to the elements (and still worked when finally retrieved from the undergrowth after it finally blew down) are all still in regular use.

The upgrade to a dedicated transmitter when they were released was resisted for nearly 6 months as it was such a considerable investment but I eventually decided that it should give me a good 10 years of service, reducing it to a cost of little over a couple of pounds a week and took the plunge nearly 7 years ago. If the DS12 had been available then I would certainly have given it strong consideration but I have had no cause to regret this decision so far and it has actually become a considerably better transmitter system over the years due to continuing upgrades, showing no sign of its age physically either - something that couldn't be said of my old FF9 with its wrinkled plastic and various scuffs. A broken plastic gimbal on that cost me a favourite model too!

I have to say that had FRSky been available earlier I would have been very tempted but I've never tired of the "quality feel" of the Jeti and I'm very thankful that I made the investment when I did. Yes, it's an indulgence and cheaper equipment would fly my models but anything we spend on model flying is a luxury. Many people are wary of the weight of the hand held version but I quickly became unaware of it and I'm afraid most plastic transmitters just feel "cheap" in comparison. I've yet to hold a DS12 so I can't comment on their "feel".

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 24/06/2020 10:37:35:

Richard

As someone who made the change to Jeti after many years using Futaba, I can say that your assumptions, prejudices and falsehoods are your issue. They are certainly not concerns of anyone who is a Jeti user and certainly not those of us in the UK who enjoy consistent and reliable support, stockholding and delivery times from the distributor, who, I might add seems able to grow the business year on year on the back of Jeti sales.

If you don't want to use Jeti, then fine, your choice, but your remarks are coming over with the inference that nobody else should use it either.

PS - my oldest Jeti ESC in current use was bought in 1997. Maybe you are doing something wrong...

Maybe next time I will re-consider Jeti as I have the same doubts (justified or not) about the future of Mpx radios. They have already dropped the 'new' Profi and all but one version of the Royal SX. Why change? I don't like all my eggs in one basket, which they are at present so I don't want to add to my existing 30+ Mpx 2.4 receivers, all of which are in use..

As for Jeti ESCs, rest assured I do know what I am doing, having flown electrics ever since they first appeared, starting with a Fred Militky Silentius free flight in the late 1950's.