Does Hobby King stock an APC equivalent range of propellers?

Erfolg

I have broken the propellor on my Accuris HK Biplane. The propellor is an APC style made by Gemfly Hobby an 11* 7E.

In my stock I found a couple of 11 * 6 propellors supposedly electric/IC.

I did weigh them and used the lightest, which I can only estimate as being in the region of 30% heavier.

Having now flown the model again with the substitute propellor, the model is appreciably slower and lacks the guts that the lighter propellor provided.

As I will have to send away for a prop, I might as well as wait for the arrival of a HK equivalent. The trouble is they have stopped listing APC style propellors.

Is there currently a substitute in their range?

Advert

I now have to buy on line, not having anything approaching a LMS, the APC style, quality and total price meets my needs and wants, when purchased from HK.

The UK suppliers of APC are considerably more expensive per item, the UK post is extortionate, the final straw is that they are often no faster.

It is HK for me every time now that Giant Cod has gone.

I recently bought some 'Aerostar Composite Propellor' (ACP!!!) 6x4 props for a park jet and was extremely disappointed with the quality. There was considerable flashing on both of them which took a lot of cleaning off and balancing before I could use them.

I then got some APC props from the Weston show and the difference was chalk and cheese. May be twice the price, but well worth it.

I bought a couple of 13x6.5 electric props from RapidRC at Cosford today for £3.90 each. They look very similar to APC but I haven't tried them yet. They're called Gemfan.

I broke the prop on my Gypsy Moth on Thursday after inadvertently landing down wind (the wind boxed the compass several times during the day!) and it nosed over on the grass so I needed some spares. I can't complain I must have done at least 50 flights and at least twice that number of landing with the prop I broke. As for quality of props, I don't think my flying skills can tell the difference - all I do is make sure the current draw is within limits and there's sufficient power.

Geoff

Martin

I have to pay the post anyway. Typically UK MS charge in the region of £5 for post.

From the Netherlands it is £2.30.

With respect to balancing, I always do, that includes APC. The only ones i can remember not requiring anything at all were Master, even then it has been the odd one, the rest benefiting from the process..

Erf have a look at Bang Good.APC are listed down the page. ---https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bang+Good+Aircraft+Propellers&oq=Bang+Good+Aircraft+Propellers&aqs=chrome..69i57.49233j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Example 2pcs 10x6 APC CW £2.38 CCW £1.99 Free postage but time up to 20 weeks. Loads of sizes from about 4"

Edited By onetenor on 08/07/2018 02:31:39

Posted by onetenor on 08/07/2018 02:25:32:

Anyone good with PCs. When I post a link as above and click on it to check the cursor arrow becomes the typing shape I. Anyone Explain what I should do.

I'll try but I'm no expert wink

When you go to address you want to link, right click it, then select copy, go to post, click the link symbol, then click paste in the box https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=136668&p=1#PostTop

Edited By john stones 1 on 08/07/2018 06:14:48

Geoff, Sleath, is correct it is called a Gemfan Hobby, not a Gemfly.

Perhaps I should have suggested that I am looking for a Gemfan replacement, although most would have no idea as to what the style is.

As for quality, I would suggest that the Gemfan stands more than comparison with a APC prop, Possibly better.

As it is I need a replacement prop, in the style of either one. I have learnt one thing if nothing else, that is electric/power props may be good for IC models, they are far to heavy and thick in profile as to the job they need to do in the case of electric models. Hence the APC/Gemfan style.

I am now flying with the lightest of the electric/IC props in the range I have in stock. It is probably 30% heavier than the Gemfan. The model flies much slower, reduced urge and so on.

I have had issues with Chinese folder blades, shedding blades in the past, always now using Aeronaut or Graupner folders being much superior, particularly in the strength around the root area. However with standard props, many of the Chinese examples are pretty good, probably found on 90% of models fly with them, possibly rebadged with a much higher price.

The only suitable three blade 9047 props. I could find for my Leccy Lanc. were from HK. First flight after a major crash rebuild saw one prop. shed all of its blades. I met a guy at W&W with a four engined jobby using 9x5 three bladers which looked to be far superior. They came from `Gliders` would you believe so I now have some to try. No more HK ones for me.

I see nothing intrinsically special about APC propellors. In my case I have used the brand as an example of the type I want.

I have not had any of the propellors I have purchased from HK fail. The issue is i seem to have purchased a lot of propellors that are sold as suitable for electric/IC, which are far to heavy and strong relative to the electric duties i require. The price is a heavier current draw than is necessary.

The only propellors I have that have failed were purchased from the then LMS. The trouble with a blade failure in flight is that the forces that are set up destroy the motor region of the model. Then the model crashes.

There was a time when I would not use APC props, as they seemed to weak. Using them and also APC style props convinced me that I was wrong.

In general I have liked Master Airscrew, thin electric GF types, once I have sorted out the lightweight types from the myriad types produced, from Quads to IC types.

In general I have no issue with any of the Chinese branded propellors, that is as long as i can sort out the light weight, adequate strength types, from the heavy, strong, IC types. Nor do i have an issue with APC other than they are expensive when generally sold in the UK. Both do the job i want.

Regarding Props I repeat Check Gear Best..Gemfan and APC dirt cheap and in stock with free P&P REALLY, REALLY CHEAP. The price would be dirt cheap for one but you get TWO or more. See the link I sent to Erfolg  above. and this one---https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gearbest+propellers&oq=Gear&aqs=chrome.2.69i59l3j69i57j69i60l2.8516j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited By onetenor on 09/07/2018 00:04:47

Edited By onetenor on 09/07/2018 00:07:43

I have had a look at Bestgear, unfortunately all the propellors sold seem to be for Quads.

With respect to HK(UK), they are as local as most UK wholesalers and distributors.

The madness is that postal charges for parcels is cheaper from Holland, than using Royal Mail for UK delivery.

As for local hobby shops, without an on line presence i do not think that the business model works anymore. Even the Blackburn Model Shop/Balsa Mart no longer opens its doors to the public, being on line only. It is approx 25 miles from me anyway. I guess I will not be using them anymore.

To think all I want is a electric prop, that does not weigh a ton, or the strength of custard.

Posted by Erfolg on 08/07/2018 23:05:36:

I see nothing intrinsically special about APC propellors. In my case I have used the brand as an example of the type I want.

I have not had any of the propellors I have purchased from HK fail. The issue is i seem to have purchased a lot of propellors that are sold as suitable for electric/IC, which are far to heavy and strong relative to the electric duties i require. The price is a heavier current draw than is necessary.

APC's are not intrinsically special, like you say, but they are a known quantity & perform as you expect. I buy plenty of budget stuff from HK & it's generally fine. however, I don't quibble over a couple of quid on a prop which can have a hugely disproportionate effect on the performance of a model. buying cheap & discovering the budget props don't perform as you'd hoped seems like a false economy. YMMV.

Hi Carl,

Why don't you try at Banggood?

They have lots of 'APC Style' props in various sizes and pitches. yes

Here is an example for a 10x6 prop at just under 20g. Two pieces for €2,20 & free shipping. Of course you'll have to wait for around 20 days transit.

Good luck & Cheers

Chris